Mainship 390 buyers help needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gaston, that boat is listed on Boatpoint FSBO. Not sure, but I think I see the letters "FL" in what appears to be registration lettering appearing fwd on the port side of the house.

Abbreviation for Florida I think, we have 3 imports with "FL" as part of a home location the owners have not bothered to update. Background in some pics looks a touch tropical for Newcastle. Of course I can`t be sure. It seems very competitively priced, has to be worth the drive to inspect. It`s been on market several months.

Greetings,
Look at the space in the ER. 10+gph @ 12 knots. Thirsty bugger er?

That is about the least inefficient speed that boat could be operated at. Back it off to 7 knots and that boat is burning 3-4GPH.

Gaston, I'm not buying the claim of 20 knots. No way. 2850 RPM at WOT seems a little low. Maybe over propped, just thinking out loud.

Check the transom box for the factory recall foam removal. Water intrusion into the upper deck around the mast can be a problem. Water leaks at the rubrails can be a problem. Engine access can be a problem on the outboard sides so check oil filter access on the starboard engine and water impeller access on the port. There have been leakage problems at the trim tabs. Check fuel tanks for pitting. Check decks and top of gunwales for stress cracks.

How much is $220K AU in dollars?

Good luck, have fun.

Gaston, I'm not buying the claim of 20 knots. No way. 2850 RPM at WOT seems a little low. Maybe over propped, just thinking out loud.

Check the transom box for the factory recall foam removal. Water intrusion into the upper deck around the mast can be a problem. Water leaks at the rubrails can be a problem. Engine access can be a problem on the outboard sides so check oil filter access on the starboard engine and water impeller access on the port. There have been leakage problems at the trim tabs. Check fuel tanks for pitting. Check decks and top of gunwales for stress cracks.

How much is $220K AU in dollars?

Good luck, have fun.

I think the listing is sying he gets 12 knots at 2850(not WOT) and 20 knots at WOT. THose engines have a WOT rating of 3300rpm. Have had a 4LH series engine, 2850 is a sweet spot and where I always ran them.

220k AUD equals 304kUSD. Google is your friend!!!

Or 159,140.46USD according to my app.

I think the listing is sying he gets 12 knots at 2850(not WOT) and 20 knots at WOT. THose engines have a WOT rating of 3300rpm. Have had a 4LH series engine, 2850 is a sweet spot and where I always ran them.

220k AUD equals 304kUSD. Google is your friend!!!

Boat is nearly identical to mine. I can run all day at 2700/2800 and 12k.
20 WOT is doubtful as noted. Mine will run 17k at 3300/3400.

Good Info thanks

What would she use at 7 knots and is 7k the most economical ?

Thanx
Actually, I'm not sure. My Flowscans are not working properly. I forgot what the PO told me, but I believe it worked out to between 3 and 4 MPG at that speed. But yes, around 7k would be your econo cruise setting.

Actually, I'm not sure. My Flowscans are not working properly. I forgot what the PO told me, but I believe it worked out to between 3 and 4 MPG at that speed. But yes, around 7k would be your econo cruise setting.

I would call that the "max endurance" setting. You'll put a lot more hours on your motor(s) covering the same distance. And, maintenance, depreciation, overhauls etc. etc. are a function of hours, not miles.

The most economic speed may actually be a little higher. But, it would take a lot of calculating, including making a few assumptions on TBO etc to find that speed.

I would call that the "max endurance" setting. You'll put a lot more hours on your motor(s) covering the same distance. And, maintenance, depreciation, overhauls etc. etc. are a function of hours, not miles.

The most economic speed may actually be a little higher. But, it would take a lot of calculating, including making a few assumptions on TBO etc to find that speed.

Yes your right and now Im going cold on the twins on a trawler :hide: for my needs and pleasure a big single would be more than adequate

Yes your right and now Im going cold on the twins on a trawler :hide: for my needs and pleasure a big single would be more than adequate
The much traveled KK42 Oogachaka, for sale in Sydney for a long time at $249K AU "negotiable", has a Perkins 135 single. Seems Sydney boaters don`t appreciate the KK. If only it had Bay Pelican`s "get home" engine, though the Pacific crossing would suggest it does not need one.

The much traveled KK42 Oogachaka, for sale in Sydney for a long time at $249K AU "negotiable", has a Perkins 135 single. Seems Sydney boaters don`t appreciate the KK. If only it had Bay Pelican`s "get home" engine, though the Pacific crossing would suggest it does not need one.

I have seriously looked and considered this boat its every thing I would love

The wife sad NO :rofl:

Oh, no doubt the whole maintenance/depreciation/overhaul equation changes DRASTICALLY when you cut the number of motors by 50%........ Except I like to have redundancy, and, well, two motors just sounds COOL..... that's worth something.... right?:rofl:

Oh, no doubt the whole maintenance/depreciation/overhaul equation changes DRASTICALLY when you cut the number of motors by 50%........ Except I like to have redundancy, and, well, two motors just sounds COOL..... that's worth something.... right?:rofl:

Another consideration twins are twice as loud :D

Another consideration twins are twice as loud :D

Especially the 2 stroke DD's I'm thinking about..... someone on a forum said it's like three Harley's starting up at the same time...... vroom...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom