Mainship 350/390 fuel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dave-col

Vessel Name
Moon Shadow
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350/390
Does any one have the dimentions of the fuel tank of a 1997 Mainship 350? I'm replacing the fuel tank sending units and the boat is on the hard 650 miles away, so it's not practical for to measure my tanks. Thank You , Dave

Power Boat Guide lists the tank at 300 gallons, but no dimensions are given.

I am not familiar with your specific vessel,however earlier model Mainships have port and starboard screw off access ports (appx 6"- 8") in the cockpit which give access to screwed cover plates supporting shut-off valves and sending units, Location may be in salon on some models.I would suggest locating removing and retrieving part numbers on existing units along with measurements for duplication. You speak of 1 tank and multiple sending units which suggests 2 stations individually and independent of one another;all of which is speculative on my part. I've found many
"engineers" do not think about logical means for removal and replacement of many parts and systems whether it marine, automotive, agricultural, or structural (power
plants etc.) gotta miss ole school days where fuel tank access went straight to tank
and you could easily have your faithful notched stick to accurately tell what's on board. Good luck whichever path you take.

Big

Dave,
The 350 has 2 150 gallon tanks. You probably are looking for the depth of the tank if you are replacing the sending units. If you can wait until Monday, I will be at the boat and measure them. Let me know by tomorrow.
I hope you have a single engine, that would be tough to do on my twin engine model. Maybe putting an access port in the deck might make it easier. They don't come with access ports installed.

Fuel gauge

Thank you Dave O, that would be very helpful. I think I'm going to cut a couple of access panels in the deck. Looking forward to your post next week.:thumb:

No problem. I'll take a pic or two also.

fuel tank 2.jpg

fuel tank 1.jpg

I am trying to attach a couple of photos of the port fuel tank. I am a little rusty at it, so not sure it is going to stick. I can email them.

The tank is 21 wide x 19 tall x @106 long. The part number is visible and it is a Florida Marine tank.

Access to the sending unit will be via a hole in the cabin floor. It is under the rear port cabinet and in the back starboard cabin floor.

The one photo shows a view to the stern on the port tank. It gives you and idea of the room, or lack of, to work in.

PM your email if the photos don't work.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thank You David O. That is what I was looking for! What year is your Mainship 350? Mine is a 1997 MS 350 and it does not have any fuel tank access panels cut out of the floor. I thing I'm going to do some cutting... Thanks again for the info.

Mine is a 1998 model with twin 4LHDTE Yanmars.

Back
Top Bottom