Mainship 34 - single screw docking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jcon12

Hey guys - I am narrowing my search for a small trawler and really like the early 80's mainship 34.

My biggest concern is the single screw diesel and no thrusters.

Would I regret and resent this boat as it would be a nightmare to take in and out of a busy marina with a narrow slip?

My experience is working a 30'sailboat, 25' grady (single 250hp) and several 18-20 boats.

My biggest gripe with the sailboat was docking - it was almost impossible to do solo (large keel) and overall resulted in my decision to sell the boat.

Thanks for any feedback!

I think you'll find the Mainship worse than the sailboat at docking. Longer length and more sail surface/area from the cabin creating issues from wind at docking. The only good news is lack of large keel.

Well docking is only one aspect of boat ownership. Even if it's hard I wouldn't NOT buy it just because of that.

Do you like the the other qualities of the boat?

I have only driven a Mainship 34 one time. It did have a bow thruster and it was fairly easy to back into the slip. I think that it would be quite a bit more difficult without the thruster. But you can learn to dock any boat without a thruster. It will probably take more going forward with the helm turned and give a burst of power to straighten the boat and then continue in reverse. Good luck.

I came from a twin-screw Grand Banks 42 which could make dance to this MUCH lighter single-engine 30-foot Mainship Pilot II with (THANK GOD) a bow thruster. Without the thruster, I'd have a heck of a time getting into my boat lift going nose first due to the winds and currents always present. With the tiny rudder I have, it is necessary to come should i not have the BT for some reason if I am to have any steerage and hope the reverse gearing holds and the engine doesn't stall. I have practiced this, ONCE just to see what it would take. I assisted a friend when he installed a BT in his Mainship 34, and it was not all that hard. We cut the hole, and a professional fiberglassed the tunnel into place. Then he ran the wiring and installed the motor and switch.

It will take a lot of practice but I know folks who do it with ease.

The OP stated that he sold the sailboat specifically due to difficulty in docking. Sounds like this issue is a deal breaker for him and something he won't able to work around. Or did I misread his post?

If you had trouble getting in and out with a sailboat you'll have more trouble with the 34 without a thruster. It's got lots of windage and is relatively light and shallow. You get blown around in any kind of breeze. Great boat, but that sounds like a deal breaker for you.

We owned a 1978 Mainship 34 trawler single diesel with no thrusters and based on your comment on the single engine sailboat you should not buy the Mainship.

I learned to put my 79’ Mainship damned near anywhere, without a thruster.

Once you learn that it only backs to one direction, and you practice “back and fill” (google and read) you’ll get there.

Peace once or several times a week until you get a sense of what the boat does.

Also, get a Brodie knob on your steering wheel.

We owned a 1978 Mainship 34 trawler single diesel with no thrusters and based on your comment on the single engine sailboat you should not buy the Mainship.
Or buy it, install a thruster, and get some pointers from someone who knows how to maneuver a single engine power boat.

I owned a 78 for 15 years and only had trouble part of the first season.
As hytedin posted I could also put mine anywhere.
I had to back into a slip that was only 3 inches wider than the beam. So I learned quickly.

Learn when the boat does and use it to your advantage.

I learned to put my 79’ Mainship damned near anywhere, without a thruster.

Once you learn that it only backs to one direction, and you practice “back and fill” (google and read) you’ll get there.

Peace once or several times a week until you get a sense of what the boat does.

Also, get a Brodie knob on your steering wheel.

Yes, back and fill is definitely the way to go in this situation, basically it’s a system to turn around on a single screw, understanding the boat’s “transverse thrust” or the direction the stern will move under power applied going astern is an import part of this process. It’s not a lot, but it all helps. When the boats astern direction wanders off course, go back to neutral, then slow ahead with the helm over in the direction you want the boat to spin, and repeat the process as many times as required.
Ease the shift between forward and astern, resting in neutral to be kind to the transmission, and be mindful during the manoeuvre the wind doesn’t blow the boat sideways to “box you into a corner”, or create a situation you can’t power out of, like into a 90deg. corner for example.

I used a long pre-made combination bow and fwd facing spring line with a large loop to drop over the pontoon/slip bollard.
Attach it to the boats bow and midship cleats, come alongside and crew (or myself if single handed) would drop the looped end over the bollard, ease the boat astern which would tighten up on the spring first, then the bow (because they are one line), jump off and secure the stern at your leisure because the boat is still idling astern with pressure on the forward lines.
This process works well if you have a lower helm with adjacent cabin side door and opening side rail access, to make it a single handed operation.

Last edited:
So much depends on your slip and whether you bow or stern in. Also consider the MS will have a tiny rudder compared to your sailboat.
Its doable... yes
Will you like/ enjoy it.. sometimes yes some no.
Could you add a bow or even stern thruster if needed... certainly.
People look down on thrusters or shy away because they are expensive... compare them to twins plus annual maint and they look a lot better.
If you otherwise love the boat I'll bet you can figure a way to make it work. Just plan / reserve some $ if it becomes necessary but I'd try to learn before giving up.

My 2003 30' MS Pilot II can be a handful, even with a bow thrust-er. I also regularly helm a 35' Catalina (no thrusters) which handles like a dream - Because of the big winged keel and Huge rudder. The Catalina will rotate 360 degrees in just slightly more than her length. Not so the Mainship! The rudder on the MS pilot is small and ineffective because the prop is more than 50% buried in a tunnel (don't think the early 34's were). The good news, she only draws 3 ft and the single 315hp Yanmar will jump up on a plane and trot at 28 to 30 kts if you want!

Even though it's sometimes a PITA I still enjoy the challenge. (I also fly an early V tailed Bonanza with essentially no rudder - gives your heart a work out in a cross wind).

I also learned to use spring lines on a single screw, 55' house boat - so I don't hesitate to use one on the Pilot and I keep plenty of line close at hand when its windy or a very tight slip.

If it really bugs you, I would think long and hard about planning to add a bow thruster. As Rgano said its not that big a deal at your next bottom job if you can do some of the grunt work yourself. Other than that, they are great boats - and with a bow thruster - the resale should be substantially higher and easier.

:thumb:

I had a Mainship 34 for about 10 years. I was coming from a twin engine express cruiser and thought I'd have a bow thruster installed. After a couple months on the boat I got a handle on how to maneuver her and passed on the thruster idea. There was only a couple of times I was in a situation where I couldn't do what I wanted to do, so I just didn't in those particular situations. Which was a lot cheaper/easier than installing a multi thousand dollar piece of equipment that would require ongoing maintenance. The Mainship 34 has a pretty large rudder for the size/type of boat and responds well to short bursts of throttle with the helm hard over to position the stern where you want it. That and using the prop walk to your advantage will work well in all but the most adverse docking conditions.

If you had trouble docking a sail boat than you should stay away from any boat with a single engine and no thrusters. in the other hand people that have boats with single engine and thrusters (specifically if it is only one thruster) should practice docking without it and to understand how their boat handle in confined areas.
good luck,

Last edited:
I had a Mainship 34 for about 10 years.

Did that older 34 have a prop tunnel? I find with my tunnel of my 30 the helpful prop walk is nil compared to what a flatter bottom boat would experience.

Practice, practice, practice.
Actually I feel that ours doesn't move around that much in the wind. And we have a big enclosure on the flybridge but we always have it open when running.
Having a bow thruster does make all the difference. I use ours and it's a piece of cake. Find a slip that's protected a little from wind and current.
Our slip is on the left pulling in. Hug the left hand side. When I feel the time is right i give it hard right rudder to move the boat to about 45 degrees to the slip. Then leave the rudder over and use forward and reverse to swing the back end between the pilings. Use the bow thruster to swing the bow around to where it needs to be.

Hey guys - I am narrowing my search for a small trawler and really like the early 80's mainship 34.

My biggest concern is the single screw diesel and no thrusters.

Would I regret and resent this boat as it would be a nightmare to take in and out of a busy marina with a narrow slip?

My experience is working a 30'sailboat, 25' grady (single 250hp) and several 18-20 boats.

My biggest gripe with the sailboat was docking - it was almost impossible to do solo (large keel) and overall resulted in my decision to sell the boat.

Lots of "it depends" involved, and I'd say most of that is around your particular feelings about stuff, your ability to learn, your willingness to practice. Not so much about the boat.

We had an '87 Mainship 34 III, single screw, no thruster... and we just learned to dock it. That includes understanding spring lines. And we practiced. No big deal.

If I were to buy the boat again today... or any other single-screw boat that pops up... I might consider adding a bow thruster... but that's mostly 'cause my budget is better these days, not because I think a thruster would be absolutely necessary.

We thought the Mk III was a pretty good boat, BTW... and even today I'd own one again if it weren't for the ladder to the bridge.

-Chris

Did that older 34 have a prop tunnel? I find with my tunnel of my 30 the helpful prop walk is nil compared to what a flatter bottom boat would experience.

No tunnel. Just a fat keel and a bronze skeg.
And a flat bottom. They walk to port in reverse which is actually very helpful once you realize that’s what it does.
I would back into my slip with the rudder hard to starboard and never touch it only use the tranny and bursts of power.

Read somewhere in this site and it works.
Right hand turning screw, shift the rudder to port between 25 and 30 degrees, the boat will back straight at near idle. Add or subtract speed and idle as necessary to swing the stern. Try it, you'll like it.
Remember you can practice with spring lines too and if your slip is set up properly, you can 'lean' your boat too.

We have a 40 Ocean Alexander with a single and no thruster (s). When we bought it years ago I thought I may add one at some point, it isn't on the list anymore as I have learned the boat's handling attributes ( or lack there of ) and just deal with it.

As others here have said.. practice.

You may bump into things during the learning curve.. that's what fenders are for.

It will make you a better boat driver getting to know what your boat does in many different circumstances.

HOLLYWOOD

IMO, you will make mistakes, miscalculate wind and currents and the thruster is a great “ get out of jail” accessory. It can really save you. Takes all the stress out of docking. I’d make sure you have at least a bow thruster.

I have both bow and stern, magic!

IMO, you will make mistakes, miscalculate wind and currents and the thruster is a great “ get out of jail” accessory. It can really save you. Takes all the stress out of docking. I’d make sure you have at least a bow thruster.

I have both bow and stern, magic!
[emoji106] I have both as well
It wasn't a " must" when boat shopping but OTOH never regretted having them.

Read somewhere in this site and it works.
Right hand turning screw, shift the rudder to port between 25 and 30 degrees, the boat will back straight at near idle. Add or subtract speed and idle as necessary to swing the stern. Try it, you'll like it.
Remember you can practice with spring lines too and if your slip is set up properly, you can 'lean' your boat too.

Don't some right hand engines back to port? And port rudder would aggravate that prop walk?

My Lehman is left handed and backs to starboard.

I have heard some transmissions reverse engine spin, but I don't know which ones.

So one rudder command may not fit all.

Last edited:
We had an 81 Mainship 34 for 15 years. After we first bought it and docked a few times, our intent was to put in a bow thruster at first haul out since I could'nt dock it very well.

We met a couple that had owned a Mainship for several years at a marina and he gave me some pointers. He said to come in fast and use prop walk in reverse to get into a slip. He also told me to leave the rudder hard over when backing up and use prop walk to back and fill.

We adopted his advice and by the end of the first year of ownership, we decided a bow thruster was lower on our priority list. We replaced the analog Benmar autopilot for a modern Robertson AP.

You could hire a boat handling instructor for a day or two to get you up to speed.

Backing into a slip is always a hassle. pull in instead.

No dock looky loos viewing your interior and the best view , and breeze is reserved for you in the cockpit.

Back
Top Bottom