Mainship 34 -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mpkoontz48

Veteran Member
Does anyone know: At what year did they change the engine access to under those molded stairs (in the cockpit)?

Thanks,
Mark

I believe that feature was the standard from introduction. I remember going aboard one of the first models at a boat show and that's how you went into the ER

:socool:

I believe that feature was the standard from introduction. I remember going aboard one of the first models at a boat show and that's how you went into the ER

The older models had ladders to the fly bridge. The ones I'm asking about have molded-in stairs.

The molded stairs were part of the new 34T introduced in 2005. The old 34 Classic had ladders.

David

I am talking about the model with the molded stairs on the starboard side. As I posted, I was aboard that model at its introduction at a boat show and access to the ER was through the stairs that hinged for entry.

These are two entirely different boats. The "original" models like my olde boat, M34 MKI has a ladder to the bridge on the port side. For this model there were 3 variations, with the MKII and the MKIII. The production run was from 1977 to 1988. What is commonly referred to as the 34T was introduced in 2005 and is a completely different boat than the original M34. The 34T has the stairs to the bridge. In between these model years is the 350/390

The 390 and the 34T are both developed from focus groups of original M34 owners and incorporate many of the things they wanted to see like, stairs, transom door, door at helm to side deck, in the 390 and 395 a second cabin etc.

An "original" M34 MKI as my avatar to left, a "new" model 34T below

Attachments

• 6908362_20181115145247349_1_XLARGE.jpg
    6908362_20181115145247349_1_XLARGE.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 34
One other question:
I've seen radars mounted down low (on fly bridge (front)). Is it OK to have that pointed right at your gonads?:banghead:

Attachments

• radar.JPG
    radar.JPG
    33.3 KB · Views: 32
Just wear a tinfoil speedo and your junk will be good to go.
Seriously though, I can’t see how that placement is a good option for 360 degree utilization of the radar.

I am talking about the model with the molded stairs on the starboard side. As I posted, I was aboard that model at its introduction at a boat show and access to the ER was through the stairs that hinged for entry.

These are two entirely different boats. The "original" models like my olde boat, M34 MKI has a ladder to the bridge on the port side. For this model there were 3 variations, with the MKII and the MKIII. The production run was from 1977 to 1988. What is commonly referred to as the 34T was introduced in 2005 and is a completely different boat than the original M34. The 34T has the stairs to the bridge. In between these model years is the 350/390

The 390 and the 34T are both developed from focus groups of original M34 owners and incorporate many of the things they wanted to see like, stairs, transom door, door at helm to side deck, in the 390 and 395 a second cabin etc.

An "original" M34 MKI as my avatar to left, a "new" model 34T below

Your timeline is a little off. The 350 had stairs, a transom door and a walk-through side door at the lower helm, and a 2nd stateroom prior to the 390. Both have hatches in the solon to access the engine compartment.

The 390 is just a rebadged 350, with very slight differences:

-> twins in the 2nd stateroom (350 had a double)
-> dish storage locker above the sink in the galley
-> flush-mounted cabinets in the galley
-> SS railings (not sure if this was an option or standard)

As djmarchand mentioned (not sure if you caught it). Access to the engine compartment through the stairs to the upper in the cockpit was introduced in the 34T in 2005.

One other question:
I've seen radars mounted down low (on fly bridge (front)). Is it OK to have that pointed right at your gonads?:banghead:

Look at the installation instructions on safe distance. Mine is (I think) 1 meter.
That picture looks like it makes 1 meter.
But as noted it won't see anything much aft.

As djmarchand mentioned (not sure if you caught it). Access to the engine compartment through the stairs to the upper in the cockpit was introduced in the 34T in 2005.

And in my opinion one of the worst for access that I have seen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom