Mahalo's 2019 trip to Desolation and the Broughtons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustBob

Vessel Name
Mahalo
Vessel Make
2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Hi Everyone:

We are about a week and a half in to our summer cruise, to Desolation and the Broughton's as the title says. Six to eight week trip, no fixed end date.

These last 10 days of August have really been the pits with high winds. We have had many days with 15+ knots. There have been numerous SCW's in the Strait of Georgia.

So we aren't very far yet, in Howe Sound as I type this. But hopefully now that we are over on the east side of the strait we will make better progress.

I don't really have time to do a full cruise report here, but I am updating the blog (link below) as often as time and cell connections permit.

I will try to revisit here and answer questions/etc. Happy cruising everyone!

In the Gulf Islands, the past 10 days have been quite calm. Today was the windiest, with a few hours of 20 knot winds and 3 to 4 ft waves in Trincomali, though partly due to the big tide ebbing against the SE wind. NO rain either.
We were up in the DS area for a few weeks starting at the beginning of July and folks here in the GI were enjoying way better weather then. The price of less or no crowds in the DS and Broughton area is the weather differential. With your new boat you have the best place to wait out the weather.

Are you seriously worried about the weather in this?

https://www.hamptonyachtgroup.com/models/endurance-658

I think you would be quite comfortable wherever you end up. I just came back from a fly in trip to Hakai Pass, quite a ways north of you, and the weather was nice. We had a layover in Port Hardy and it was mid 70’s and sunshine there!

Bob just doesn’t want to get salt on Mahalo.:)

We had a wonderful time last month playing in those same waters. Keep updating and have fun!

Nice to see you post Bob. Sounds like a great trip and jealous. I’ll have to check the blog again to see what you have been up to.

Have a great trip!

Are you seriously worried about the weather in this?

https://www.hamptonyachtgroup.com/models/endurance-658

I think you would be quite comfortable wherever you end up. I just came back from a fly in trip to Hakai Pass, quite a ways north of you, and the weather was nice. We had a layover in Port Hardy and it was mid 70’s and sunshine there!

Well, whether motoring through 20-25 kts, or trying to sleep through it all night, it still sucks, albeit sucking less than on a smaller, lighter boat. I'm in a bay now with four other boats. Two small powerboats, like 32 footers, and two small sailboats, like 26 footers. About an hour ago we had a gust to 32 kts. All the boats are swinging 180 degrees.

So yes I am happy I'm on Mahalo. But I think I'd prefer some Summer sunshine and gentle breezes.

We faced the same conditions on the way up, Bob. While at Pender Harbour we had a couple days with winds reaching 25-30kts. When we finally decided to venture north we had 15-20kt winds directly on the bow. But once in Desolation everything calmed down and had nice conditions.

Looks like you've got a nice SE push today all the way so pedal to the metal!

Bob
I see you are in Graves at Gambier Island. Nice anchorage. You should have a comfortable trip up, and the weather looks to be improving as you go up. Take some sunshine with you.

I'm sitting here at the Discovery Harbour dock (Campbell River) in sunshine but dark clouds to the west. Today is supposed to be the last day of bad weather for at least a week, so I expect you will have a great time in Desolation. May even see you out there!
The Straits should be okay today and for the next few days although some northwesterlies will be blowing - much better than south easterlies.
Many humpbacks to be seen around here - monitor 7A for reports from the whale watchers.

Thanks everyone. Also got some helpful info in the PNW Yacht Owners facebook group. The morning of the 2nd I saw a gust at 32 kts while on the hook. One of my friends who is part of a weather net ham group reported that several boats had dragged anchor at Garden Bay and had to reset during the night.

The PredictWind models and the marine forecast all said the wind would be all but gone in Pender for the next several days.

As we left Gambier it looked pretty grim. But as we got into the Strait of Georgia, heading NE the sun was out. We had about 9 kts at our back. It's an eerie feeling to step outside the PH and feel no wind!

Arrived Pender, cruised into Garden Bay and anchored. Very warm, no wind. Lots of friendly boaters. I was a bit freaked with sailboats dropping anchor like 125' from us but it all worked out. Just how it is done here.

Today we will explore Pender, get some walking in, tomorrow make way to Desolation.

Just wait until you get to Deso, it will feel like you are on top of one another in the tight anchorages. The only place we felt roomy was at Octopus Islands.

.....a weather net ham group reported that several boats had dragged anchor at Garden Bay and had to reset during the night.

..... I was a bit freaked with sailboats dropping anchor like 125' from us but it all worked out. Just how it is done here.

Bob, We've anchored in Garden Bay many times over the years. It's pretty and it feels snug, but the spacing of the boats anchored there is also pretty snug. I guess it's just one of the spots that the accepted spacing is on the tight side because of it's small size and popularity.

On the wind, we were nearly blown out of there a couple times, also in the middle of the night. When in Garden Bay, if you look east, over the Seattle Yacht Club docks you'll see a pronounced notch in the surrounding mountains. When the wind direction is just right and it's blowing hard, Garden Bay get's strafed. Ironically, in those conditions, it's better to be anchored out in the middle of the basin between Garden Bay and Madiera Park. It's seems open and exposed but it's about the same depth and the wind through that notch doesn't hit it as hard. Plus there's a lot more swing room.:eek:

Bob, We've anchored in Garden Bay many times over the years. It's pretty and it feels snug, but the spacing of the boats anchored there is also pretty snug. I guess it's just one of the spots that the accepted spacing is on the tight side because of it's small size and popularity.

On the wind, we were nearly blown out of there a couple times, also in the middle of the night. When in Garden Bay, if you look east, over the Seattle Yacht Club docks you'll see a pronounced notch in the surrounding mountains. When the wind direction is just right and it's blowing hard, Garden Bay get's strafed. Ironically, in those conditions, it's better to be anchored out in the middle of the basin between Garden Bay and Madiera Park. It's seems open and exposed but it's about the same depth and the wind through that notch doesn't hit it as hard. Plus there's a lot more swing room.:eek:

Ken, right on the money. Today it's blowing more in the open area (despite the forecast for no more than 5 kts). I figure it will all lay down tonight. It's getting to that time where everyone shows up, so we will see what happens.

We went up to Prideaux Haven for several days and had a great time. Swimming, kayaking, etc. One of our gen's had an issue then when we were leaving one of our engines shut down! Sensor failure. Limped into Campbell River. Great service here (Finning CAT and AllTech Diesel for Northern Lights). Engine solved, still working on generator.

We are going to skip going to the Broughton's and enjoy more places in Desolation.

Glad you are having a good time. I love the Desolation Sound area and can’t wait to get up there again.

Bummer on the mechanical issues. Enjoy the rest of the cruise!

My first drone shot of Mahalo. Just left The Gorge on Cortes. What a great anchorage.

Attachments

• drone-0015.jpg
    drone-0015.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 78
As was mentioned, don't miss Octopus! Plus Von Donop Inlet (watch for the rock on the way in); both have guaranteed anchor room.

My first drone shot of Mahalo. Just left The Gorge on Cortes. What a great anchorage.

BBB (Beautiful Boat Bob).

BBB also happens to be one of my favorite drinks, Bourbon, Benedictine, and Bitters, but your boat is better looking.

Glad you are still having fun and hope there are no more mechanical surprises.

Bob, do you have detailing fairies cleaning Mahalo nightly?

We had a great time at Gorge Harbor and was pleasantly surprised at how well stocked the mart was. Dinner at the restaurant was excellent as well.

I was up in Penrose Bay, Eveleigh, Prideaux Haven, Squirrel Cove, Von Donop and Gorge Harbour over a 15 day period in late July. Somewhat busy in places, but always room for another boat.

My favorite spot was Von Donop Inlet - we stayed there for 3 days, and I wish we had even more time.

I really enjoyed the Gorge Harbour marina - I hadn't been there in a few years, and don't remember quite such new facilities.

Can't wait to go back!

Attachments

• DJI_0005-Edit.jpg
    DJI_0005-Edit.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 69
  • DJI_0013-Edit.jpg
    DJI_0013-Edit.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3733.jpg
    IMG_3733.jpg
    178.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DJI_0010-Edit.jpg
    DJI_0010-Edit.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 70
My favorite spot was Von Donop Inlet - we stayed there for 3 days, and I wish we had even more time.

What made Von Donop special for you? Always nice to get feedback on new locations for us. Thanks

What made Von Donop special for you? Always nice to get feedback on new locations for us. Thanks

I think it was a multitude of things, all to be had in one place, which was what made it special.

First, the anchorage is very long with space throughout for boats all along the inlet. It never felt crowded even though there were a lot of boats in there.

Second, there were some even cooler spots to go anchor in that required a bit more planning - the little bays and channels off to the side.

There's a lagoon that fills and empties with the tides that is fun to try to get into, if you can, or even better to hike to and check out. Lots of wildlife both at the entrance and inside.

There are a number of hiking trails, all really well done - some that go to the various bays and lagoons, one that goes over to Squirrel Cove, and then you can go onto the Squirrel Cove store, etc.

There were plenty of places the water got really warm, and that we were able to swim right from shore, but we also did this from the stern of our boats.

It was quiet, rugged views, sea and land life all the time, and felt like you were in a lot more space away from everyone else.

I love Desolation, but some of the anchorages can be pretty full, which is fine as well, but Von Donop was the perfect mix for me.

Nice summary, will definitely try this out next time we visit. Our 3 week cruise went by so fast and wish we could get back soon but will have to wait until next year. Thanks for the feedback!

Nice summary, will definitely try this out next time we visit. Our 3 week cruise went by so fast and wish we could get back soon but will have to wait until next year. Thanks for the feedback!

I'll second the thanks. I've not been in there but it is a place I'd would like to go sometime. The feedback is really helpful.

Bob:

I hope you stopped in at Manson's Landing after leaving Gorge. My first visit to Manson's was in 1971, on our honeymoon, when there were cabins to rent. Then the oysters on the beach were huge, the salmon plentiful and of course the new bride, so we keep going back to visit. Others will still find it an enchanting place.

I second the rec for Von Donop. One of the few places I have encountered a Lynx in my boating. While taking the dog to shore at dawn, I slowed to observe a family of Mergansers paddling into a likely exit for the dog, and saw a Lynx on shore eyeing the ducklings. My noise purposely disturbed the family and upset the breakfast plans of the Lynx.

Don't miss the old logging roads that are now just trails. Lakes too.

Here's another vote for Von Donop. Two factoids:

(1) The mid-channel rock is really there and it looks pretty hard. Be aware.

(2). As already stated, the hiking options are great and trails in good condition. One novelty on the trail system was the large sign warning dog walkers (like me) of the presence of wolves in the are and advising leashes.

More fun!

Attachments

• pd-0022.jpg
    pd-0022.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 56
Back
Top Bottom