Old 08-01-2019, 07:22 PM   #1

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Mahalo's 2019 trip to Desolation and the Broughtons

Hi Everyone:

We are about a week and a half in to our summer cruise, to Desolation and the Broughton's as the title says. Six to eight week trip, no fixed end date.

These last 10 days of August have really been the pits with high winds. We have had many days with 15+ knots. There have been numerous SCW's in the Strait of Georgia.

So we aren't very far yet, in Howe Sound as I type this. But hopefully now that we are over on the east side of the strait we will make better progress.

I don't really have time to do a full cruise report here, but I am updating the blog (link below) as often as time and cell connections permit.

I will try to revisit here and answer questions/etc. Happy cruising everyone!

Old 08-01-2019, 08:30 PM   #2
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
In the Gulf Islands, the past 10 days have been quite calm. Today was the windiest, with a few hours of 20 knot winds and 3 to 4 ft waves in Trincomali, though partly due to the big tide ebbing against the SE wind. NO rain either.
We were up in the DS area for a few weeks starting at the beginning of July and folks here in the GI were enjoying way better weather then. The price of less or no crowds in the DS and Broughton area is the weather differential. With your new boat you have the best place to wait out the weather.

Old 08-01-2019, 10:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

City: Greenbank, WA
Are you seriously worried about the weather in this?

https://www.hamptonyachtgroup.com/models/endurance-658

I think you would be quite comfortable wherever you end up. I just came back from a fly in trip to Hakai Pass, quite a ways north of you, and the weather was nice. We had a layover in Port Hardy and it was mid 70’s and sunshine there!
Jknox0601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 10:46 PM   #4

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Mabuhay
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan
Bob just doesnít want to get salt on Mahalo.

We had a wonderful time last month playing in those same waters. Keep updating and have fun!
w8n4sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 11:04 PM   #5
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Lulu (Refugio sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBob View Post
These last 10 days of August have really been the pits with high winds
July, right?
Old 08-01-2019, 11:08 PM   #6
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Nice to see you post Bob. Sounds like a great trip and jealous. Iíll have to check the blog again to see what you have been up to.

Have a great trip!

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jknox0601 View Post
Are you seriously worried about the weather in this?

https://www.hamptonyachtgroup.com/models/endurance-658

I think you would be quite comfortable wherever you end up. I just came back from a fly in trip to Hakai Pass, quite a ways north of you, and the weather was nice. We had a layover in Port Hardy and it was mid 70ís and sunshine there!
Well, whether motoring through 20-25 kts, or trying to sleep through it all night, it still sucks, albeit sucking less than on a smaller, lighter boat. I'm in a bay now with four other boats. Two small powerboats, like 32 footers, and two small sailboats, like 26 footers. About an hour ago we had a gust to 32 kts. All the boats are swinging 180 degrees.

So yes I am happy I'm on Mahalo. But I think I'd prefer some Summer sunshine and gentle breezes.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #8

We faced the same conditions on the way up, Bob. While at Pender Harbour we had a couple days with winds reaching 25-30kts. When we finally decided to venture north we had 15-20kt winds directly on the bow. But once in Desolation everything calmed down and had nice conditions.

Looks like you've got a nice SE push today all the way so pedal to the metal!
Old 08-02-2019, 11:43 AM   #9
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Bob
I see you are in Graves at Gambier Island. Nice anchorage. You should have a comfortable trip up, and the weather looks to be improving as you go up. Take some sunshine with you.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:15 PM   #10
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
I'm sitting here at the Discovery Harbour dock (Campbell River) in sunshine but dark clouds to the west. Today is supposed to be the last day of bad weather for at least a week, so I expect you will have a great time in Desolation. May even see you out there!
The Straits should be okay today and for the next few days although some northwesterlies will be blowing - much better than south easterlies.
Many humpbacks to be seen around here - monitor 7A for reports from the whale watchers.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:07 AM   #11

Thanks everyone. Also got some helpful info in the PNW Yacht Owners facebook group. The morning of the 2nd I saw a gust at 32 kts while on the hook. One of my friends who is part of a weather net ham group reported that several boats had dragged anchor at Garden Bay and had to reset during the night.

The PredictWind models and the marine forecast all said the wind would be all but gone in Pender for the next several days.

As we left Gambier it looked pretty grim. But as we got into the Strait of Georgia, heading NE the sun was out. We had about 9 kts at our back. It's an eerie feeling to step outside the PH and feel no wind!

Arrived Pender, cruised into Garden Bay and anchored. Very warm, no wind. Lots of friendly boaters. I was a bit freaked with sailboats dropping anchor like 125' from us but it all worked out. Just how it is done here.

Today we will explore Pender, get some walking in, tomorrow make way to Desolation.
Old 08-03-2019, 11:33 AM   #12

Just wait until you get to Deso, it will feel like you are on top of one another in the tight anchorages. The only place we felt roomy was at Octopus Islands.
Old 08-03-2019, 12:38 PM   #13
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Quote:
.....a weather net ham group reported that several boats had dragged anchor at Garden Bay and had to reset during the night.

..... I was a bit freaked with sailboats dropping anchor like 125' from us but it all worked out. Just how it is done here.
Bob, We've anchored in Garden Bay many times over the years. It's pretty and it feels snug, but the spacing of the boats anchored there is also pretty snug. I guess it's just one of the spots that the accepted spacing is on the tight side because of it's small size and popularity.

On the wind, we were nearly blown out of there a couple times, also in the middle of the night. When in Garden Bay, if you look east, over the Seattle Yacht Club docks you'll see a pronounced notch in the surrounding mountains. When the wind direction is just right and it's blowing hard, Garden Bay get's strafed. Ironically, in those conditions, it's better to be anchored out in the middle of the basin between Garden Bay and Madiera Park. It's seems open and exposed but it's about the same depth and the wind through that notch doesn't hit it as hard. Plus there's a lot more swing room.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:21 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Bob, We've anchored in Garden Bay many times over the years. It's pretty and it feels snug, but the spacing of the boats anchored there is also pretty snug. I guess it's just one of the spots that the accepted spacing is on the tight side because of it's small size and popularity.

On the wind, we were nearly blown out of there a couple times, also in the middle of the night. When in Garden Bay, if you look east, over the Seattle Yacht Club docks you'll see a pronounced notch in the surrounding mountains. When the wind direction is just right and it's blowing hard, Garden Bay get's strafed. Ironically, in those conditions, it's better to be anchored out in the middle of the basin between Garden Bay and Madiera Park. It's seems open and exposed but it's about the same depth and the wind through that notch doesn't hit it as hard. Plus there's a lot more swing room.
Ken, right on the money. Today it's blowing more in the open area (despite the forecast for no more than 5 kts). I figure it will all lay down tonight. It's getting to that time where everyone shows up, so we will see what happens.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:21 PM   #15

We went up to Prideaux Haven for several days and had a great time. Swimming, kayaking, etc. One of our gen's had an issue then when we were leaving one of our engines shut down! Sensor failure. Limped into Campbell River. Great service here (Finning CAT and AllTech Diesel for Northern Lights). Engine solved, still working on generator.

We are going to skip going to the Broughton's and enjoy more places in Desolation.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:38 PM   #16
Guru

Glad you are having a good time. I love the Desolation Sound area and canít wait to get up there again.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 08-09-2019, 04:11 PM   #17

Bummer on the mechanical issues. Enjoy the rest of the cruise!
Old 08-13-2019, 02:05 PM   #18

My first drone shot of Mahalo. Just left The Gorge on Cortes. What a great anchorage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	drone-0015.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	92248  
Old 08-13-2019, 02:15 PM   #19
Guru

City: Calgary
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
As was mentioned, don't miss Octopus! Plus Von Donop Inlet (watch for the rock on the way in); both have guaranteed anchor room.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 04:43 PM   #20
Guru

Quote:
My first drone shot of Mahalo. Just left The Gorge on Cortes. What a great anchorage.

BBB (Beautiful Boat Bob).

BBB also happens to be one of my favorite drinks, Bourbon, Benedictine, and Bitters, but your boat is better looking.

Glad you are still having fun and hope there are no more mechanical surprises.

Dave
SPOT page