Magic is at Grand Banks Yachts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hmason

Guru
Vessel Name
Lucky Lucky
Vessel Make
Pacific Mariner 65
One year ago this month our treasured Grand Banks 46 Europa "Magic" arrived in Stuart, FL after a 1,600 mile trip from Westport CT. Having made this trip several times we were well acquainted with the route and the trip was a pleasure. Two weeks later our good fortune changed.

We were tied up at our usual dock at Sunset Bay Marina when with no warning a former sail boater slammed his new to him 37' Nordic Tug power boat which he drove for the first time, directly into the starboard side of Magic. The impact was right at the rub rail and destroyed the stainless steel rub rail, put a small hole in that area, took out the teak hand rail and the teak caprail. It was a t-bone allision (yep it's a word--look it up) his bow into our side.

It took one year to settle with our recalcitrant insurance company (Progressive) but we engaged a maritime attorney and finally got a settlement we can live with.

Now our luck changes dramatically for the better. During our long battle with our insurer, Grand Banks Yachts opened their new US headquarters and service facility in, of all places, Stuart, FL.

We delivered Magic to Grand Banks yesterday and they will perform all the repair work. They have the original construction plans for our boat and are skilled in working on Grand Banks Yachts. All the damage will be repaired and we are taking the opportunity to replace the teak decks with fiberglass non-skid, and replacing the teak hand rails with stainless steel. The entire boat will be waxed and all remaining brightwork taken down to bare wood and refinished. Our boat has been upgraded consistently over time and is up to date in all respects. When all the work is completed we will essentially have a new boat.

And then she will be offered for sale as we will be moving to a bigger boat. We live aboard and are looking forward to bigger spaces. Someone will get a gem.

Very sorry about the long hassle but I'm glad it will be coming to an end soon. Good luck with both the sale and with finding your new home.

GB

One of my favorite all time boats. What year and what will you be listing it for?

Didn't the Nordic Tug's insurance cover the repairs?

The Nordic Tugs' insurance company is Boat US/Geico. They would not make an equitable settlement. I'm sure Progressive will subrogate the claim successfully. Insurance companies want your premiums on time but when you have a claim they look for every reason to deny or low ball.

We have not decided on a listing price as we will wait until the work is done.

Huh, your boat is right next to ours, yet again. I used to be docked at the private slips just upriver from Sunset Bay, right next to the dinghy dock. I could see magic from our slip.

Just before Irma we moved the boat to Lost River Marine, which is right across the canal from Grand Banks (which used to be Stuart Yacht). We like it there, nice and safe.

Let me know how you like working with GB. I'm thinking I will use them for a bottom job in a few months.

Hi Howard,

Please post some photos when the repair works are done, if you can. I would be particularly interested to see the new non-skid areas (that is an exercise which lies ahead of me one day for my GB 'Beluga'...).

Any ideas as to what your next boat will be?

Hamish.

Dougcole and BrisHamish, Watch this thread as I will be posting updates and photos.
Hope it goes well and fast!

I think the purchase of that facility was very smart on the part of GB. At least it gives them some true US presence and the majority of their sales are in the US.

Magic has been at the GB yard in Stuart Fl for one week and progress is being made. I have attached some pics of the area of impact being re-glassed and of the teak decks being removed. There is no evidence of water intrusion in any of the deck areas. The plan is to paint the deck with non-skid using the same paint color (Moon Dust) and pattern as new GB's. This will look like a new boat and I'm quite excited.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 180
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 183
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 194
Pic of section of deck with original glue sanded off, screws removed and holes filled. Pic of point of impact repair just about completed but before gel coat. Oh well, just tilt your head.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 153
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 161
Patience is a virtue! We have an 06 Europa 47 and love her but we are moving aboard full time and selling ours too... Glad your legal battle was positive, good luck on the upsizing too.
Mike & Claiborne
Am I the only one who got a chuckle out of the "former sail boater" to describe the driver of the Nordic Tug? :)

This repair is like saying "I'm only going to replace the kitchen counter tops."

We have decided that "since Magic is at Grand Banks" who would be better than them to remove the teak hand rails and replace them with stainless steel like they build the new GB's? Far less maintenance and a modern look, right? And, since we keep a 700 lb Whaler on the boat deck, lets replace the 1 1/4 inch stainless support posts with 1 1/2 inch.

While we are at it, how about restitching the flybridge enclosure and renewing any snaps and zippers that need refurbishing. OK then, what's next? By the time this is over we might decide not to sell this "new boat." Oh, lets paint the bottom when she's on the hard and do a complete wax job. Stay tuned, we are bound to come up with more. Watch out Ted. :D:D

I'm watching. While one can't replace, repair or refurbish everything, there certainly are some more exterior items worth considering. I would examine exterior lights both navigation and illumination. Some may benefit from replaced lenses or recaulking. I would closely examine power inlets. While it may not be necessary to replace the housing and cover, the replacement of the guts on a boat of that age might be a good idea (if it hasn't been done before). Would look at outside water spigots and dock hose connection (if there is one). I would consider servicing the windlass while it's in the yard. If it's in good shape, cleaning and lubricating the clutch and free spool along with changing the gearbox oil should be inexpensive and keep things working properly. Might consider replacing the dinghy crane cable depending on age. I could go on... ;)

One the nice things about doing this preventative now is that you have a good yard that should be able to access information about any of these systems. If ultimately you sell the boat, it shows perspective buyers your diligence to preventative maintenance both big and small. If you keep the boat, you have the comfort of knowing these systems have been serviced or renewed.

Ted

Last edited:
Thanks for the input Ted. Power connections have been inspected and the power cord is only 2 years old. Plugs remain barely warm during the heaviest loads such as 3 AC’s, water heater and cooktop. Windlass was rebuilt by Imtra a couple of years ago. Davit cable was replaced with Dyneema very recently. Outside spigots were replaced although one needs attention. I do not have a dockside fitting as I don’t trust them. I fill the tanks only (300 gallons lasts awhile). Outside illumination is all LED. Nav lights are serviceable. Anchor and steaming light is LED.

A brief update. Magic is almost ready to come home. Rainy weather is preventing some last details to be finished including waxing. Here's a picture of the new stainless steel rails and a glimpse of the newly wooded and refinished cap rail. Final painting of the new non-skid decks are underway and the teak deck which we kept for the cockpit is being refurbished.

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 107
And the cockpit:

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 106
Falling in love again and will you keep, or still sell?

A brief update. Magic is almost ready to come home. Rainy weather is preventing some last details to be finished including waxing. Here's a picture of the new stainless steel rails and a glimpse of the newly wooded and refinished cap rail. Final painting of the new non-skid decks are underway and the teak deck which we kept for the cockpit is being refurbished.

:thumb: She's looking good!
Probably ought to take her for a short cruise next month to exercise the engines. I hear Fort Pierce in February is quite nice. :rolleyes:

Ted

Gmarr,

The plan is to sell. We need bigger accommodations to serve our growing number of grand kids.

Ted,
I wouldn't think of stealing you shinning example!

Howard where did you have the work done?

And don’t worry no boat will look as good as Very Slow Hand no matter how much spit and polish it has. :)

The work was done at Grand Banks Yachts. They have a yard and their US headquarters in Stuart FL.

Thanks Howard. Yes, I know that yard, they bought it recently. I had a boat there in the beginning of there ownership. If your that close Ft. Pierce is just a stones throw for you.

Thanks Howard. Yes, I know that yard, they bought it recently. I had a boat there in the beginning of there ownership. If your that close Ft. Pierce is just a stones throw for you.

Yes, it’s close. If my schedule works I will let you know. I would drive up for Saturday.

Great, I know all attending would like that (even Ted as he won’t have to put an extra coat of wax on his boat). :)

I have fiberglass decks with moondust and love them. Teak decks are really nice, but I was in charge of keeping the kingfish blood off them on a charter boat, and it was a lot of work. The moondust color slowly fades to the perfect shade.

I have the stainless top rails already.

I was hoping to make Ft Peirce and see your boat. Please let us know the quality of work.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom