Magic is at Grand Banks Yachts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Choices

My boat is similar but I have a teak cockpit, I prefer fiberglass and would also like a fiberglass cap rail. I really love real wood on someone else’s boat.

Hope you can make it to Ft Pierce, good people.

I'm envious of you for having access to quality work, especially the Grand Banks yard. I bought an older Europa (79) three years ago and have been enjoying catch-up since then. I have noticed the later Europas' have reinforced the flybridge deck, and would appreciate photos of what some of you have done. H mason (or Howard, who's is correct on this site) did you keep your Europa and if so would you send me a couple of pictures of the additional support? I will keep an eye out for a possible reply. (BTW, IWAB as a forum name needs to be changed to IHAB��

The Nordic Tugs' insurance company is Boat US/Geico. They would not make an equitable settlement. I'm sure Progressive will subrogate the claim successfully. Insurance companies want your premiums on time but when you have a claim they look for every reason to deny or low ball.

We have not decided on a listing price as we will wait until the work is done.

I’d like to hear more about this- sounds like a simple claim to me. Your vessel was struck by him while import, so his liability should kick in and cover the loss. Progressive should be ready to step in and cover the lossshould the need arise, then quickly subrogate against the offending party.

What am I missing here?

Being in marine insurance for almost 2 decades, I must disagree with your notion that insuring companies look for ways to deny claims or lowball coverage- because that is illegal. Claims are paid per the policy language.

As is Pau Hana, I'm curious too. Getting your boat fixed is great, but maybe there is something here on the claims side we could all learn from. Boat US is presumably in the business of solving member's problems, not creating them.

We’ve been hit twice and both times the insurance company for the offending parties covered the entire haulout/repair bill in a very timely manner. That it took your claim so long sounds awful. Glad it is behind you now!

We’ve been hit twice and both times the insurance company for the offending parties covered the entire haulout/repair bill in a very timely manner. That it took your claim so long sounds awful. Glad it is behind you now!

That is exactly how Insurance is supposed to work. The only thing I can think is is that the policies involved were substandard or had some restrictive language.

I know for a fact that GEICO Marine has differing policies, but all would cover an allision (a moving boat striking a stationary object) without a problem.

From talking to Howard, the repairs were quite extensive.
From my own experience with Geico (automotive), they may be reasonable to deal with on the smaller stuff, but when the numbers are big, they low ball and make you use your lawyer if you want what you're entitled to.

Ted

From talking to Howard, the repairs were quite extensive.
From my own experience with Geico (automotive), they may be reasonable to deal with on the smaller stuff, but when the numbers are big, they low ball and make you use your lawyer if you want what you're entitled to.

Ted

Ted is correct. Although Geico offered a settlement they were not willing to cover all of the work that I insisted needed to be done as a result of the allision. More importantly Geico insisted on a lump sum payment including a release which did not allow a claim for hidden damages uncovered once the repair was begun. And yes I did need to engage a maritime lawyer to negotiate a settlement with MY insurer (Progressive). Eventually I received what I considered to be a fair settlement which was successfully subrogated in total with Geico. Progressive did not require the aforementioned release.

I'm envious of you for having access to quality work, especially the Grand Banks yard. I bought an older Europa (79) three years ago and have been enjoying catch-up since then. I have noticed the later Europas' have reinforced the flybridge deck, and would appreciate photos of what some of you have done. H mason (or Howard, who's is correct on this site) did you keep your Europa and if so would you send me a couple of pictures of the additional support? I will keep an eye out for a possible reply. (BTW, IWAB as a forum name needs to be changed to IHAB��

IHAB, I am not aware of the need to reinforce the flybridge deck; I've not heard of this before. Since I carry a Boston Whaler on the boat deck I replaced the 1+1/4" stainless steel supports with 1+1/2" supports. There are three of them. Frankly I did not really think that was needed but it makes me feel better. I hope this answers your question.

Ted is correct. Although Geico offered a settlement they were not willing to cover all of the work that I insisted needed to be done as a result of the allision. More importantly Geico insisted on a lump sum payment including a release which did not allow a claim for hidden damages uncovered once the repair was begun. And yes I did need to engage a maritime lawyer to negotiate a settlement with MY insurer (Progressive). Eventually I received what I considered to be a fair settlement which was successfully subrogated in total with Geico. Progressive did not require the aforementioned release.

Interesting. Was the work not being covered by GEICO a part of the estimate put forth, or additional work that was outside the scope of the estimate?

In my dealing with claims, it is not unusual to uncover additional damage as repairs are conducted- and those additional findings are part of the claim. I’m not looking for an argument or to negate your situation, but it’s clear to me that there are a host of factors involved that led you to have to litigate against Your carrier- be it policy language or repairs outside the estimate scope.

If anything, this would be a good case study for best practices.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom