Old 10-28-2015, 10:52 AM   #21
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
I've read just about all the marine publications over the years and have boiled them all down to a very few. (Passagemaker is not one of them.)

Pacific Yachting (Really covers the West coast)
Boat U.S. (Rule changes, etc)
★★★ BoatDiesel.com (Very specific info on my engine(s)
Sea Magazine (Cover to Cover!)
Various blogs and boat owners groups

The rest of the periodicals have too much fluff!

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:59 AM   #22

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Thanks BandB!

You just answered my "what to read this winter" question! And I think I'll drag a bankers box of "Wooden Boat" down from the attic too!

GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:26 AM   #23

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Safe Harbour
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Thanks! I'm the managing editor of the Waggoner Guide. Not sure what the etiquette is on this forum for "commercial" posting, so someone please tell me if I overstep.

If there are certain types of articles you'd like to see, questions you have about boating in the PNW, questions about what we do or how we do it, please let me know. It's way more fun to put together a publication/website when I know readers care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
Contrary to several prior comments by other TF members the PM magazine would be far down my list for a source of "interesting cruising-type magazines".

FWIW, I enjoy reading some of the articles in the Waggoner Cruising Guide, Waggoner Cruising Guide - Pacific Northwest Boating along with Ocean Navigator online, Ocean Navigator: Marine Navigation and Ocean Voyaging Resources
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #24
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by high wire
i spend 100 times more time here on tf, t+t, and mtoa.
t+t?
Mtoa?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:04 PM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Myers
All great information already provided, I might add and its free, Power and Motoryacht, they have some nice adventure articles related to Flemings and Norhavn's, did I say its free?
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #26
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retriever View Post
Thanks! I'm the managing editor of the Waggoner Guide. Not sure what the etiquette is on this forum for "commercial" posting, so someone please tell me if I overstep.

If there are certain types of articles you'd like to see, questions you have about boating in the PNW, questions about what we do or how we do it, please let me know. It's way more fun to put together a publication/website when I know readers care.
I would say the Waggoner Guide is excellent and when we were heading into the area it covers, we made excellent use of it. There are many excellent publications about specific areas. That's part of the negative of a national or worldwide magazine is that so much of it is about areas you have no plans to see.

Your website is also very nice and your pricing is great. I just looked at your site now and it reminded me how good your coverage of customs going both ways is. Just saw your poultry announcement.

I know some of the Chesapeake publications are very useful to people in that area.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #27
Guru

City: Pender Harbour, BC
Vessel Name: Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Model: Vancouver Shipyards Custom Aluminum 52
I erased my comments as, upon reflection, it was a thread hijack (not to mention somewhat rude).

Having said all that, Wooden Boat has many good articles even for bleach bottle or metal boaters, I also like Western Mariner but its very workboat oriented. Once upon a time I liked the local Pacific Yachting, I even contributed to it once(!) but now I am only online: This site, GCaptain, Boat Installer's Rant and many blogs.
Old 10-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #28
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Interesting thread. Let's see:

- We get Showboats International, just for kicks, just so we can drool over mega yachts we will never be able to afford, but they are beautiful to see. And the articles are often interesting too, like a couple issues ago when they did a feature on the Kennedy family boats. They just recently changed the style of the magazine to add more general "rich guy" content (like jet chartering ads and six-figure wristwatch ads and articles about stocking your boat with bottles of champagne priced in the four figures) but oh well, I don't hate the Evil 1%, and who knows, maybe someday we'll go to the Monaco Yacht Show just for kicks. (On a more serious note though, there are some pretty interesting graphics each issue on large boat industry trends -- the number of orders placed, tonnage, trends on boat length. Every time we have a boat sales and marketing discussion on here I think of some of those graphics -- even though it's just the relatively tiny mega yacht sliver of the market.)

- We get Cruising Outpost, Bob Bitchin's re-born magazine formerly known as Latitudes and Attitudes. Probably 85% sailing, but in a complete, utter contrast to Showboats International, we enjoy the irreverent tone and the funky layout and the uneven proofreading. A mag for normal humans.

- We get MarinaLife, came with our MarinaLife membership. Kind of short, but we really like it -- even though as long as we're trapped above the dam on the Missouri River we won't use any of those marinas for a sadly long time.

- We get Boat US -- which is mostly geared to smaller powerboats and weekender/boat-on-a-trailer kind of guys, but interesting even so. Came with our Boat US membership. Good article recently for example on the concept of virtual buoys -- no more clang, clang, clang of actual buoys on the water, just disembodied electronic pings by GPS or AIS.

I used to get PassageMaker too, but stopped. Just not much value for some reason, hard for me to pin down exactly why, but it just doesn't do anything for me any more.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 04:55 PM   #29
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Interesting thread. Let's see:

- We get Showboats International, just for kicks, just so we can drool over mega yachts we will never be able to afford, but they are beautiful to see. And the articles are often interesting too, like a couple issues ago when they did a feature on the Kennedy family boats. They just recently changed the style of the magazine to add more general "rich guy" content (like jet chartering ads and six-figure wristwatch ads and articles about stocking your boat with bottles of champagne priced in the four figures) but oh well, I don't hate the Evil 1%, and who knows, maybe someday we'll go to the Monaco Yacht Show just for kicks. (On a more serious note though, there are some pretty interesting graphics each issue on large boat industry trends -- the number of orders placed, tonnage, trends on boat length. Every time we have a boat sales and marketing discussion on here I think of some of those graphics -- even though it's just the relatively tiny mega yacht sliver of the market.)

I used to get PassageMaker too, but stopped. Just not much value for some reason, hard for me to pin down exactly why, but it just doesn't do anything for me any more.
The vast majority of the things you like on Showboats International are available on their web site. All the industry trends and builds. We stopped our subscriptions to it and PassageMaker as we could get enough from both online for free plus we're not home 2/3 of the time when a magazine would arrive.

Plus I just generally don't like mail. I do everything I can to eliminate or minimize it. Now, I know that's just me, but there's so very little that comes in the mail that is important to us, as we do everything online. Don't want to get home after six weeks to a stack of magazines and none of them worth having someone forward to me.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:47 PM   #30
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Yep, I sure understand that desire to shed "stuff," including mail and magazines. I am pretty firm now about throwing out magazines eventually. When I was younger I'd buy those shelf-box things for my collection of Fine Woodworking and put them in neat chronological order. What a waste of time and money.

I might be risking thread drift here, but sometimes I think it's a generational thing, a reaction to the huge generational transfer of assets and "stuff." The tyranny of stuff. I remember when my grandmother died whom I loved deeply, one of my aunts offered me Gram's huge red velvet Victorian couch. I appreciated the offer, but what the heck would I do with that? My mother was an avid stamp collector all her life. Now she's trying to find somebody who wants it. More and more often lately I ask myself, "Is this something I want to carry around with me the rest of my life?" Most of the time the answer is no, and out it goes. We still get those paper magazines for now, but no piles, no collections, no stacks.

(I have a gigantic collection of tools and machinery at home, three car garage. At the boat I have two small toolboxes (one mechanical, one electrical) and a couple Tupperware small parts trays, like fishing lure boxes. That's all. Most of the time that's good enough for what I need to do, as long as I'm creative and don't get all fussy and anal about the correct shaped tip on the soldering iron. The tyranny of stuff.)
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:22 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Yep, I sure understand that desire to shed "stuff," including mail and magazines. I am pretty firm now about throwing out magazines eventually. When I was younger I'd buy those shelf-box things for my collection of Fine Woodworking and put them in neat chronological order. What a waste of time and money.

I might be risking thread drift here, but sometimes I think it's a generational thing, a reaction to the huge generational transfer of assets and "stuff." The tyranny of stuff. I remember when my grandmother died whom I loved deeply, one of my aunts offered me Gram's huge red velvet Victorian couch. I appreciated the offer, but what the heck would I do with that? My mother was an avid stamp collector all her life. Now she's trying to find somebody who wants it. More and more often lately I ask myself, "Is this something I want to carry around with me the rest of my life?" Most of the time the answer is no, and out it goes. We still get those paper magazines for now, but no piles, no collections, no stacks.
)
I once had years and years of Reader's Digest Condensed books. Two bookshelves of books I never opened. My father also collected stamps and coins partly for me to do when young, but it bored me too much. So, it was the kind of stuff kids collect cheap. The coin books. The first editions of stamps. All together of very little value.

The only books we keep now are things not available electronically or collectibles. I guess we've just fully embraced the digital generation. Now the kids today will never know anything different. In some ways it's like electronic vs. paper charts.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:19 PM   #32
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
t+t?
Mtoa?
Trawlers and Trawlering List
Marine Trawlers Owners Association forum

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46