LPG Leak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Forkliftt

Guru
Vessel Name
KnotDoneYet
Vessel Make
1983 42' Present Sundeck
Some local news- a fishing boat was badly damaged when an employee lit a cigarette board. There was a propane leak....I guess that agrivating gas sniffer above the stove serves a very important purpose.*http://www.wafb.com/Global/story.asp?S=9631072Steve

The gas sniffer needs to be low in the boat , propane is heaVIER THAN AIR.

oVER THE STOVE IS LESS THAN USELESS TO FIND PROPANE , BUT ok FOR A FIRE.

When we outfit with propane we use a Coasty approved "home run" marked hose from the tank solenoid to the (usually) range.

The propane hose is then run thru a used (or new ) hyd hose , frequently armored.

This keeps the errant toolboxes etc from doing damage to the real hose.

A second safety feature , besides the solenoid valve off on switch to a bilge sniffer with a ON light is a mechanical timer , 2 hour max to turn off the solenoid.

If someone forgets , or a kid likes to see the light , the timer is useful.

On fridges , where the gas must be on 100% of the time the fridge and supply must be mounted in self draining overbord wells.

Pour a pail of water under the fridge and in the P tank locker , if the water leaves thru a 1 1/2 (or bigger) hole and is gone rapidly , thats safe enough.

On our lobster style boat the tanks and fridge is simply mounted outside on the self draining after deck.

Yes the fridge must be boxed (there built as inside use items) in a weather resistant ply box , and securely fastened (over 100lbs) to stay in place in a seaway .

But they LOVE!!! the motion and with our antique a 20lb bottle goes 18-20 days, no electric and nice hard ice cream.

Going outside in the AM for breakfast fixens and 1/2 & 1/2 is made up by the close proximity to the beer and salsa in the PM.

FF

XINTEX Shadow II is the brand we have- I did not inherit an operator manual. I searched recently for info and struck out. I would like to reconsider the sensor mounting. Anyone with info on this out there?Steve

Why not just go to the Xintex site and look at the installation instructions for their current detectors? The principals like sensor mounting locations will be the same no matter which mfg. or model you have.

Home - Fireboy-Xintex

And boy, is it ever a S L O W loading site...at least on my visit.

-- Edited by gns at 11:36, 2009-01-11

Thanks GNS- that is what I needed. The sensor installation for LPG (which I have)should be below the appliance as FF recommended. CNG would require mounting above the appliance since it is lighter than air.Steve

I don't remember what the details were but* there was a gas explosion up here in the Everett marina about eight years ago. I blew someone into the water but nobody was killed.

Dave

XINTEX Shadow II is the brand we have- I did not inherit an operator manual. I searched recently for info and struck out. I would like to reconsider the sensor mounting. Anyone with info on this out there?Steve

i know this is an old post . does anyone have one of these or know if they are know to last 30 years . i have one the PO removed the 12v valve and i would like to have it working again. i searched for it and found a magazine ad from 1985. i guess a unlit torch would be a was to test the sniffers.

Original Xintex Fireboy manual recommended applying some acetone or ketone to a rag and waving it by the sensors for testing on a frequent basis.

Most fume detector sensors have a life span of 5 to 10 years depending on manufacturer. If you have a 30 year old vintage sensor, I would replace it.

CNG would require mounting above the appliance since it is lighter than air.

CNG requires an overhead vent in the cabin so the lighter than air fuel can float away.

I tried using acetylene as a range fuel as done in Euroland and it worked fine.

The hassle is the tank is big and heavy and USA Big Brother restricts who can get a tank filled.

Acetylene generators were used about 1900 as stove and lamp gas in fancy apartment houses but the system does not scale down well to the volumes used onboard a small boat.

Would have been nice , a can of rocks , a cup of water , and a Hot fuel that floats away in air.

Last edited:
Hearing stories like this makes me wonder why people smoke on boats.

No one smokes on mine, no matter where, and no one smokes on the dock. I've had to chew a few folks out that thought it was ok.

Also, I'm not a fan of propane and could make a strong argument for electric only. The boat have their risks, but very few boats operate without electricity, so adding propane just adds another risk.

Yes, it's nice to not have to start the genny... but....

I tried using acetylene as a range fuel as done in Euroland and it worked fine.

The hassle is the tank is big and heavy and USA Big Brother restricts who can get a tank filled.

Interesting. I get acetylene tanks filled all the time. No license, no permit, no hassle, no questions, just bring in the empty tank and get a filled one at a welding supply. And if you have a large fire suppression system that's based on CO2 cylinders, the refill is much cheaper at a welding supply than a fire extinguisher company.

Cooking with propane in an enclosed space is like cooking with dynamite. One mistake, worn hose, leaking fitting and you get a bang out of it. And explosive power similar to dynamite.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom