Old 10-19-2015, 02:02 AM   #21
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
The next thing to add is a bilge pump alarm. My bilge pumps almost never run, so if I make an alarm point that will send a message when one does, or worse yet if one runs and stays running then that will be a very good thing.

The key here is knowledge is power. If you know what is going on while you are away you can avoid emergencies.

www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:55 AM   #22
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Model: None, but looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
The hub connects via a wired Ethernet port to your network.

The sensors connect wirelessly directly to the hub. The exact protocols are Zwave and Zigbee, depending on the sensor, but that part is transparent to the user.
Reading through a bunch of FAQs, I understand that the wired Ethernet is only required for setup, after that the Hub communicates using a USB cell modem. And there is only one Verizon USB modem that works. Did I miss something?

BobH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #23
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobH View Post
Reading through a bunch of FAQs, I understand that the wired Ethernet is only required for setup, after that the Hub communicates using a USB cell modem. And there is only one Verizon USB modem that works. Did I miss something?
The unit connects via its ethernet port forever.

If you want, lowes offers a usb modem and a service plan that will use a cellular connection. That is not the method I would recommend.

I would recommend instead that people buy a cellular modem capable router, (pick your brand but I like Cradlepoint) and go to their prefered cellular provider and buy a modem from them, and add it to the data plan they already have. That way they get all the benefits of a boat based network.

Thats what I have. A Cradlepoint MBR1200 router, and a little USB modem I picked up at my local AT&T store.

The iris connects to it. so do the cameras, and the Apple TV, and my laptop. We even have a HP printer onboard in case we want to print off a manual or something.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 10-19-2015, 11:02 AM   #24
Guru

I was under the impression that the internet connection was only required at setup and if you have one of the cameras. I guess next time I'm at Lowes I'll talk to somebody there, although I don't expect to gain much from that. I have a Verizon Hotspot and data plan for when we travel so I thought the Verizon USB modem would work for us.

We also have an ADT security system at the house and I plan to investigate the sensors they use to maybe convert that to an Iris system.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:08 AM   #25
TF Site Team

Quote:
I was under the impression that the internet connection was only required at setup and if you have one of the cameras. I guess next time I'm at Lowes I'll talk to somebody there, although I don't expect to gain much from that. I have a Verizon Hotspot and data plan for when we travel so I thought the Verizon USB modem would work for us.

We also have an ADT security system at the house and I plan to investigate the sensors they use to maybe convert that to an Iris system.
The Iris needs a internet connection all the time.

Thats what it uses to notify your contact list of an event. It's also how the App and web access works.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 10-19-2015, 11:50 AM   #26
Guru

I thought that was what the cell modem was for.
Old 10-19-2015, 11:56 AM   #27
TF Site Team

Quote:
I thought that was what the cell modem was for.
Yes, the cell modem can provide the internet connection, as well as the wired ethernet port

either one will work.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 10-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #28
Guru

One more question and I'll go away. You're running the boat system using a cell modem. Any idea of the data usage? I assume the only time data is sent is if there is an alarm condition or when you access the system with the web app or smart phone app.
Old 10-19-2015, 12:14 PM   #29
TF Site Team

Quote:
One more question and I'll go away. You're running the boat system using a cell modem. Any idea of the data usage? I assume the only time data is sent is if there is an alarm condition or when you access the system with the web app or smart phone app.
I have no clue as to the data usage. I have an iris here at home so I'll reset the port and measure it for you... be back shortly
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 10-19-2015, 12:49 PM   #30
TF Site Team

Quote:
based on my addmittadly short 30 minute test we're looking at less than a MB per day
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 10-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #31
Guru

Thanks, I have a 5GB data plan for the Verizon Hotspot so that should not be much impact.
Old 10-19-2015, 01:25 PM   #32
Guru

Does your system recover if the power fails and comes back or do you have UPS? I have been reading reviews of the USB modem Lowes sells and apparently on a power fail the system has to be manually reset.
Old 10-19-2015, 03:26 PM   #33
TF Site Team

Quote:
Does your system recover if the power fails and comes back or do you have UPS? I have been reading reviews of the USB modem Lowes sells and apparently on a power fail the system has to be manually reset.
Yes, it recovers.

I have it running on inverter power. If the inverter dies it has a built in battery pack that will run it for about an hour.

The router (and my satcom gear) runs off of a UPS, enabling communication if the inverter dies.
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 10-19-2015, 04:17 PM   #34

City: Knoxville
Vessel Name: Pura Vida
Vessel Model: 08 Meridian 490 Pilothouse
Kevin thanks for sharing, a lot of my boating friends are looking for an alarm system , one that uses ready available non marine components that can save us boat bucks would be great. You said that the cell modem can provide the internet connection, as well as the wired ethernet port. My question is can the system use the dock wireless internet at the dock and the cell when away, to save on data usage. When checking on another Z wave system it would not work with the Verizon Hotspot for some reason?
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #35
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Kevin thanks for sharing, a lot of my boating friends are looking for an alarm system and one that uses ready available non marine components that save us boat bucks is great. You said that the cell modem can provide the internet connection, as well as the wired ethernet port. My question is can the system use the dock wireless internet at the dock and the cell when away, to save on data usage. When checking on another Z wave system it would not work with the Verizon Hotspot for some reason?
The trick here is to separate the network and the alarm functionality.

I wuld buy a router that can use wifi as the uplink port, and fall back to cellular if the wifi is not available.

www.cradlepoint.com
www.mvlisasway.com
Old 10-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #36
Guru

I found some reviews of the Verizon modem Lowes sells for the Iris system. Apparently there is something unique about it and Iris will only work with that model. Some folks used it for monitoring vacation cabins but if the power failed the Hub and modem would not reestablish a connection without somebody pushing a reset button.

We have a similar problem with our home internet connection. If power goes out and comes back on, the cable modem picks back up but the router needs to have the reset button pushed.
Old 10-19-2015, 05:10 PM   #37
Guru

City: Windsor
Vessel Name: Keeper IV
Vessel Model: 44 Viking ACMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post

The trick here is to separate the network and the alarm functionality.

I wuld buy a router that can use wifi as the uplink port, and fall back to cellular if the wifi is not available.

www.cradlepoint.com
Kevin...I think they are confusing the built in router/modem that the verizon hot spot has with the need for a separate stand alone router that has the ability to connect via a WIFI or cellularly through the verizon hotspot to the internet.

mbevins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 05:45 PM   #38
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbevins View Post
Kevin...I think they are confusing the built in router/modem that the verizon hot spot has with the need for a separate stand alone router that has the ability to connect via a WIFI or cellularly through the verizon hotspot to the internet.
I agree, so here it goes.

The Lowes Iris system needs an internet connection to function. To accomplish this it has a standard ethernet port on it. Alternatively it can be purchased with a cellular modem, which has its own service plan, not connected to your personal cellular phones. This Lowes supplied modem cannot be used for anything other than the Iris system.

www.mvlisasway.com