Old 08-02-2015, 04:03 PM   #1

City: Markham
Vessel Name: currently boatless
Lousy Survey - Now Thinking Nordic Tug ...

Well the survey on that 1987 Taiwanese trawler did not go well. The hull etc. was OK, but when the Volvo diesel mechanic spent a few hours in the ER looking at everything and running the engines, that's when the wheels fell off. The main issue was a highly questionable transmission making odd noises. There were also signs of internal rust in the iron fuel tanks (a predictable problem). And then there was a LONG list of hoses of all types needing replacement etc. etc. And she needs a full electronics refit and a hull paint job. Now I know I can go back with a lower offer, but do I really need all the hassle?

So now I am eyeing some Nordic Tug 32s that might be affordable (late 90s vintage). Any comments?

David
David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
That is either the most expensive TT on the planet or the cheapest Nordic Tug 32. Not sure how those two boats even cross paths on the same short list. Kinda like apples and persimmons.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:20 PM   #3

City: Markham
Vessel Name: currently boatless
Craig, you are absolutely correct - they don't belong on the same short list. I got distracted by the TT because of her very low price. Now I know why! LOL I would fully expect to pay at least twice as much for a Nordic Tug.
David Rive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Check www.sentoa.org for NTs for sale.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:34 PM   #5
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
But...... Think how bored you'd be if you got the newer boat that didn't need all the work.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:45 PM   #6
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
32 NT .. my favorite stock boat.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 07:54 PM   #7
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, FL
Vessel Name: Aweigh
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
As a former owner of a NT 42...+1
seasalt007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #8
FF
Guru

Most TT go slow , the NT usually have oversized engines to go sorta fast.

Both on the same list?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 09:03 AM   #9
Guru

FF,
The NT 32 actually has some rocker aft and they aren't too beamy so probably (if they aren't too heavy) they travel at 9 or so knots more easily and gracefully than most.

Old 08-03-2015, 09:33 AM   #10
Guru

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: 1997 4800 Navigator
Although the NT has a higher entry price they historically will demand a higher price at resale. Because they were manufactured here in the PNW many of the parts are still being used or can re-manufactured. In addition, there are local gatherings of other NT's which might add value if your a social person. Just like any other brands, some years are better than others due to demand and crew that worked on them. You might also check out some of the earlier models of the American Tug. I would put them in the same league as the NT, if not slightly higher in level of build quality. Tour both factories and get a feel for how they manage their shop and build outs. That might help you with your decision.
Cheers
“Try something you could fail at. We all do things that we can comfortably achieve, but rarely do we set the high bar one notch above what we think we can clear, and that’s what’s driving me on here.” Lieutenant Colonel Alastair Edward Henry Worsley MBE (4 October 1960 – 24 January 2016) Explorer
bshillam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:14 AM   #11
Guru

City: Sitka
Vessel Model: Transpacific Marine Eagle 32
Dave,
You may want to check out the Eagle 32 also.
Old deckhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #12
Guru

City: gulf coast
IMO you are looking at brands when you should be looking at features. List the features important to you and look at everything in that range. Brand should be secondary.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:39 AM   #13
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post
Dave,
Oh yes,
Eagle even better than NT.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:43 AM   #14

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Name: NONE
Vessel Model: NONE
David, all will need some hoses and most will need some electronics upgrading. Hull painting shouldn't be a deal breaker either. Actually sounds like survey wasn't all that bad. If it were me I would assume the transmission was "already" dead and the fuel tanks were "already" leaking, then get a "fair" quote on the repairs and offer a price accordingly. Walk away if they cannot or will not meet your price. As far as "needing the hassle goes", since your essentially having the former owner paying a yard to do the work for you, I don't perceive much hassle. It really all comes down to your hard earned dollars and how much any particular hassle is worth to you. Your either going to get slaughtered with depreciation on a newer more expensive boat or nickel and dime'd to death on the older one, but either way keep reminding yourself that boating is fun as your rushing headlong toward financial ruin.

On a slightly more serious note, remember the shiny new expensive boat come time to sell in a decade or so (figuratively speaking) is going to need a transmission, tanks, hoses, and electronics upgrade as well. The point being, you can defer the pain and hassle but "sooner or later" it will catch up to you. It's just a question of when and by how much.

On that cheerful note, if you'll all excuse me I have to go fix the toilet that's overflowing in the aft head, mop up the fuel leaking from my port tank and gob some more silicone around those pesky leaking windows.
Capt Kangeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 10:56 AM   #15
Guru

Beware of VOLVOs, run from them as you would the plague. I own two of them and parts are difficult if not impossible to find.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 05:06 AM   #16
FF
Guru

"Just like any other brands, some years are better than others due to demand and crew that worked on them. You might also check out some of the earlier models of the American Tug."

This is where a great broker can be worth his bucks.

AS many companies went bust building boats , the quality varies a great deal by the companies health at that time.

A good broker will have a list , power and sail, of the years to be avoided.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 06:45 AM   #17

City: Tennessee River
Vessel Name: SEEKER
Vessel Model: Trans Pac Eagle 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old deckhand View Post
Dave,
+1
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote