Old 04-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Las Vegas Nevada
Vessel Name: None Yet
Vessel Model: None Yet
This looks like a pretty good boat to me.

OK Ladies and Gentlemen.

As the neophyte here and to large boats in general. I mentioned in my introductory post, that I plan to retire in 6 years back home in SW Florida on a boat. I browse Yacht World and Boat Trader to see what my money will get me and if my plans are even realistic. I found this boat and as a newbie it looks pretty good. What I would like is for you to tell me if I am going in the right direction. The boat looks to me well maintained and the engine room looks good. I can only go by pictures so far but I would say that this would be worth further examination. From the pictures am I missing anything that should be obvious? I am trying to teach myself before I start the plunge......

I am single so 32 foot would be fine I think......

Thanks for all your expertise
Rob
landlocked in Las Vegas

1981 Cheoy Lee Sedan Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 04-25-2016, 02:02 PM   #2
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Vegas
Top heavy and not very efficient.
Good space to length ratio if you're going to live aboard. We have one on our float and I often think "what a fine prospect" it is for a FB removal. Some PO did that for for us.
Hull and house survey is very important w this type of boat. Especially core material and structural weakness.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:29 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Tighten up your YW search criteria.

Nice boat

Wrong coast

I'm serious too. Wrong-coast-itus leads to insanity.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

Nice boat

Wrong coast

Old 04-25-2016, 02:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post

Nice boat

Wrong coast

I know its on the wrong coast....But I am doing the what it looks like on paper vs real life thing right now. I am 6 years away. Trying to shorten the learning curve when it is time to pull the trigger.

Thanks
Old 04-25-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This is the first time I have seen a Vetus engine....I see you guys talk about Perkins and Lehman, and Volvo, and Westerbeke. Anyone familiar with a Vetus?
Old 04-25-2016, 06:07 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
The design seems to trade more cabin for less cockpit, but weather could make that a good thing, and there is a huge FB to compensate.
Compare the cockpits on a GB and an IG32 to see what I mean.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
You mentioned you were going to be in SW Florida .I would think you be outside most of the time and if so you are going want some shade and plenty of it . Hardtop shaded areas are cooler than canvas covered . It's difficult to get a big shaded area unless you give up the bucks for more living space (bigger boat) or give up some indoor living space .This is nice looking boat,looks well kept and has new motor but you will still have to climb a ladder to find some outside shade .
Old 04-25-2016, 07:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

You are right. I was looking at the interior. I did not notice that there was not any real covered area. This is why I floated this question, I am trying to find a balance and picking your brains is the easiest way I think...

Thanks for the feedback
Old 04-25-2016, 09:21 PM   #10
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
You won't need the Force 10 heater but in a handful of days a year in SW FL. You will also die from the heat MOST OF THE TIME if you don't have air conditioning.

I see no mention of a generator. Do you plan to be a dock queen?

Not a surveyor but I don't like the way the batteries are laid out from the pics. Can't see anything holding them down and it does look like there are any battery boxes.

Are you sure you want to handle a single engine boat without a thruster?
Donsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Donsan

Right now I'm not sure of anything. So that thing is a heater.....yes AC is a must, even though I am a FL native and I live in Vegas now where the temps can hit 115 or so. What I am doing is trying to learn to decipher the pics..your comments are wanted and appreciated. I did not notice an AC either....
Old 04-25-2016, 10:17 PM   #12
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Well, what i like is that its a roomy boat for 32 ft. I like the main salon area. I like the layout of the benches, the table, the galley, and the helm. I like the flybridge too although it will need canvas for Florida.

The cockpit is too small for anything but standing. My cockpit is larger than that and i barely have enough room for a chair and a cooler. I could use another couple feet (or 6).

Im not hot on the hullshape. Its shallow and boxy although its probably fine in flat water with no large wakes coming at you. I wouldnt want to do anything offshore in that boat. Others with more knowledge can probable speak more definitively than i can about it though.

The wooden decks are a red flag for me. Many boats of this era have had them removed or replaced by now. Many are probably fine as well. I prefer fiberglass decks myself. I guess im just lazy.

The master cabin seems a bit cramped with not a lot of storage.

My overall impression for you is that its not a bad starting point, but i would look for something five to 10 ft longer if you are going to live aboard. Something with a larger cockpit and a larger master stateroom with lots of storage. Also a washer dryer would be a bonus as well unless you are used to doing laundry at the laundromat.
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:04 PM   #13
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
I walk by this boat everyday on the way to my boat. Broker was showing it to some folks just a day or two ago. Its not bad looking overall, but haven't been aboard. Its on C dock in LaConner.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:51 AM   #14
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
This looks like a pretty good boat to me.

IMNV: Have you been aboard?

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 05:58 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
IMNV: Have you been aboard?

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
No I haven't. I just saw the posting and it looked pretty good at first glance. However thanks to you guys it was brought to my attention that there is no generator no A/C and some issues that I now know to look for before I actually go on a visit...I think I need to make a list of things and sort it to need and preferences. Thanks
Old 04-26-2016, 06:37 AM   #16
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imnvegas View Post
I did not notice that there was not any real covered area.

While you're searching... understand that you can add "some" stuff to the basic boat. An example in this case could be a basic bimini, or full-length bimini, or even a full enclosure to that flying bridge. And with a full-enclosure, it would also be possible to aircon that space.

IOW, search for good bones... and critical "bones" features that you might require, or at least want, or would be nice to have. If the boat is good enough, you can add other "non-bones" features.

Another example. That boat has a ladder to the bridge. I'd bag that, and consider replacing with something like a circular stairway. If there's room. FWIW, my retirement-age legs have already thanked me for shopping up a boat with built-in stairs in place of a ladder.

-Chris
Old 04-26-2016, 07:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I think I now know that I don't know what I don't know and need to know.

Did that even make sense? LOL
Old 04-26-2016, 08:08 AM   #18
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. I. While perusing boat listings and asking questions is a good thing, at some point you're going to have to start going aboard boats. I would suggest going aboard EVERYTHING you possibly can.

Crusiers, "trawlers", sport fish, sedans, tugs...you name it, go aboard. Do NOT limit yourself to any particular style, make, size or price range (up to a point-set an upper limit of 2X to 3X your current budget as a boat that's too expensive now, may be affordable in 4 or 5 years).

Take photos, make lists and be open minded. What you think you may want could easily change with greater exposure to what's out there, your financial situation and your lifestyle 4 or 5 years down the road.
Old 04-26-2016, 08:19 AM   #19

City: Fayetteville, NC
Vessel Name: Dirty Deeds
Vessel Model: Maritimo 48
If I were looking for a liveaboard boat, I'd want the ability to use household type furniture (at least one lounge chair) in the salon. If you spend a couple of hours per day reading or watching television (as I do), then try to imagine the same activities on the boat.

If you require a desk or other working/writing surface, then imagine how you'll accomplish those tasks on the boat.

Are you okay with a wet head, or do you require a separate shower stall?
ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:22 AM   #20
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. I. While perusing boat listings and asking questions is a good thing, at some point you're going to have to start going aboard boats. I would suggest going aboard EVERYTHING you possibly can.

Crusiers, "trawlers", sport fish, sedans, tugs...you name it, go aboard. Do NOT limit yourself to any particular style, make, size or price range (up to a point-set an upper limit of 2X to 3X your current budget as a boat that's too expensive now, may be affordable in 4 or 5 years).

Take photos, make lists and be open minded. What you think you may want could easily change with greater exposure to what's out there, your financial situation and your lifestyle 4 or 5 years down the road.
Great advice!
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote