Old 09-18-2014, 12:11 PM   #21
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Ahoy- - >CMA

Take a gander at this baby that it appears just came on the market. Seems a beaut; prob won't last long...

Best Luck! - Art

47' Chris Craft Commander Classic - $99,500 (alameda)

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/boa/4673869348.html
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:06 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Single vs twin is kindda a religious thing. I am a single guy using the rational that most engine failures are caused by fuel, so unless you have a split system and do not fill up both at once then both engines go due to fuel.
Read through this about the US to Ireland, same 135 I have. Slow but just keeps on keeping on.

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...earchid=724913

Either works and I might have bought a twin if this one had not fallen in my lap. It is on the East Coast, Tollycraft 44.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:11 AM   #23
Veteran Member

City: Granite Bay
Vessel Name: Pier Runner 6
Vessel Model: 27 ft Boston Whaler Conquest
Mule, if you are talking about Richard on Dauntless, I followed that trip everyday when I got home. Sounds like a lot of fun but to much blue water for me on such a small boat. I don't have the guts (or knowledge) to do something like that but what a lifetime achievement for him and his wife :-)
CMA1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 12:33 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Art, Thanks for the tip on the Chris Craft! We are looking for a boat that does not have a tall aft cabin since I want to be able to fish off the back and side decks like the 48/49 Defever, 42 Grand Banks ect. If we go towards thatChris Craft style, we like the 96 and newer Bayliner 3988 w/twin 5.9 Cummins. It is so hard to figure out what you want/need/can't live without in all these types of boats (as I am sure you all know )
And another question for all. What is the Etiquette on putting an offer on a boat? Since there is no Kelly Blue Book (I Think), how do you figure out what it is worth. And if they are asking 85k for example, do you offer 75 if that is what you want to pay, or do you do the survey's 1st and then make the offer? Thanks again!
Old 09-19-2014, 06:09 AM   #25
Guru

City: Fort Pierce
Vessel Name: Florita Ann
Vessel Model: 1982 Present
Yeah..guts...some fun, lotta boredom a for me some sheer terror..
I do not have the ability, the guts or the will for what he did. Not gonna worry about a single anymore though.
Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 08:33 AM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMA1992 View Post
As for the quality of the boat, how do you find out if they are quality boats since they (late 70's/early 80's) are hard to find info on and I have read that many of the same boats could have been built in seperate "factories" and therefor the difference in quality could be significant depending on where it was built? I am new to the "big" pleasure boat world and so my knowledge of such things is far less than most of you out there - hope some of my questions are not "dumb". As one of my Professor's always said "the only dumb questions are the one not asked" (Ha Ha) Thanks as always
I would submit that any boat that was built in the 70's or 80's and is still operational, and nice looking was probably pretty good quality in the first place.

Instead of focusing on brands, you should probably be focusing on how a boat looks today. That will tell you allot about how its been maintained.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 09:37 AM   #27
Guru

City: Walnut Grove Ca
Vessel Name: Cary'D Away
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
Pier 39 and other bay locations

Pier 39 is not a good location. It has parking inconvenience, access issues with traffic and worse of all, it has surge. The boats never sit still and tug at the lines constantly. It's used to be the big deal to own a dock at pier 39 so you could loan it out on weekends for your friends. I had one could not wait to sell it. The weather there tears boats up as well.
A berth in the Oakland Estuary or Sausalito is much much better. You can take the ferry to the city from Oakland or Alameda.
As to the Fallalons, much over rated, you can't get off, so unless your fishing and once you've see the beauty and ruggedness, you've seen it. Weather permitting you can do it in a solid 16' Whaler or similar open boat. it's done all the time. I've seen 16' aluminum skiffs out there.
That Chris in the post is very clean, and a great entertaining boat. Those old Commanders are very solid boats with many owners maintaining them in near show condition. I've seen that boat and it is located, in Alameda at Grand Marina, A great location for berthing your boat. I kept a boat next door at Fortman for several years. Much better weather and plenty to do in a Norman Rockwell town of Victorian homes.
As to fishing, most fisherman in the SF bay like fast 26' or so boats that get them out the gate fast and back in before it turns to crap. Solid boats like the Farallon 27 or Osprey. Bayliner trophy, Davis or Boston Whaler's. Boats that can come back in in 6'rs and do it at 22 mph or faster.
Scary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 10:05 AM   #28
Art
Guru

Wow my boat desiring friend: You just included sooooo many important items/questions/statements in that post! Go to the below and in bold are my quick help notes. Some of your quandaries/statements have been provided volumes of info on this forum as well as throughout the boating community. Books have been written on many of them. I advise that you use TF's "Search" feature. IMO you have lots of reading and learning to do. BTW - how much experience/time/background do you have regarding marine doings and what is your "boat budget"? A "Boat Dollar" = $1,000!

Quote:
Art, Thanks for the tip on the Chris Craft! Your welcome! We are looking for a boat that does not have a tall aft cabin since I want to be able to fish off the back and side decks like the 48/49 Defever, 42 Grand Banks ect. OK! If we go towards that Chris Craft style, we like the 96 and newer Bayliner 3988 w/twin 5.9 Cummins. OK! It is so hard to figure out what you want/need/can't live without in all these types of boats (as I am sure you all know ) That is your first and foremost need – Know what you want in a boat, then go find a boat that satisfies at least a large %age of your desires. All boats are a compromise!!
Quote:

And another question for all. What is the Etiquette on putting an offer on a boat? OMG – Can you deal?? Horse trading and boat trading are similar. Of course, each product (boat) and each person (owner, boat dealer, bank, repo agency… etc) you are trying to purchase product from has its own particulars/peculiarities. Since there is no Kelly Blue Book (I Think) there are basic rules of thumb sites available on the net – but those prices mean not too much in reality, how do you figure out what it is worth. Surveyor can help – but – it’s really up to the purchaser And if they are asking 85k for example, do you offer 75 if that is what you want to pay We’re back to horse trading again!, or do you do the survey's 1st and then make the offer? Usually the offer with money in earnest as well as strict contingencies that protect you is made first. From there you proceed Thanks again!
There are boat brokers (and, horse traders – lol) on TF that can further fill-out answers for you…

Best Luck!! - Art
Old 09-21-2014, 12:17 AM   #29
Veteran Member

KSanders, that is a great point about the older boats! Since I have seen many boats of similar age and make, some look great and some look like they have been through a storm (or 2) I guess I was hoping or the, "stay away from so so boat - they are the same quality as a 1975 Ford Pinto in automotive terms" kind of answer.
SCary, are there any covered berths in the Bay Area? We checked a lot of marinas in the Bay Area and did not like any of them (Richmond, Emeryville, and both sides os Alameda). They are too "quite" for us if you can believe that we did notice the "parking" issues at pier 39 when we went down there to check on the Berthing options but really did like the (wife liked) the shopping and dining there. We'll see. Need to find the boat 1st
Art, thanks for all those BOLD answers, that was really easy reading! As far as my experience goes, I was a licensed Marine Engineer until 2001 (career change - didn't like being gone for 4 months at a time, but wouldn't give up my experiences for anything) on Large boats like the Exxon Valdez. I know that Pleasure Boats are a whole new gig so I am no expert - but I do know that Port is Left and Starboard is Right - I think That is also why I like the Trawler Style Boats, I am not in any hurry and the older Trawlers are closer to what I know than the newer boats. When I was sailing, most phones still had cords attached to them (ha ha) Budget was $175K if we sell he RV, 50-70k if we keep it. We are going back and forth with that at well
BTW, Going to look at a Trawler tomorrow, may have a few questions, wish us luck !
Old 09-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Well, we looked at a boat yesterday and we might put in an offer, but the question is now, after reading what Bligh went through with his engine surveyor, can anyone recommend someone in the Sacramento Delta area that will do a good job? Sound like the guy that did Bligh's didn't do anything other than look at the paint. Thanks as always
Old 09-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #31
Art
Guru

Quote:
Well, we looked at a boat yesterday and we might put in an offer, but the question is now, after reading what Bligh went through with his engine surveyor, can anyone recommend someone in the Sacramento Delta area that will do a good job? Sound like the guy that did Bligh's didn't do anything other than look at the paint. Thanks as always
I’ve used them both. List Marine (Tom List) is renowned throughout Bay Area. Tim Wiest is a fine independent mechanic. He as well accomplishes other important marine items. Hope one or the other is close enough and has time to accommodate your needs. Tell either... Art sent cha!

Good Luck! - Art

Complete Shop:
List Marine is a full-service Marine Engine Shop. Located in Sausalito since 1984.http://www.listmarine.com/

Independent Mechanic:
Tim Wiest: Cell - 510.414.7084 / timwiest@yahoo.com
Old 09-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Thanks Art, I will give them a call when the time comes to start hiring surveyors. I hope the Bay Area is not to far for Mr. List or the other.
KSanders, we looked at an older boat this weekend and it seems to be in OK shape, not a 10 but not a 1 either. So, the survey will tell us a lot I hope. It has a lot of the "classic" features I like (wife, not so much), kind of reminds me of the "African Queen" but not that small so you think all boats that age which look good should be Ok? I know about the tanks, stringers, ect. Any major things to look for not mentioned by Adelaide? Thanks for the help, we are getting closer to joining the Trawler ranks
One quick question, can I work with the surveyor to request certain inspections or are they supposed to look at all things. I would like to avoid the things Bligh went through
Old 09-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #33
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
I'm a huge fan of the Roughwater 42 with twin 8.2 Detroits nice space and a great pilothouse.
I couldn't find any anywhere near NJ when I was in the market for a 42.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:15 PM   #34
Art
Guru

Quote:
Thanks Art, I will give them a call when the time comes to start hiring surveyors. I hope the Bay Area is not to far for Mr. List or the other.
KSanders, we looked at an older boat this weekend and it seems to be in OK shape, not a 10 but not a 1 either. So, the survey will tell us a lot I hope. It has a lot of the "classic" features I like (wife, not so much), kind of reminds me of the "African Queen" but not that small so you think all boats that age which look good should be Ok? I know about the tanks, stringers, ect. Any major things to look for not mentioned by Adelaide? Thanks for the help, we are getting closer to joining the Trawler ranks
One quick question, can I work with the surveyor to request certain inspections or are they supposed to look at all things. I would like to avoid the things Bligh went through
IMO - It is best to know what type boat, and power equipment you are requesting to be inspected (model names/numbers and photo or two are always good to send boat surveyor and marine mechanic; pre survey/inspection). Good Marine Surveyors inspect overall condition and build-quality of all boat portions. Marine Mechanics can look deeply into the powered sources of the craft. There can also be electrical inspectors as well as septic system inspectors. To completely survey all boat portions can become expensive. The first two are pretty much mandatory as far as I'm concerned... unless the purchaser is very well experienced regarding needed inspections and their levels – i.e. the meanings of results. Even then, depending on complexity of the boat and/or mechanisms aboard an experienced purchaser may not want to rely exclusively on their own findings. A good surveyor and/or mechanic can be priceless if they are competent. They might recognize a defect that an experienced purchaser missed. That finding could be important enough for purchaser to walk away in search of another boat, or, the finding may enable the purchased to get the owner to appropriately reduce boat's price.

Continued good luck! - Art

Checking out boat-quality/value before purchase is not a kids game. Once purchased and then making love to a good boat is kinda like a kids game... at least it can make ya feel like a kid, again!! - LOL
Old 09-22-2014, 11:05 PM   #35
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scary View Post
Pier 39 is not a good location. It has parking inconvenience, access issues with traffic and worse of all, it has surge. The boats never sit still and tug at the lines constantly. It's used to be the big deal to own a dock at pier 39 so you could loan it out on weekends for your friends. I had one could not wait to sell it. The weather there tears boats up as well. ...
I'm surprised they have several berths available.

Slip Rentals in the Heart of San Francisco | Pier 39 Marina