Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar View Post
Why is that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Because it is incredibly tight to get to anything outboard on those twin engines. I should have said skinny midgets but with gorilla length arms to reach around the backside.

Expanding on that:

Typical service points on our twins include oil filters, fuel filters, coolant filters, water pump (impeller), AirSeps, aftercoolers, and three zinc anodes.

Filters have been mounted "remotely" (i.e., different from their original or normal location) so those are all inboard and relatively easy to service.

Our port side water pump, AirSep, aftercooler, and two zincs are outboard, in between engine and water tank... with about 10" to spare in between. I can get to most of that, over the top. But changing the impeller is mostly one-handed. With a mirror.

The zinc anode on our starboard side heat exchanger is outboard, ditto 10" in between engine and water tank. I can get to that, over the top, working upside down and partly in the blind.

And "over the top" is a significant deal. We have a day hatch from the cockpit... and that makes it easy enough to do filter changes and check fluids and so forth. But serious work means removing the overhead hatches in the saloon sole. Which means moving a FlexSteel couch/pull-out bed, for the starboard side. And finding someplace to put it while I work. And these two hatches are big/heavy/awkward, so not usually a one-person job.

That's the kind of stuff to look for when somebody says to check out "access" as you shop.

-Chris

Old 12-01-2015, 10:49 AM   #22
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnawake View Post
They do have a forum. Its right here. Dont you have twin engines? you might be at the wrong forum. That 48 Defever is a beautiful boat though.
You may call a DeFever a trawler, Art D didn't. He liked the terms yacht and passage maker. These two terms seemed too exclusive and moved a lot of "don't fit" boats into the new found trawler category thirty five or so years ago.

Hence Trawler followed by Forum = website for all boaters with said vessels then re-labeled so one term fits all. How'd I do Marin?

sunchaser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:10 PM   #23
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyrcooler View Post
Welcome Chunky! Sorry 'bout the unruly kids. They argue. A lot! But, it IS a great forum. Read a lot. Filter the chaff. Some great guys (and gals) with a lot of experience. Don't worry about the finer parts of the lingo. They'll quickly help you learn what words to NOT say.

Like "ANCHOR".

Ha Ha. Yeah thats a good one. well, you know everyone is just having a little fun discussing the finer points of yachting, boating, trawling or passage making. At the end of the day we hope to be in some nice anchorage or marina discussing what to drink because its 5 O'clock. Thats the end goal I think. The deal with searching for a boat of any type is that you need to check off the kind on Yacht World. MY, Trawler, Convertible and so forth. My MY is used mainly as a Trawler. The broker listed it as a MY because Hatteras said it was. I havent pulled any shrimp nets lately.
Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:48 PM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: William
Vessel Model: Outer reef 32
You could buy mine . It's like a mullet . You know
"business in the front, party in the back " But it has a single engine with walkthru door to engine room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	46988  
Old 12-01-2015, 02:15 PM   #25
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Looking for a Trawler

Chunky: we were in your position 5 years ago, the only difference being we knew nothing at all about boats or boating. We did a lot right though: we got on a lot of boats, big and small and fast and slow. We took some boat training, safety and navigation courses. I recommend you do some bareboat charters to see what boat fits you. We took some bareboat charters, including a Mainship 350/390. We found it small. As Djmarchant said: it would be fine as a weekender but not as suitable for extended cruising.

As we went thought the process, our tastes evolved and space became more and more important. We started looking at CHB 34's and evolved all the way to raised Pilothouses, settilng on a Kadey Krogen 42. We were on an extended cruise this past summer for 10 weeks and didn't go stir crazy.

Advice: buy your last boat first!

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #26

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Okay, let's set the record straight about what is and what isn't a "Trawler", but first let me address markpierce...

Dear markpierce I hate to burst your bubble but you my friend do not own a "Trawler" even with its single diesel engine. By definition, a "trawler" is a fishing boat that pulls a trawl (net) to catch fish and these and only these boats are true "trawlers" also known as draggers to some. And yes, some of these true "Trawlers" had/have twins. What you own, in today's world is called a "recreational trawler", a term coined by the boating industry to market their boats to a specific group of boaters. So, whether you own a single or twin "recreation trawler", in today's world it's really just a certain style of boat, which is broadening all the time, that was given a name so the boat builders could sell more boats. Just Sayin'

p.s. koliver: don't hold your breath waiting for that belated apology. me thinks it's not going to happen. why he would make such a silly comment in the first place is confusing at best.

*edited to add content
Old 12-01-2015, 03:32 PM   #27
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Duck 492 View Post
By definition, a "trawler" is a fishing boat that pulls a trawl (net) to catch fish and these and only these boats are true "trawlers" also known as draggers to some. And yes, some of those true "Trawlers" had/have twins.

Twins on a dragger? Examples?

Jim
Old 12-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #28
Veteran Member

City: Green Cove Springs, FL
Vessel Name: Sea Gypsy II
Vessel Model: 2007 Great Harbour N37
Welcome aboard. A few VERY important things to consider when looking for a loop boat.

The lowest bridge that must be passed under is in Chicago. It has a clearance of 19' 01". If you plan on using the NY State Canal System, there is a bridge with only 16" 05' clearance. Bridge Heights - New York State Canals
You also want a shallow draft. The dismal swamp is supposed to be 6' deep, but shoaling is a constant problem and deep draft vessels risk a bottom strike.

Once you enter the Hudson River area I believe it is a no discharge zone until you reach the Gulf. Unless you want to deal with frequent pump outs, be sure you have adequate holding tanks. You will also need to be able to cover at least 250 miles without refueling if using the Tennessee/Tombigbee Rivers and 450 miles if you use the Mississippi.

Here is a link to what my wife and I consider to be the best loop boat. A Great Harbour N37. Twin diesels, huge tanks, awesome space, walk in engine room. Great Harbour N37 trawler: spacious, stable, unsinkable - Great Harbour Trawlers
JNandJN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:25 PM   #29
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
DD492, many others:

Just to add further to the definition of a "trawler":
It isn't so much the boat, though depending only on size, the boat does need some similarity in order to do the job.

A true "Trawler" is simply a boat that hauls a "trawl". So the back end of the boat needs to be substantial enough to handle both a big net and a pair of boards that will pull the open end of the net to the bottom and keep it open while being dragged along the bottom.

When I was much younger, I spent a summer fishing, from the Fairweather grounds, to Hecate Straight, Queen Charlotte Sound, Johnstone Straight, Georgia Straight. There were lots of draggers (That's what we called them then). Some were as small as a recereational trawler, but most were quite a lot larger. I don't recall seeing any with twin power, but there may have been. I have also seen boats fitted out for dragging one season and for some other kind of fishing another. The fitting out changed what you called the boat, so a dragger could become a seiner, a seiner could become a dragger, or a packer, or even a troller. Trollers were generally not trawlers, as the stern was built with a cockpit from which to run the lines fitted with gurdeys and a big sounder, engine controls, radio and a place to throw the fish as they were hauled in. The stern was generally too slim for the dragger boards that would try to hold the mouth of the net as far apart as possible, and without the extra bouyancy required for the weight of those same dragger boards when not off the boat.

OTOH, many fishboat conversions, including Trollers, make great recreational Trawlers, but few draggers do.

So IMO, you call your boat a trawler if you want to, and all it really means is that you prefer going somewhat slower than those who don't.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 04:37 PM   #30

City: discomfort.reactants.peanuts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDCAVE View Post
Twins on a dragger? Examples?

Jim

one of many examples of a twin engine "trawler":

Used Commercial Vessels 96ft Steel Freezer Trawler - 2212

note: this one happens to be a shrimp trawler.
Old 12-01-2015, 04:49 PM   #31
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Dear markpierce I hate to burst your bubble but you my friend do not own a "Trawler" even with its single diesel engine. By definition, a "trawler" is a fishing boat that pulls a trawl (net) to catch fish and these and only these boats are true "trawlers" also known as draggers to some. And yes, some of these true "Trawlers" had/have twins. What you own, in today's world is called a "recreational trawler", ...
You're preaching to the choir.
Old 12-01-2015, 05:56 PM   #32

City: Myrtle Beach,SC
Again, thanks for all the good input. More info from me: want a bit of speed for the leg on the loop from Carabelle to Steinhatche(sp) because Im not interested in the Gulf at night. Also the wife like to occasionally go over 10kts. We have a 21 foot Sea Hunt Escape now and we like to go fast if the time is right. Sounds like I need to go bigger than I originally thought. Dont want to make a mistake. Keep em coming!
Chunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:16 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
one of many examples of a twin engine "trawler":

Used Commercial Vessels 96ft Steel Freezer Trawler - 2212

note: this one happens to be a shrimp trawler.

Wow!

Jim
Old 12-01-2015, 09:53 PM   #34
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Dear markpierce I hate to burst your bubble but you my friend do not own a "Trawler" .. What you own, in today's world is called a "recreational trawler", ...
Received the renewed certificate of documentation from the USCG today. Indeed, it doesn't mention "trawler" but the operational endorsement says "recreation" (cannot engage in commercial ventures).

In any official communication with governmental authorities, I would describe the boat as a "motorized recreational vessel."
Old 12-01-2015, 10:23 PM   #35

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Quote:
So IMO, you call your boat a trawler if you want to, and all it really means is that you prefer going somewhat slower than those who don't.
That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

OK, I'm lusting after a Hatt 53..... I promise I'll keep it under 10 knots... can I still visit here if I get that? Please? You guys are so much fun.......
Old 12-01-2015, 11:31 PM   #36
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Oscar: You are welcome here even with a boat described as "don't know", so a Hatt 53 should be OK....provided you stay under 10 knots.
koliver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 02:28 PM   #37
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Next thing you know, someone will want to ban the name "Tug" from use in recreational boats because they don't tow. Then "Cruiser" because they aren't real cruise ships. Geeeesh!

Terms and words evolve into uses beyond their original form and meaning. It's called language. It's not static and never will be static. Those stuck in the past will be surpassed by the present. Countless nautical terms are an evolution of the original term, like starboard. I suppose I should get used to it, but it seems we have this silly argument every year about the word 'Trawler".

Very sorry for the thread creep.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 04:01 PM   #38
Guru

City: gulf coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunky View Post
Again, thanks for all the good input. More info from me: want a bit of speed for the leg on the loop from Carabelle to Steinhatche(sp) because Im not interested in the Gulf at night. Also the wife like to occasionally go over 10kts. We have a 21 foot Sea Hunt Escape now and we like to go fast if the time is right. Sounds like I need to go bigger than I originally thought. Dont want to make a mistake. Keep em coming!

Out 44' ACMY Carver did 22 knots and also got 2+ NMpg at 8 knots. Tell the tiny engine guys not to gasp but it two 420 hP cummins.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:36 PM   #39

City: Bethlehem, PA
Vessel Name: Lady Kay V
Vessel Model: Don't know yet.....
Well, the more I learn about the lungs in these things, the more I'm leaning to a naturally aspirated 8V71. Turbo's are finicky and close to three large each....

I am told though that the NA's will barely get on the step. Only with an empty boat and a fresh bottom job and a tailwind.....

So it just may BE a trawler.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:03 PM   #40
Veteran Member

City: NC-Fl
Vessel Name: Blue Bayou
Vessel Model: Hatteras 43 MY
Oscar, those old 43 Hatteras DC's will do pretty well on fuel @ 7 kts, but get on a plane with the NA Detroits. Ive seen them do close to 20kts. They sound cool too. Just ask the Hat forum. The 43 DC's are pretty cheap too. My 3208 Cats dont run on a plane to well and I have turbos. They are only 300 hp. Thats why I just poke along at 7.5 kts @ 3.5-4 gal/hr. Its nice and quite at that speed too. The only thing I'm missing is a big shrimp net to pull.

Magnawake is offline   Reply With Quote