Looking for a Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dear markpierce I hate to burst your bubble but you my friend do not own a "Trawler" even with its single diesel engine. By definition, a "trawler" is a fishing boat that pulls a trawl (net) to catch fish and these and only these boats are true "trawlers" also known as draggers to some. And yes, some of these true "Trawlers" had/have twins. What you own, in today's world is called a "recreational trawler", ...

You're preaching to the choir.

Again, thanks for all the good input. More info from me: want a bit of speed for the leg on the loop from Carabelle to Steinhatche(sp) because Im not interested in the Gulf at night. Also the wife like to occasionally go over 10kts. We have a 21 foot Sea Hunt Escape now and we like to go fast if the time is right. Sounds like I need to go bigger than I originally thought. Dont want to make a mistake. Keep em coming!

Dear markpierce I hate to burst your bubble but you my friend do not own a "Trawler" .. What you own, in today's world is called a "recreational trawler", ...

Received the renewed certificate of documentation from the USCG today. Indeed, it doesn't mention "trawler" but the operational endorsement says "recreation" (cannot engage in commercial ventures).

In any official communication with governmental authorities, I would describe the boat as a "motorized recreational vessel."

So IMO, you call your boat a trawler if you want to, and all it really means is that you prefer going somewhat slower than those who don't.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

OK, I'm lusting after a Hatt 53..... I promise I'll keep it under 10 knots... can I still visit here if I get that? Please? You guys are so much fun.......

Oscar: You are welcome here even with a boat described as "don't know", so a Hatt 53 should be OK....provided you stay under 10 knots.

Next thing you know, someone will want to ban the name "Tug" from use in recreational boats because they don't tow. Then "Cruiser" because they aren't real cruise ships. Geeeesh! :facepalm:

Terms and words evolve into uses beyond their original form and meaning. It's called language. It's not static and never will be static. Those stuck in the past will be surpassed by the present. Countless nautical terms are an evolution of the original term, like starboard. I suppose I should get used to it, but it seems we have this silly argument every year about the word 'Trawler". :confused: :nonono:

Very sorry for the thread creep.

Again, thanks for all the good input. More info from me: want a bit of speed for the leg on the loop from Carabelle to Steinhatche(sp) because Im not interested in the Gulf at night. Also the wife like to occasionally go over 10kts. We have a 21 foot Sea Hunt Escape now and we like to go fast if the time is right. Sounds like I need to go bigger than I originally thought. Dont want to make a mistake. Keep em coming!

Out 44' ACMY Carver did 22 knots and also got 2+ NMpg at 8 knots. Tell the tiny engine guys not to gasp but it two 420 hP cummins.

Well, the more I learn about the lungs in these things, the more I'm leaning to a naturally aspirated 8V71. Turbo's are finicky and close to three large each....

I am told though that the NA's will barely get on the step. Only with an empty boat and a fresh bottom job and a tailwind.....

So it just may BE a trawler. :thumb:

Oscar, those old 43 Hatteras DC's will do pretty well on fuel @ 7 kts, but get on a plane with the NA Detroits. Ive seen them do close to 20kts. They sound cool too. Just ask the Hat forum. The 43 DC's are pretty cheap too. My 3208 Cats dont run on a plane to well and I have turbos. They are only 300 hp. Thats why I just poke along at 7.5 kts @ 3.5-4 gal/hr. Its nice and quite at that speed too. The only thing I'm missing is a big shrimp net to pull.

Oscar, those old 43 Hatteras DC's will do pretty well on fuel @ 7 kts, but get on a plane with the NA Detroits. Ive seen them do close to 20kts. They sound cool too. Just ask the Hat forum. The 43 DC's are pretty cheap too. My 3208 Cats dont run on a plane to well and I have turbos. They are only 300 hp. Thats why I just poke along at 7.5 kts @ 3.5-4 gal/hr. Its nice and quite at that speed too. The only thing I'm missing is a big shrimp net to pull.

Lol, but I'm in lust with a 53, 20 kts with a NA is out of the question.... 14, 16 on the very outside. But yes, 7-8 and you can still hear yourself talk over the sucking fuel noise.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom