Old 05-15-2013, 12:56 PM   #1

City: kingston Ontario
Exclamation looking for trawler

I am presently the owner of a 1996 Searay 30' Sundancer. Nice boat, however I would like to cruise the Great loop. Sooooo...I am looking to sell or trade my Cruiser and pick up a good single engine diesel trawler in the 28' to 34' range. My boat comes fully loaded and is valued at about $35,000. I am looking to spend up to approx. $15,000 more for the appropriate trawler. I am on lake Ontario but I will consider anything on the great lakes and eastern seaboard to Texas as long as the quality and price is right... Dreamin of cruising..thanks

polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #2
Guru

City: Trenton
There is nothing on the great loop you couldn't do in your Searay. In the canals you can't go above 7kts and everywhere else your speed would be a blessing. Save the money and leave sooner.

alormaria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:40 PM   #3
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
I know some folks that did it in a 33 or34' SeaRay Sundancer. They had a great time.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: DC
Vessel Name: Carolena II
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 32/34
A couple in our marina also did it in their SeaRay Sundancer - 340 I think. Actually, only the male half of the couple did the whole trip - changed out the wife for another woman mid-stream (and last check was still with her - the new one, not the first wife). True story.
Carolena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:16 PM   #5
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
For several years we had a SeaRay 30 like yours, great boat and I'd not hesitate to do the loop with it. A $60K trawler would be slow and lots of maintenance in comparison. So long as you have AC/heat (ours did) you will be good to go anywhere. I'd buy a portable induction cooktop to back up the alcohol electric stove.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:54 PM   #6

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Name: Brass Ring
Vessel Model: 38 bayliner
If you still want to make a change, sell your boat where you are and buy back what you want in the Toledo Detroit area. you should not overlook diesel motoryachts operated at trawler speed . stay on the upper side of length if you want to come back with a marriage. 38 is not bad
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #7

City: kingston Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by alormaria View Post
There is nothing on the great loop you couldn't do in your Searay. In the canals you can't go above 7kts and everywhere else your speed would be a blessing. Save the money and leave sooner.
My Searay 30 is a twin engine gas burning boat...Sure it runs great and would make a comfortable cruise...however...its two V8s. I am retired and on pension, there is no way I could do the miles at a reasonable expense...Single engine trawler I feel is the only answer...thanks for all your input...still looking
polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:01 AM   #8
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
I hear what your saying on the mileage issue but the old saying is, "you can buy a lot of gas for the $15K your adding to upgrade".

I have a single 350 gasser in our Owens and when I keep it off plane it does pretty good on mileage. Problem for me is keeping it off plane What can I say, I like to have fun. The trawler will give you more elbow room and a little bit cheaper travel too. Avoiding 2 foot itus was hard when we where shopping, it's too easy to rationalize.

Good luck in your hunt Polo and welcome to the forum.

The person who is saying something is impossible should not interrupt the person who is doing it.
CPseudonym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 05:40 AM   #9
FF
Guru

"there is no way I could do the miles at a reasonable expense."

You are contemplating running your boat as you have in the past.

The mud run is very different as the majority of time you will be at idle.Perhaps on one engine.

Your gas engines are not that bad at idle , and if you wish to improve the fuel economy a simple switch with an adapter plate to a two barrel carb will help at very low canal speeds.Changing back is a simple swop.

IF you are looking for a bigger more comfortable boat , great , but fuel savings wont add up to much.

As you know a bigger boat is more dock buck$ , more insurance bucks , and should the 30 year old diesel engine act up ,,,WAY! more repair or replacement buck$.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote