Old 06-06-2014, 10:54 AM   #1

City: Washington DC
Vessel Name: Après Ski
Vessel Model: 1991 French Canal Boat
Looking for Surveyor and Carpenter in the Chesapeake area

Hi Everyone-

We are pretty far along in our search for phase 3 of our unexcused absence (a 40-ish foot, old-school trawler), and will hopefully need the services of both a "buyer's" surveyor, and then maybe a good carpenter, somewhere along the Annapolis / Deltaville / Norfolk / Great Bridge / Chesapeake axis.

For the surveyor, we are looking for someone to really dig into the boat's systems and give us candid recommendations, not just a bank or insurance surveyor.

For the carpenter, we are looking for (and are willing to pay for) high quality work. The biggest questions, if you all have any recommendations, are; did they do the work in the time frame promised, and within at least some semblance of the estimated price?

While I am a newly registered user to TF, I have been lurking for months and have come to respect and value your opinions very much. So thank you in advance!

-Kent (M/V Après Ski)
Old 06-06-2014, 05:19 PM   #2

Brett at Atlantic Yacht Basin in Great Bridge. Beautiful work (fine furniture quality), will probably be spot on with estimate and completion time, not cheap.
Tomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 12:37 AM   #3
Guru

City: Cruising East Coast US
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
Call me and I'll make some recommendations.
Old 06-07-2014, 07:38 AM   #4
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
For that kind of survey, Gale Browning of Hartoft in Annapolis. Did my Hatt when I bought, and I hired her based on the recommendation of several trawler and power boat buyers.

I have seen some of Atlantic Yacht Basin's work when staying there; agree it is top notch and they are really good people. Up in Baltimore, I and the PO of my boat had a lot of work done by Anchor Bay East, and also saw a lot of their work. Worth talking to. As a point of reference, the PO used to keep the boat at Calvert Marina in Solomons, right next to Washburns and near a few other yards with good reps. He took the boat to up to Anchor Bay to have any yard work done.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #5

City: Washington DC
Vessel Name: Après Ski
Vessel Model: 1991 French Canal Boat
Thank you Tomas, Daddyo, and caltexflanc for your responses, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Did some poking around the interwebs and Brett Taylor (son of James Taylor the GM?) looks great.

Am also intrigued by Anchor Bay East and will drop in next time we are up near Baltimore.

Thanks again!
-Kent (Après Ski)
Old 06-09-2014, 06:44 AM   #6
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Peter Hartoft in Annapolis. He's done two surveys for us over the last 20 years or so...

-Chris