Old 02-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #1
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Looking pretty, Red Oak

Red Oak, a WWII Victory ship, is looking pretty here docked along Port Portrero Reach in Richmond, CA.* Pictures taken on my Monday solo trip to the KKMI boat yard in Pt. Richmond.

http://www.ssredoakvictory.com/index.htm
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:44 AM   #2
Master and Commander

RE: Looking pretty, Red Oak

Wikipedia says it was:

The vessel was decommissioned in 1946 and returned to the U.S. Maritime Commission. Red Oak Victory was used by the Luckenbach Steamship Company from 1947 through the 1950s, during which time the vessel went to Japan, Korea, Cuba, Pakistan, India, Singapore and Japan again. Red Oak Victory was operated by American Mail Lines for the Military Sea Transport Service from 1966 to 1968, making a dozen voyages to Vietnam, Japan and the Philippines carrying military supplies loaded at West Coast ports. From 1968 until 1998, the vessel was laid up in the National Defense Reserve Fleet in Suisun Bay.

Doomed to be scrapped, the Red Oak Victory came to the attention of the Richmond Museum Association in 1993. In 1996 Congress passed legislation authorizing the conveyance of the ship to the Museum Association. Red Oak Victory was turned over to the Richmond Museum of History and returned to a new home in Richmond on September 20, 1998. It is being restored and operated by the Richmond Museum of History, and is part of the Rosie the Riveter/World War II Home Front National Historical Park.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #3
Scraping Paint

City: -

Interesting factoid------ In making the movie "Titanic" they needed several shots looking back at the ship's wake. James Cameron wanted the film to be as accurate as possible in portraying the ship, and while CGI (computer generated imagery) is pretty amazing these days, water is just about the hardest thing to duplicate accurately with CGI. So they needed a real wake thrown by a real ship. The challenge was finding a ship that would put out a wake similar to the hull of the Titanic. The only ship they could find that put out the same kind of wake was a WWII Liberty ship. I have no idea which ship was used or where they shot it, but when you watch the movie the shots looking back at the ship's wake are actually of a Liberty ship's wake.

Another factoid of even less interest----- When WWII broke out in Europe, my father, who was a French citizen, was in Mexico. The order went out for all male French nationals who were overseas to return to France to help defend the country. My father, along with a lot of other Frenchmen, boarded a ship in Mexico and it set out for France. Later that day or the next day they got the word that France had fallen. So the ship turned around and returned to Mexico. My father eventually ended up in the San Francisco Bay area where, needing a job, he got one as a welder at a Kaiser shipyard building Liberty ships. Toward the end of the war he met my mother at a writer's conference in San Francisco.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
Marin wrote:Another factoid of even less interest----- When WWII broke out in Europe, my father, who was a French citizen, was in Mexico.
*Marin,

Do you qualify for a French Citizenship as well as US?

The males in my family all qualify for dual citizenship in Italy.* It seems that the Italian Government recognized my father and uncles as Italian Citizens being as at the time they were born my Grandfather was not a US Citizen yet.* So that means that I can apply and get an Italian Citizenship it I want to go through the expense.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #5
Scraping Paint

Quote:
JD wrote:

Do you qualify for a French Citizenship as well as US?

*Not that I know of, but it's not something I've ever been interested in looking into so I don't know for sure.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37

I have dual citizenship through Foreign Registry (Ireland) because of my family heritage. Expense was minimal, paperwork was not. I have worked internationally for the past ten years and there were times/countries where I was glad to have the option of showing either a US or an EU passport.

dvd
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
JD
Guru

City: New Bern NC
Vessel Name: Stella Di Mare
Vessel Model: Mainship 34t

Quote:
dvd wrote:I have worked internationally for the past ten years and there were times/countries where I was glad to have the option of showing either a US or an EU passport.

dvd
*That would be a major value I'm sure.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #8

City: Circleville, Ohio
Vessel Name: Sunset Lady
Vessel Model: 1975 Chris Craft 35 Aft Cabin

For us East coast folks, the American Victory victory ship is located in Tampa. Very nicely restored, great self-guided tour. And they try and cruise it twice a year or so. Well worth a visit. Easy to find right behind the aquarium.
Bilgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 12:55 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

Looking pretty, Red Oak

Quote:
dvd wrote:I have worked internationally for the past ten years and there were times/countries where I was glad to have the option of showing either a US or an EU passport.

dvd
*That would be a major value I'm sure.

There are some countries that when we are there and are out and about town we wear Vancouver Canuck or Canadian flag-logoed shirts and hats and throw in a few "eh"s and "aboots" for good measure in the hope we will appear to be Canadians, not Americans.....

-- Edited by Marin on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 02:56:01 PM
Old 02-08-2012, 05:56 PM   #10
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44

"eh" I hear a lot in Canada. "aboot"? never. Sounds like you are trying to sound Scottish? Now if I want to sound like I belong in Washington State, "uh-huh".
koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
Scraping Paint

Quote:
koliver wrote:
"eh" I hear a lot in Canada. "aboot"? never. Sounds like you are trying to sound Scottish? Now if I want to sound like I belong in Washington State, "uh-huh".
*Almost every native-born (I've assumed)*Canadian I have ever talked to-- in coastal and interior*BC, Calgary, Toronto, PEI, on the Candian Pacific Railroad, at WestJet, etc.--- has pronounced the "ow" in a lot of words with a softer "oo" sound.* It's not a total "oo" sound, but it's very close and very distinctive.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:47 PM   #12

City: South Puget Sound, WA

My sis married a Canadian and spent about thirty years in northen Alberta. They are down here in the states now but she still talks some Canadian.
Budds Outlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 08:53 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

One of my favorite "english" accents is that spoken in the Canadian maritimes.* While my only personal experience in the maritimes so far has been a stay on PEI and a trip on the Bluenose out of Lunenburg, NS, the accents were very prevalent in two TV series, "Trailer Park Boys" (Nova Scotia) and the current "Republic of Doyle," which features several Newfoundland actors/actresses.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #14

Ya, sis married a Newfy.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:22 PM   #15
Guru

City: Springdale, NL
Vessel Name: Ocean Breeze
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 85OA38
Looking pretty, Red Oak

Quote:
Budds Outlet wrote:
Ya, sis married a Newfy.
*Hey Dan, What part hof ome she from by'e?

Elwin

-- Edited by Ocean Breeze NL on Wednesday 8th of February 2012 11:23:03 PM
Ocean Breeze NL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #16

Elwin,
Brother-in-law grew up in St. John's, Black Marsh Road near Mundy Pond. Last name is Winsor. The Winsor/Windsor family goes back several hundred years at Aquaforte, about 40 miles south of St John's. As I understand the history, there was a falling out and his side moved to St John's.

Have you read The Boat Who Wouldn't Float yet?
Old 02-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #17
Master and Commander

Well, the northern red oak tree is native to the very southeastern Canada (and the northeastern United States.)
Old 02-09-2012, 09:45 AM   #18

And St John's Newfoundland was a port of refuge for the Liberty Ships