Looking for my next (last) Boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mainship400

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Glacier Bay 2770
We are looking for a boat we can use in our retirement to spend time in Florida and the Bahamas, 6 months per year. I am 64, and I want to do this as long as I can physically do it, so looking for a boat that does not require too much bilge yoga. We spent several years cruising for months at a time in Florida and the Bahamas on a Mainship 400, so have that boat as a frame of reference. Like all boats, the Mainship had its limitations, so trying to find something that would be an improvement.
The features we would like, in order of importance to us:
1. Less than $250,000
2. Ease of Maintenance – Excellent Engine room access, no teak, not a project boat
3. Comfortable salon, room for small sleeper sofa and 2 easy chairs
4. Island berth, you can sleep on it, no wave slap like on hard chine power boats with master in bow
5. Stabilized
6. Good for occasional single handing – thrusters or dual engines, access to both sides
Here is my relative ranking (compared to the Mainship 400 of some other boats we have been considering. Any thoughts on others that we should be looking at?

Criteria Mainship40 Mainship34T Krogen 39 Defever 44 ?
Price 3 3 1 2
Maintenance 2 1 2 3
Salon 1 2 2 3
Single handing 2 3 2 1
Stabilized 1 1 3 3
Sound sleeper 1 1 2 3

Relative Ranking - 1= Poor, 2= Better, 3=Best

If you could find a Defever 44 with stabilizers for under $250k, that is the winner in my opinion. KK39 would be next although not sure they fall under 250k. Then the MS400 Then 34T. Obviously you aren't going to find Mainships that are stabilized.

Here is a Selene 43 that ticks all of your boxes...and a veritable bargain at $269k

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/19...d-trawler-3056745/?refSource=standard listing

We are looking for a boat we can use in our retirement to spend time in Florida and the Bahamas, 6 months per year. I am 64, and I want to do this as long as I can physically do it, so looking for a boat that does not require too much bilge yoga. We spent several years cruising for months at a time in Florida and the Bahamas on a Mainship 400, so have that boat as a frame of reference. Like all boats, the Mainship had its limitations, so trying to find something that would be an improvement.
The features we would like, in order of importance to us:
1.Less than $250,000
2.Ease of Maintenance – Excellent Engine room access, no teak, not a project boat
3.Comfortable salon, room for small sleeper sofa and 2 easy chairs
4.Island berth, you can sleep on it, no wave slap like on hard chine power boats with master in bow
5.Stabilized
6.Good for occasional single handing – thrusters or dual engines, access to both sides
Here is my relative ranking (compared to the Mainship 400 of some other boats we have been considering. Any thoughts on others that we should be looking at?

Criteria Mainship40Mainship34TKrogen 39Defever 44?
Price 3 3 1 2
Maintenance 2 1 2 3
Salon 1 2 2 3
Single handing 2 3 2 1
Stabilized 1 1 3 3
Sound sleeper 1 1 2 3

Relative Ranking - 1= Poor, 2= Better, 3=Best
A DeFever 44 meets all of your needs. We live aboard one. The saloon is large enough for a sectional and two chairs as long as there are no built-in settees. But they can easily be removed. We did that. The engine room is quite spacious, 5.5 feet of head room, all services easily accessible. The master stateroom is aft and has a center-line queen berth.

I believe, however, at this time you will find just a few on the market. Well-founded DF44s don't stay on the market very long.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you could find a Defever 44 with stabilizers for under $250k, that is the winner in my opinion. KK39 would be next although not sure they fall under 250k. Then the MS400 Then 34T. Obviously you aren't going to find Mainships that are stabilized.

Here is a Selene 43 that ticks all of your boxes...and a veritable bargain at $269k

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/19...d-trawler-3056745/?refSource=standard listing

Your combination of choices are good ones but you will be challenged to find a good boat with stabilizers in that price range. Our list was comparable and had to add $100K after 1 year!
If you look at that Selene, take a moisture meter. Top of the line Skipper Tramex will set u back $500+ (there are cheaper options) but it will pay for itself with the first boat you look at & save $$ Survey surprises. Good luck - the right boat is out there!

Your combination of choices are good ones but you will be challenged to find a good boat with stabilizers in that price range. Our list was comparable and had to add $100K after 1 year!
If you look at that Selene, take a moisture meter. Top of the line Skipper Tramex will set u back $500+ (there are cheaper options) but it will pay for itself with the first boat you look at & save $$ Survey surprises. Good luck - the right boat is out there!

Poppycock. Here's a nice, stabilized DeFever 44 for $209,000. You had to add $100K after buying your boat? Did you have it surveyed before buying? If so, didn't the survey reveal the deficiencies? Sir, there are plenty of boats out there that meet the criteria and in that price range!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993/defever-offshore-cruiser-3102644/?refSource=standard listing

Poppycock. Here's a nice, stabilized DeFever 44 for $209,000. You had to add $100K after buying your boat? Did you have it surveyed before buying? If so, didn't the survey reveal the deficiencies? Sir, there are plenty of boats out there that meet the criteria and in that price range!

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1993/defever-offshore-cruiser-3102644/?refSource=standard listing

Very good find there CatalinaJack!!! That is a stellar deal and looks like a great boat!!!! Those boats are VERY hard to beat for a cruising powerboat. They are always at the top of my list!!!

Back
Top Bottom