Old 06-19-2019, 01:19 PM   #1

City: red bank
Vessel Name: loungeitude
Vessel Model: Sealine T47
Looking for a Input on a new boat

Looking to move my life (me and 2 mutts) onto a 60-70' vessel. Presently looking at Marlow/Outer Reef/Fleming. Love the Fleming but cost is much greater than the other 2. Wondering about build quality and rough water hanling and comfort. Plan to cruise from the east coast to Alaska and back and then tour the Caribbean for a few years.
loungeitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:32 PM   #2
Guru

City: San Diego, CA
Vessel Name: Second Chance
Vessel Model: 42' Uniflite Double Cabin
Are you sure 70' feet is going to be large enough? Might want to bump up to the 90-100' range to be sure you have enough space for you and your two dogs. Better sea keeping qualities in the larger boat too.
sbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:40 PM   #3

I don't want to be over confident on my solo seamanship abilities so I will stick to the reasonable size limits. I presently have a 47' vessel and it is too small. And not for nothing,.... but it's my money. I earned it. And I intend to enjoy my years in retirement before my niece and nephews get to fight over whatever is left when I kick the bucket
Old 06-19-2019, 01:54 PM   #4

City: florida
Good for you loungeitude, usually the mental midgets respond with some garbage like above because they can't offer anything of use to the discussion. I also can not offer anything of value because I don't know those boats well but I surely won't disparage you for having the means and desire to buy what you want. Good luck.
boatruptcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
I love the Flemings. There are a lot of articles and videos of a 65’, I think, that Tony Fleming owns. He has done a lot of long range cruising on it.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 02:13 PM   #6
Guru

I was recently on a friends 75' steel yacht. For myself I can't see single handing a boat that size, but his is an older boat that was never setup to do that. If you are able to, that's great. He has a part time crew of three including a mechanic.

Only half jesting about going bigger, once you get much over 50-60 feet it's all very relative, especially if you are looking in the used market. A newer/new boat with all the latest technology assists with docking controls, cameras, multiple docking stations, thrusters, etc.. take a lot of that out of the equation. Nordhavn is very nice in that size range and some of the members here have experience with them.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:27 PM   #7

Handling a larger vessel is much easier now that bow and stern thrusters and remote docking stations are common. Definitely going with twin engines for close quarter maneuverability They weigh a lot, and aren't as prone to windage as a lighter boat. I have the experience and a 100 ton license so I can get insurance to operate it myself. Nordhavn is awesome but draws too much water (6'-7') so I had to take that off the list.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:32 PM   #8

Cost of a later model (2012+) Fleming 65 is over $3 million. Definitely a deterrent. But I agree.. They are beautiful, well made vessels. Other than the cost of buying one it would be my first choice
Old 06-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #9
Guru

With the variety of missions you have in mind, have you considered a power cat?
Old 06-19-2019, 04:28 PM   #10
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Flemming ticks all my boxes. When I win the lottery (I've never played), if the after tax is over 20 million, I'll be in the market for one. In the meantime, I'll just get aroused every time I cruise by there brokerage in Stuart, FL.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:29 PM   #11

City: Eastcoast
Vessel Model: American Tug 41
One thing about the Fleming and Marlow (not sure about Outer Reef) is they have a certain amount of exterior woodwork, which impacts maintenance if that is a factor for you.
Passagemaker has some fairly recent reviews of both the Fleming and the Marlow Here:

https://www.passagemaker.com/cruiser-reviews

...plus some other models that seem really nice, for example the Scandinavians make such interesting products like the Steeler Yachts, Here.

Oh and one more possibility, an Elling 65, ocean rated and complete with a built-in dinghy garage in the transom
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/201...nced%20listing
sledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:17 PM   #12
Guru

Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Hatteras 48 LRC
I had a 1977 Hatteras MY. Great boat and I did spend time cruising alone but was also younger. I just last week helped a friend and his wife move their 40ft Mainship from San Francisco to San Diego. I consider myself pretty spry and while I might have been able to handle the docking by myself it would be challenging and maybe impossible if conditions had been rough.

I expect if you have the ability to afford a large boat you would consider hiring crew and/or having friends if you were making longer transits? Only so many hours one person can stay at the helm before catching some sleep! Good luck with your search.
READY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:20 PM   #13
Guru

City: SchoolHouse Branch
Did you see this one?

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s...ens-45085.html
Boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #14
Guru

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Speedy Charlotte
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44

I asked the Captain who I recently hired what boat he'd buy if money wasn't an issue. He said an Ocean Alexander. Their 70e is pretty stunning. Not sure what your budget is, but might be worth checking. Also, the Nordhavn 59 Coastal Pilot is a semi displacement hull so doesn't draw as much water as their FD boats. Just some thoughts...
MichaelB1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:53 PM   #15
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Such large boats restrict where one might dock, no? Can't see docking at Sam's Cafe in Tiburon or at Jack London Square in Oakland, either, to mention just a couple.
Old 06-19-2019, 09:56 PM   #16

Not a big fan of cats. Been on a few. I have thought about the N59CP. Have to give it another look especially now they are going to make a version with an extended cabin. A lot of boats that members recommend have a really deep draft. I want to keep it around 5’. Asfor concerns about docking in bad conditions, I will often have friends and family visiting when I make a passage. Else I will plan to stay in until conditions improve. A decent amount of cruising in bad conditions results from poor planning or a rush to get somewhere. Those red flags were ingrained in my brain when I used to fly aircraft.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:02 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by loungeitude View Post
Not a big fan of cats. Been on a few. I have thought about the N59CP. Have to give it another look especially now they are going to make a version with an extended cabin. A lot of boats that members recommend have a really deep draft. I want to keep it around 5’. Asfor concerns about docking in bad conditions, I will often have friends and family visiting when I make a passage. Else I will plan to stay in until conditions improve. A decent amount of cruising in bad conditions results from poor planning or a rush to get somewhere. Those red flags were ingrained in my brain when I used to fly aircraft.

Ocean Alexander 70e, not a cat, draft between 4'10" - 5'. Interior is gorgeous, as is engine room!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5407.JPG
Views:	109
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	90210
Old 06-19-2019, 10:03 PM   #18
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Such large boats restrict where one might dock, no? Can't see docking at Sam's Cafe in Tiburon or at Jack London Square in Oakland, either, to mention just a couple.
OP said he'd cruise from East Coast to Alaska, and Caribbean.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:45 PM   #19

City: Pintung/ Taiwan
I did a delivery on a 70 foot Outer Reef a few years ago in what would best be described as challenging weather.
Our delivery started In Rothsyth Scotland in 6-8 foot seas with 25-30 knot of wind, not idea weather but the tide in the North Sea ranges in the 4 meter area so you get the wind over tide creating a very short nasty chop that lasted all the way down to the English channel.
The weather improved a bit once we got into the channel with winds of 10-15 knts and seas 4-6 on the bow.
Even with the less than ideal weather the boat surpassed my expectations with excellent sea keeping and a nice comfortable ride.
Just working is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 10:47 PM   #20
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Going from 47’ to 60/70’ is a size jump that many insurers will not cover, especially on a solo owner/operator.

Our LOA is almost 60’, and I have soloed this boat several times in varying conditions- I can see where things could go very wrong very quickly.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote