Old 03-14-2018, 07:37 AM   #1

City: Simpsonville
Looking for a good trawler charter in Florida

Good day everybody, I'm new to this forum and I'd like to plan our first trawler vacation. I looked at a few charter companies and I found Chitwood Charters in Sarasota FL. I found some reviews online and they are not really convincing... Could anybody on this forum let me know how this charter company is and if there are any other charter companies out there what are worth to be checked out.
Thanks a lot for any input, cheers.
juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:03 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
These guys generally get great reviews. Have looked at their charter fleet, but never chartered from them.

Yacht Charters Florida Trawler Charters - Sailboat Powerboat Bareboat, Grand Banks, Krogen, and Mainship Yacht Charters

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:27 PM   #3
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
We very happily chartered from Chitwood, boats were in good condition. One oddity was that you had to make sure to specify upfront that you wanted a dinghy. Otherwise, at least the boats we used, no dinghy. Disclaimer: this experience was 12 years ago.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 11:04 PM   #4
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Chitwood and Southwest both have good reputations from those I've spoken to who have used one or both.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 12:47 AM   #5

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Mersea
Vessel Model: Marquis 59
Have chartered with Southwest.

I would recommend them. They tend to be a bit heavy on the tipping thing for staff. Overall they represent the conditions of their boats accurately and they are good people to charter from.

There current location is in cape coral at Tarpon Pt marina. Great place, we stayed there a couple of days week before last when we cruised down from Clearwater.
FootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #6
Obx

City: Outer banks NC
We used Southwest 2 years ago and was so pleased we chartered from them 3 times
Obx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 09:10 AM   #7

Thanks for your inputs! The one thing I don't like with Chitwood is that the dingy is 700 bucks extra for a week and especially the high deductible for the charter, $6600 for the 42' Grand Banks, that's hard to digest if something happens....
That's much more as SW, they have a $1800 deductible....
Are there any other charter companies out there?
Old 03-15-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by juergen View Post
Thanks for your inputs! The one thing I don't like with Chitwood is that the dingy is 700 bucks extra for a week and especially the high deductible for the charter, $6600 for the 42' Grand Banks, that's hard to digest if something happens....
That's much more as SW, they have a $1800 deductible....
Are there any other charter companies out there?
Get a policy of your own through your insurer to cover the deductible. If you have an umbrella policy get it to cover it.
Old 03-15-2018, 02:57 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Get a policy of your own through your insurer to cover the deductible. If you have an umbrella policy get it to cover it.
I called my Allstate insurance and they say there is nothing out there what would cover the deductible...
Would u know a insurance provider what would do that?
Old 03-15-2018, 03:55 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by juergen View Post
I called my Allstate insurance and they say there is nothing out there what would cover the deductible...
Would u know a insurance provider what would do that?
Most umbrella policies would or could. It might also just be how you choose which charterer. We are covered through our regular policy which was through Lloyd's and I forget for the moment who the actual insurer is, but we're just covered the same as we are for our boats so same deductible, nothing that would really help in your situation.
Old 03-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #11
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Wow, that 700 bucks for the dinghy could be a deal killer, I don't recall it being anywhere near that much if anything. But the total cost of the charter is what would determine that.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:35 AM   #12

City: Sarasota Florida
Capt Chitwood

Hello , Chitwood Charters is now 40 years old and the first to charter Grand Banks in the US . We do not put Dingys in the price of a charter because most clients go Resort to Resort . We are the least expensive in the charter business . Those who wish to add a dingy may choose to with out charges to those who will not use one. Add the charter and dink price and you are still at a great Value for the Dollar . Thank you all for your reviews and mostly a Great Big Thank You to my satisfied Clients who have kept us in business for the 40 years . This means the World to me !!! Capt Jerry
32blackfin is offline   Reply With Quote