Looking for crew/professional or otherwise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Island Hope

Vessel Name
island Hope
We are new to the forum as members but have looked at it from time to time for years. My wife and I ran a 61' Hatteras CMY for 9 years primarily in South Florida and the Bahamas. We pushed that boat to its limits as far as range and time out on the hook. Our current boat came on the market and we saw an opportunity for greatly expanded range and time out on the hook without need of marinas. Current boat is a 94' steel hull trawler. We sold old boat and house and became liveaboards.
We knew we would need crew to run the boat when we bought it but underestimated how much of a challenge it would be to find the right person and /or persons. We have had professional crew but professional crew who are looking to work on a trawler and live the "trawler" livestyle are not common. We thought we would post on this forum and see if any members know of crew interested in such a job. We plan to cruise the Bahamas and eastern Caribbean once hurricane season passes. We are open to suggests as to where we might find crew besides this forum. We would be open to individuals who are experienced but have or have not worked professional as crew. Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks for the suggestions as to places to put our request for crew. We will follow up on your suggestions. Many Thanks Island Hope

We are new to the forum as members but have looked at it from time to time for years. My wife and I ran a 61' Hatteras CMY for 9 years primarily in South Florida and the Bahamas. We pushed that boat to its limits as far as range and time out on the hook. Our current boat came on the market and we saw an opportunity for greatly expanded range and time out on the hook without need of marinas. Current boat is a 94' steel hull trawler. We sold old boat and house and became liveaboards.
We knew we would need crew to run the boat when we bought it but underestimated how much of a challenge it would be to find the right person and /or persons. We have had professional crew but professional crew who are looking to work on a trawler and live the "trawler" livestyle are not common. We thought we would post on this forum and see if any members know of crew interested in such a job. We plan to cruise the Bahamas and eastern Caribbean once hurricane season passes. We are open to suggests as to where we might find crew besides this forum. We would be open to individuals who are experienced but have or have not worked professional as crew. Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.

Are you looking for full time employees, 12 months a year, with benefits and taxes, etc.? Are you offering an appropriate wage?

Or are you looking for contract crew just to run you here and there?

You need a lot more clarification of what you are looking for. You might start with how many crewmen you need and what duties you expect them to perform. Crewmen are like most other employees and are looking to make a living.

This was a hit and run, a drive by. OP posted only times on Sept 3, never to be heard from again.

Did have much response when I first posted but I do appreciate those who did post. I have filled the position. Irma was not kind to both my boat and property so I have been preoccupied with making repairs. Life starting to get back to normal

Did have much response when I first posted but I do appreciate those who did post. I have filled the position. Irma was not kind to both my boat and property so I have been preoccupied with making repairs. Life starting to get back to normal

Wifey B: Sorry Irma was unkind to you. You're in Fort Myers aren't you? :eek:

Good luck finding crew.
Was the previous name of your beautiful
trawler "Black Douglas". I remember
seeing her in Montauk, N.Y. several years ago.

Yes she is the old Black Douglas. The previous owner has her designed and built to his specs and would run her between Montauk and Stuart Fl as well as cruises to the Bahamas. My wife and I feel lucky to have found her.

I understand your busy with Irma issues but give us some details on your boat when you can. One of the only rules we have (kidding) is we require pictures on this forum. Good luck getting your life back to normal. Only 3 weeks left in this most memorable Hurricane season,thank god!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom