Looking For a Capstan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xsbank

Guru
Vessel Name
Gwaii Haanas
Vessel Make
Custom Aluminum 52
I want a vertical capstan with a rope-only drum so I can use it to pull traps and haul in a stern-line. I have an unused hydraulic circuit so that is what I would like to power it with. I will mount it on the stern somewhere.

Does anybody have any idea where I could get such a thing? I know Muir used to make them but they are entirely too fancy and expensive for my old boat. Something with a "patina" on it to match my boat's finish would be best. 8^)

Ideal Windlass http://http://www.idealwindlass.com makes what you want. There website is poor, but you'll get an idea from the pics of the quality of their product. Best to give them a call. I have their double horizontal capstan on my trawler and a single vertical capstan on my charter boat. Both are available in electric AC or DC and hydraulic.

Ted

Unless you are planning to haul your boat to the shore on your stern line, this will do a good job for the rest:

scotty | No. 2500 Line Puller

I have hauled a line of prawn traps with one of these, while they were fouled under a log boom, and it did the job. I may have found the maximum load that the Scotty could handle, but it was far more than I had ever expected to need. Simple 12V supply. required.

Thank you for your responses! The Ideal windlasses are good gear, I had one on the bow of my Grand Banks and rebuilt the entire thing myself, it was built like a tank. I think the motor was a starter motor off a 1954 Cadillac. The rest of it was heavy, solid and very well-made. Unfortunately, I am not going to spend multiple boat dollars for a vertical capstan.

The Scotty works very well, I have been using one on my dinghy for a year now, but I want something to permanently mount on the mother ship to utilize my hydraulics and after the experience of pulling in over 200 feet of stern line last year after setting it, I would like a capstan to do the work. My lovely wife has a vision impairment and cannot run the boat or take a sternline to shore so it's all up to me. I can't stay at the helm and hold the boat in position so I use a very long stern tie rope and let the wind and tide have its way then pull the stern to where it should be.

Xsbank,
I still have my reel winch.
May even be more availible now.

Hi Hawg, not yet. I haven't had much luck in there in the past but I'll go there tomorrow. Good call.

Eric, My winch broke last summer so I had to do a repair to it and now it's in much better shape. I kinda put its replacement on hold. I did buy a 30 kg stainless Trefoil (Bruce) anchor to see if I could get a more consistent set than I was getting with the Delta. I will be putting that on next week. If you have a proposition for me for the winch, PM?

Try calling your local commercial fishing supplier or perhaps a hydraulic shop. They can probably advise you best which capstan to use with your current system. It's all about pressure and flow rate of your pump.

That's true, is have no idea what the flow and pressure is but I currently run a hydraulic anchor windlass and a hydraulic Pullmaster winch to raise and launch the dinghy. I only use one system at a time and the system seems capable, doesn't get too hot and works fast and slow. I have an unused hydraulic loop that is perfectly (well, with some longer hoses) placed to run a capstan. I just have to figure out the plumbing and the direction of the flow.

This project will distract me from the Great Water Tank Clean-out Project and will be less knee-work.

Something with a "patina" on it to match my boat's finish would be best. 8^)

Sad that Popeye's "sexchange" is no more. I'll ask around in Steveston to see if there is old commercial fishing gear that might be available.

Jim

Yes, Popeye's was boater heaven. Sorely missed.

Yes, old fishing gear would be ideal, I have a modicum of skill to rebuild mechanical stuff.

Yes, Popeye's was boater heaven. Sorely missed.

Yes, old fishing gear would be ideal, I have a modicum of skill to rebuild mechanical stuff.

Having read your desire to pull in a stern-line: What about a de-rated commercial crab pot hauler? That could be affixed under your boat deck on the stern. It would also be "da bomb" for pulling prawn or crab pots.

Anyways, I've put in a request for you with some of my colleagues. My shipwright works on many of the commercial fishing vessels in Steveston and he will have an idea.

Jim

Ideal Windlass

I have used an Ideal Windlasses for over 25 years. They are great, and bulletproof so far. If you need parts, they offer parts for ones made as far back as 1940. Buy one - you cannot go wrong.

Ideals are, well, ideal. I really want hydraulic, however. I don't have 12v at the stern but I've got hydraulics right there. Hydraulic Ideal?

JD, that would work. I've been zoned in on a vertical capstan but I could hang a crab pot thing off the ceiling of the cockpit...hmmm.

IF you are handy I have a setup you could add Hyd too , with some work

Will dig it out and post it on for sale section.

Cheap, but heavy , so shipping to AK might be big $$$$$. Guess 40 lbs.

Hi FF - Alaska? That's a long way to go for me to pick it up. Hawaii would be better, or maybe Cabo?

Xsbank; said:
I want a vertical capstan with a rope-only drum...
You still in the hunt? I'll be up Island in a couple weeks and in close proximity to some potential sources.

Eric, whatchagot?

Thank you all for your efforts, still looking. I am in France right now and we embark on our penichette in the Canal du Midi tomorrow so please be patient! Gwaii Haanas is currently nurturing barnacles but I will continue with the project in May. You guys are great!

Eric, Your anchor windlass is identical to the one I've got, except your has a drum brake and mine has a buckshee disc brake. Otherwise I'd be all over it. It will clean up fine, the chain is easily replaced and the bearings are bulletproof. Exactly what I did with mine.

Hawg, any luck on finding a capstan/windlass in your travels? I'm still looking.

If you are feeling really ambitious, or have the right contacts to build it, I am very enamored of the setup on my boat's windlass. The parts would be cheap, but the labor to build it would be considerable. It is a super strong beast! All the hydraulic motors and gears are off the shelf industrial parts I think.

(I don't understand why this site automatically turns some of your pictures upside-down, or how to fix it?)

Attachments

• IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_0048.jpg
    IMG_0048.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0049.jpg
    IMG_0049.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Thanks for looking.

Hawg, any luck on finding a capstan/windlass in your travels? I'm still looking.
I've got a ex-commercial pal in Kelsey Bay who just had a bunch of plumbing relocated from a leg and arm to his chest. He's gonna be pretty bored until September so I told him I didn't want to talk to him until he finds us one.

See what he does, unless he's happy not talkin' to me.

New or used, commercial fishing sites and suppliers are where to look, too.
fisheriessupply.com in Seattle.
Oregon Coast Maritime Services commercial boat broker that has a for sale page.
boats-and-harbors.com always has someone selling hydraulic capstans.
Ebay always has a bunch.

Some of the newer sail boat winches have an electric motor mounted under.

If you could see to copy the motor mount , a bracket and hyd motor would be cheap on a used sheet winch.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom