Old 10-23-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Twins are more efficient, got it?

No, I have no desire to ignite yet another debate here. I just found this interesting:

Fleming Yachts 58 (2017-) 2017 Reviews,performance,compare,price,warranty, specs,Reports,Specifications Layout, video | BoatTEST.com

It is a 'review' of the Fleming 58 which goes to significant length to prove that 2x800 HP is more efficient than 1x175HP. See about 2 mins into the video.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Nope! Not gonna' buy a $2.9 million boat if their brochure contains typos. What else might they have missed? Unless a spiril stair is an Aussie thing which we Yanks cannot be expected to understand.

Truly interesting that a pair of idling behemoths are more fuel efficient than a single or pair sized for the job and running at some reasonable loading.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:04 PM   #3

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHeckrotte View Post
Nope! Not gonna' buy a $2.9 million boat if their brochure contains typos. What else might they have missed? Unless a spiril stair is an Aussie thing which we Yanks cannot be expected to understand.
To be fair, I don't think this is a Fleming publication? It's boattest.com.

And, that's just the start of the typos. Ridiculous. "Waistcoating?" "staeroom?"

When I was in the market for a Fleming I reviewed all their materials extensively, don't believe I ever saw a typo.
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Insequent
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 50 Mk I
Well, I would lay the blame for the numerous typos at the feet of BoatTest rather than Fleming, but still compliment BoatTest for a comprehensive review.

My dream boat. I think the price is pretty good, but it is outta my reach right now!

My only suggestion would be to make it a hybrid: rather than putting hours on the two MAN's at slow speed, having electric generator/motors on each shaft would be great. Particularly given the high dealer service cost for the engines.
Old 10-23-2017, 06:20 PM   #5
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
For as beautiful and seaworthy as the Flemings are, I don't care if they have a typo or two. Tony pays attention to the build, not the typist.

I'd love to have one of those 58's but, short of winning a lottery it's way beyond my horizons.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #6
Guru

City: kemah
Flemings are awesome machines.
what_barnacles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 02:52 AM   #7
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Next someone will claim that a 5000 h.p. engine at idle is more efficient than an 80.
Old 10-24-2017, 04:51 AM   #8
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by what_barnacles View Post
Flemings are awesome machines.
They'd be even more awesome if they didn't need 800hpx2 and cost near $3mill.

Me, I'll stick with 315hp x 1 and near $3mill in the kitty for stripper poles and those who like to use them.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 06:51 AM   #9
Guru

City: Vermont
No mention what the other boat's length and beam are. That matters in the comparison. Also, fuel burn rates reported from electronic engines are often off by 10-15%.

If the same care went into their fuel burn comparison as went into their writing and proof reading, then I would completely discard the fuel comparison.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:12 AM   #10
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Silly me. I never even noticed there was a written review. I just saw the video and didn't scroll down the page further.

What I noted was how big a deal they made about the SE comparison and how cherry-picked the numbers appeared. Pick a faster-than-most-LR-trawlers-run number for the Fleming and make the SE match it. Then run the SE at WOT...???

And they had typos in the video as well.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:22 AM   #11
Guru

City: Punta Gorda, fl
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37 2002
Skipping the irrelevant typo issue, it is clear to me that when I run my Cummins 330hp between 1200 and 1300 RPM I get to cruise at 7.5 to 7.75 knots. My fuel consumption is minimal compared to running anything north of 1500 RPM. That said. Put one 800hp Engine in that boat and run it at 1300 RPM will be more efficient than two any day of any year. You will lose your ability for the top end speeds but save a Butt Load of annual fuel costs. IMHO. [emoji102][emoji41][emoji102]
Pgitug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:34 AM   #12
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
Silly me. I never even noticed there was a written review. I just saw the video and didn't scroll down the page further.
Silly me. I never even noticed the video. I'm used to scrolling past that crap to read the text.

I must be a dinosaur. It's a good thing I'll be gone by the time reading and writing are totally obsolete.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:42 AM   #13
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgitug View Post
Skipping the irrelevant typo issue, it is clear to me that when I run my Cummins 330hp between 1200 and 1300 RPM I get to cruise at 7.5 to 7.75 knots. My fuel consumption is minimal compared to running anything north of 1500 RPM. That said. Put one 800hp Engine in that boat and run it at 1300 RPM will be more efficient than two any day of any year. You will lose your ability for the top end speeds but save a Butt Load of annual fuel costs. IMHO. [emoji102][emoji41][emoji102]
For those lucky enough to own the F58 in question, one can cover most of the world as the F65 "Venture" has done. Just cut both engines back to achieve 8.5 knots or so. Saving a butt load of fuel is of little interest to most Fleming owners. If it were, they'd buy a Nordhavn. Different strokes.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #14
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
I can see where two is more efficient that one, but pretty much depends on what kind and size of engines are used.

I could argue that pushing any hull requires xxx hp to go xxx speed, and if it's supplied by a single or twins there isn't a huge difference.

However, overall, the single is often a tad better with fuel.

As for the Fleming, gorgeous boat, but I'm not a blue water boater, and for any travel to another country long distance, I'm taking a plane. I'm just a coastal cruiser so smaller is better.

But if I got a big boat, I'd probably look at a small Burger, made in the US over the Fleming.
Old 10-24-2017, 09:32 AM   #15
Guru

City: Seattle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
But if I got a big boat, I'd probably look at a small Burger, made in the US over the Fleming.
I used to own a small Burger of 65ft. It was an older steel model, not aluminum, and I was quite surprised at all the failures in its design, inaccessible places, etc., which lead to corrosion problems. Also noticed similar problems in other steel Burgers that I viewed. So if you're serious then stick with the aluminum models.

Or buy Chinese - they make great boats at much better prices.
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:21 AM   #16
Guru

City: Palm Coast, FL
Vessel Name: Coquina
Vessel Model: Lagoon 380
It's hard to believe the fuel flow is even measured accurately.
3 ways I know of doing this.
1. fuel flow sensor. and all this great news would have been presented by a sensor working its low end of range. "full scale" vs accuracy of readings??
2. Measurement of injector ON time, pulses per second, and fuel rail pressure. Again, is this system calibrated? Its asking the engine manufacturer to tell you its fuel flow, not a independant 3rd party. Hmmmm.
3. Tank usage. There was no time for the magazine to work this technique, arguably the most accurate.

At a 10,000 foot view, there are some "windage" losses in huge engines that are unrecoverable. Two large 8 cyl. running 1200 rpm, I would not expect to beat a single 6 running 1600. And add the shaft losses (even submerged in oil), and blade friction addition of 4 more blades. Hmmm, smells like bad fish to me.
And the big clue is all the spealing misteaks two!
diver dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #17
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
Yea, sloppy to compare twins loafing at 1000 rpm to a little engine tweaked out at 2100. And the hulls are apples and oranges. And the burn rate of the MAN's could be a good bit off down at that low power setting. And the little engine boat burn numbers could also be off.

No doubt that there is more efficiency loss from two engines and two drivelines churning vs a single. If both are optimized, the single will be more efficient.

Also, if you operate any modern diesel in the middle of it's operating envelope, the differences in efficiency are very small. They all burn within 10% of each other for the hp they create. Different boats however, require very different amounts of hp to get same speeds.

Another quibble: The MAN's "have a dry turbo with a water jacket for cooling for better performance and efficiency." Ummm, that's a wet turbo. And dry turbos are more efficient than wet, but plenty risky in boats.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:10 AM   #18
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
You-all are all scream’in and fly in around in the trees like monkeys at someone suggesting a twin be more efficient. There isn’t enough difference to talk about and that difference could go either way. Singles being “more efficient” is more religion that fact or science.

This “single is more efficient” is part religion and part a result of guys forgetting that most twins in our neck of the woods have twice the engine displacement and power. If apples and apples were ever used as a base it would be a twin and a single w the same power. But since that’s a rareity guys slip into think’in singles burn less fuel. When it’s the installed power and has almost nothing to do w singles or twins.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:26 AM   #19

City: Bainbridge Island
Vessel Name: Mahalo
Vessel Model: 2018 Hampton Endurance 658
I'm going with TRIPLE's!

When I'm boating with my single inclined friends, I'll just use the center engine.

People who think in pairs? Just the outer two.

Someone goes by in a speedboat? All three, maxed out. "Eat my trawler wake!"

My boat, "Menage à Trois," settles all arguments!

(and yes, that is the correct spelling for threesome!)
JustBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #20
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Bob,
Make a lot os sense.
However ..... the props will only be right for one configuration. Even w variable pitch props.

Chris Craft offered their 62’ Motor Yacht w three CC flat head 6cyl engines of 160hp. Very big engines for an old gasoline 6. Lots of cast iron.

Probably a marketing tool to offer the boat w in-house engines. Don’t know if there was a diesel option.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote