Looked at some Trawlers yesterday. . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Two things. Thank you Mr. MP for using the correct terminology (saloon) and Mr. Marin..."swagger-around-on-it deck--" Hmmm...I never took you for the swaggering type...A whole new side of you it seems.
smoothswagger.gif

Regarding bay liner:

The 38xx have a reputation of having overheating engines. The 'cure' is to put in larger SW intake thruhulls. If not competently installed they allow core and stringer water absorption. Make sure you have your surveyor check for stringer and bulkhead moisture. I found one for cheap because of this problem.

Cappy

I do not believe that the information in your post is accurate.

The reason I say this is because Bayliner owners have their own forum, called the Bayliner Owners Club. Bayliner Owners Club - Home

I have been involved with that organization for over 15 years, and have moderated the Motoryacht forum for the last decade.

In all that time this is the first I've heard about the specific problem you mentioned. With the thousands of members posting about their boats i am certain The topic would have come up before.

Cappy

The reason I say this is because Bayliner owners have their own forum, called the Bayliner Owners Club. Bayliner Owners Club - Home

I have been involved with that organization for over 15 years, and have moderated the Motoryacht forum for the last decade.

In all that time this is the first I've heard about the specific problem you mentioned. With the thousands of members posting about their boats i am certain The topic would have come up before.

9 Years for me I was asking him the same.

Greetings,
Two things. Thank you Mr. MP for using the correct terminology (saloon) and Mr. Marin..."swagger-around-on-it deck--" Hmmm...I never took you for the swaggering type...A whole new side of you it seems.
smoothswagger.gif

I prefer to saunter or sashay...

I don't think boats in the size you consider can be too big. Those extra few feet add a lot to interior volume living space. Don't forget boats shrink after the first few months of ownership.

That they do! Not to big to live in, honestly I don't think you can have too much living space if it is your home! I'm mostly thinking about costs and ease of handling. For fixed per foot costs, it would be treated as a 49' boat (they count swim decks and pulpits). . .though, I might be overthinking budget stuff. Systems wise, it isn't any different than any other twin engine boat.

My other "too big" concern is ease of handling. I like going out alone for trips. I'm not sure I could get that monster back in it's slip by myself. If nothing else, I can't see the stern of the boat from the fly bridge :rolleyes: How would you back something like that into a slip?

There is also my point of reference. I'm living in a 33 foot Ranger sailboat, just over 2 years. I've recently given up sleeping in the v-berth, and converted the dinette into the double berth and put a twin air mattress on it. since I don't use the v-berth for anything but storage now, I really have only an 11ft X 8ft X 6ft living space :dance: Most of that is built in furniture. . .

So the room in even the GB 36 is shocking! The GS44, is almost unreal. . .it's honestly overwhelming to think about. But, I have been thinking about that boat the most since my visit. . .might make a second trip this weekend to go over her better.

What is the yellow on the bow of the GB.
Is a Chesapeake bow wave that dirty or did that boat sit bow down in some nasty place?

It has a name: "Chesapeake Bay Brown Bow" :facepalm:

Hawgwash-- The brown stain is typically caused by the tanin in the water in some areas. We get it here to a degree in the PNW/BC/SE Alaska. My wife and I just spent this past weekend repainting our bootstripe and compounding and then waxing the hull of our 36' Grand Banks. The boat had some tanin staining on the bow. we remove with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers prior to light compounding and heavy waxing.

Hawgwash-- The brown stain is typically caused by the tanin in the water in some areas. We get it here to a degree in the PNW/BC/SE Alaska. My wife and I just spent this past weekend repainting our bootstripe and compounding and then waxing the hull of our 36' Grand Banks. The boat had some tanin staining on the bow. we remove with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers prior to light compounding and heavy waxing.

Yep...any cleaner containing oxalic acid will work very well on removing that mustache.

Cappy

Unlike Kevin and the other person who posted, I've never owned a Bayliner so I'm completely independent on that subject, but I've followed them a great deal and never found that type problem. Now, if wrecked and then sat underwater for months before salvage and repair, it might be, but generally I've just seen no structural problems with them.

I've always been a fan of the 3888. I had to walk past 3 of them every day to get to my boat and I loved the lines. keep in mind that the lower station is pretty much worthless for close in maneuvering because the sight lines are bad. Also the ladder to the fly bridge is very steep when the boat is under way.
John
MS390

One more thing to consider, however; when you pull into a marina with the Bayliner or President its just one more boat pulling in. When you pull in with the Grand Banks you'll draw a crowd.
John

When you pull in with the Grand Banks you'll draw a crowd.
John

Well, not around here where GBs are a dime a dozen. That's one reason we bought one, despite their not being on our list of "cool" boats. They're everywhere on west coast and used ones are dirt cheap to boot.

You want to draw a crowd in this neighborhood you've got to pull in with something other than a production boat, preferably something made out of wood.:)

You want to draw a crowd in this neighborhood you've got to pull in with something other than a production boat, preferably something made out of wood.:)

Like this one, in Sidney this morning, which I'm betting you know.
El Danato.
A 1960 Ed Monk Sr design built by the current owners father.
55 years in the same family.

An amazing boat and gentleman owner.

Attachments

• 20150818_115257.jpg
    20150818_115257.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 54
Don't know that boat but there is an amazing Shane from lower BC we've seen in the San Juans from time to time. That thing draws a crowd just going by out in the channel....

Don't know that boat but there is an amazing Shane from lower BC we've seen in the San Juans from time to time. That thing draws a crowd just going by out in the channel....

El Danato was built with adz and draw knives in the shop of the owners road building company in Ballard. I love those stories.

Hawgwash-- The brown stain is typically caused by the tanin in the water in some areas. We get it here to a degree in the PNW/BC/SE Alaska.

Marin;
Ahh yes, see it here but just a bit above the waterline. Never knew what it was and have certainly never seen it tracing the bow wave pattern.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom