Old 08-18-2015, 12:17 AM   #21
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
It's not possible for me to not love wide side decks (and solid railings).

Old 08-18-2015, 12:46 AM   #22
Guru

City: Meydenbauer Bay Yacht Club
Vessel Name: Refugio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
People talk about the need for side decks like you cannot dock a boat without them.
I do not find fault in boats with side decks though. I can even see some advantages of them. I just do not see their functionality worth the decreased interior space.
Right, because - like you said - 99.5% of the time you and your guests are inside. But for us, most of the time our guests are outside (and I would be as well if I could run the boat from there). There's maybe 2 times each year - when we have 20+ people aboard - when I wish the saloon were larger. When it's just us - or me by myself - I don't want more space.

But I love our side decks. Not just for docking, though that's handy. And at the locks so we can see each other (we have headsets too). And when we have kids on board they can run around outside spraying each other with water guns. And our dog can patrol the perimeter (she sleeps on the side deck) and look in our portlight to check on us. And I can walk the dinghy around the boat without unsnapping the canvas. And I can go from bow to stern in a rainstorm without tracking through the boat. Or carry a bucket of seawater forward - or anything dirty or awkwardly shaped. Or let guests from rafted boats pass over us without coming inside.

Of course, proper side decks look better too! 😀

Old 08-18-2015, 12:56 AM   #23
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Regarding bay liner:

The 38xx have a reputation of having overheating engines. The 'cure' is to put in larger SW intake thruhulls. If not competently installed they allow core and stringer water absorption. Make sure you have your surveyor check for stringer and bulkhead moisture. I found one for cheap because of this problem.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 01:53 AM   #24
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool beans View Post
What is the yellow on the bow of the GB.
Is a Chesapeake bow wave that dirty or did that boat sit bow down in some nasty place?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:13 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: Laidley
@ Kevin S.

I love the comfy and clean look of the lounge in your Bayliner. It look nice and snug.

Regards.

David.
Manly Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:56 AM   #26
Guru

City: Sidney
[QUOTE=Marin;359517]We like full walkaround decks for several reasons. Some of them have to do with how much more user friendly it makes the boat. QUOTE]

There is a small cove on the coast with eyebolts embedded in the sheer rock face and if the tide isn't too low you can nose right up to them, feed a line through and walk it back to the stern. Couldn't pull that off without side decks.

Everything you and Mark say is bang on for side deck people.
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:54 AM   #27

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Regarding bay liner:

The 38xx have a reputation of having overheating engines. The 'cure' is to put in larger SW intake thruhulls. If not competently installed they allow core and stringer water absorption. Make sure you have your surveyor check for stringer and bulkhead moisture. I found one for cheap because of this problem.

Interesting, I owned one for 6 years prior to my current boat and never ran across that issue and never even heard of that before? Which engines? The Hino's? The best owners forum on the internet is the BOC. Bayliners Owners Club, no cost to join and if it has happened, been fixed, modified or changed on any Bayliner someone on that site can help out.

On another note, before purchasing my current boat, I was very interested in that 79 Gulfstar 44. It has been keep meticulous and when I looked at it a few years ago it had over 4000 hours on the Perkins now she's up over 7000. Strong testament to that boat as a cruising boat and the reliability of those Perkins. Not to mention a hell of a good price. I love the custom Nav station that was built. I have only used my 6 person wraparound dinette a half dozen times in the last 3 years. Damn I may have to take another look at that boat. I've been thinking of putting mine on the market anyway and downsizing slightly.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:23 AM   #28
TF Site Team

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Model: Carver 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forkliftt View Post
Baker- just for the record- that is a President that was listed. Not Present.
Both are fine vessels .

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Dammit!! Thanks for the correction. They both are spelled similarly and were always considered on my list very close to one another. And generally made during the same time. A "deliberate slip" on my part!!...
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #29
Guru

City: Maryland
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Quote:
It's funny...

People talk about the need for side decks like you cannot dock a boat without them.

Right outside my pilothouse door is a cleat. I can take three stps from the helm and be at that cleat, on either side. Out either pilothouse door and I can easily walk forward to manage bow lines as well.

The admrial's station is in the cockpit. That is a full width safe place to handle lines from, and the cool thing is it is near water level, so there is not much downward reaching needed. Although we manage our lines from within the boat, she can step through the transom door and onto the dock if needed.

So, for us we do not even think about side decks because they just are not needed for even storm condiition use.

I do not find fault in boats with side decks though. I can even see some advantages of them. I just do not see their functionality worth the decreased interior space.

You make good points, but... for OPs benefit...

As with other boat topics, there are likely more facets to an issue like this; don't think it's simply a question of "Sidedecks: To be or not to be?"

You have a pilothouse door. Many boats don't.

I those that don't, it's not easy to deploy a spring line on a midships cleat from the cockpit, so sidedecks become useful in that kind of boat.

And so forth. For new shopers, probably useful to consider the whole package, not just one of several related features.

I'd like better sidedecks, myself. AND a lower helm. AND a door from lower helm to sidedecks. Wifey preferred slightly beamier interior. Our current boat is a compromise: accessible sidedecks, but nothing like a GB, etc.

-Chris
Old 08-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #30
Guru

City: gulf coast
I don't think boats in the size you consider can be too big. Those extra few feet add a lot to interior volume living space. Don't forget boats shrink after the first few months of ownership.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:48 AM   #31
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Two things. Thank you Mr. MP for using the correct terminology (saloon) and Mr. Marin..."swagger-around-on-it deck--" Hmmm...I never took you for the swaggering type...A whole new side of you it seems.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:07 AM   #32
TF Site Team

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: LISAS WAY
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Regarding bay liner:

Cappy

I do not believe that the information in your post is accurate.

The reason I say this is because Bayliner owners have their own forum, called the Bayliner Owners Club. Bayliner Owners Club - Home

I have been involved with that organization for over 15 years, and have moderated the Motoryacht forum for the last decade.

In all that time this is the first I've heard about the specific problem you mentioned. With the thousands of members posting about their boats i am certain The topic would have come up before.
www.mvlisasway.com
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:11 AM   #33

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
Quote:
Cappy

The reason I say this is because Bayliner owners have their own forum, called the Bayliner Owners Club. Bayliner Owners Club - Home

I have been involved with that organization for over 15 years, and have moderated the Motoryacht forum for the last decade.

In all that time this is the first I've heard about the specific problem you mentioned. With the thousands of members posting about their boats i am certain The topic would have come up before.
9 Years for me I was asking him the same.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:15 PM   #34
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Two things. Thank you Mr. MP for using the correct terminology (saloon) and Mr. Marin..."swagger-around-on-it deck--" Hmmm...I never took you for the swaggering type...A whole new side of you it seems.
I prefer to saunter or sashay...
Old 08-18-2015, 01:02 PM   #35

City: Norfolk, VA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
I don't think boats in the size you consider can be too big. Those extra few feet add a lot to interior volume living space. Don't forget boats shrink after the first few months of ownership.
That they do! Not to big to live in, honestly I don't think you can have too much living space if it is your home! I'm mostly thinking about costs and ease of handling. For fixed per foot costs, it would be treated as a 49' boat (they count swim decks and pulpits). . .though, I might be overthinking budget stuff. Systems wise, it isn't any different than any other twin engine boat.

My other "too big" concern is ease of handling. I like going out alone for trips. I'm not sure I could get that monster back in it's slip by myself. If nothing else, I can't see the stern of the boat from the fly bridge How would you back something like that into a slip?

There is also my point of reference. I'm living in a 33 foot Ranger sailboat, just over 2 years. I've recently given up sleeping in the v-berth, and converted the dinette into the double berth and put a twin air mattress on it. since I don't use the v-berth for anything but storage now, I really have only an 11ft X 8ft X 6ft living space Most of that is built in furniture. . .

So the room in even the GB 36 is shocking! The GS44, is almost unreal. . .it's honestly overwhelming to think about. But, I have been thinking about that boat the most since my visit. . .might make a second trip this weekend to go over her better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawgwash View Post
What is the yellow on the bow of the GB.
Is a Chesapeake bow wave that dirty or did that boat sit bow down in some nasty place?
It has a name: "Chesapeake Bay Brown Bow"
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 02:55 PM   #36
Scraping Paint

City: -
Hawgwash-- The brown stain is typically caused by the tanin in the water in some areas. We get it here to a degree in the PNW/BC/SE Alaska. My wife and I just spent this past weekend repainting our bootstripe and compounding and then waxing the hull of our 36' Grand Banks. The boat had some tanin staining on the bow. we remove with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers prior to light compounding and heavy waxing.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 03:12 PM   #37
TF Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Hawgwash-- The brown stain is typically caused by the tanin in the water in some areas. We get it here to a degree in the PNW/BC/SE Alaska. My wife and I just spent this past weekend repainting our bootstripe and compounding and then waxing the hull of our 36' Grand Banks. The boat had some tanin staining on the bow. we remove with Mr. Clean Magic Erasers prior to light compounding and heavy waxing.
Yep...any cleaner containing oxalic acid will work very well on removing that mustache.
Old 08-18-2015, 03:55 PM   #38
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Cappy

Unlike Kevin and the other person who posted, I've never owned a Bayliner so I'm completely independent on that subject, but I've followed them a great deal and never found that type problem. Now, if wrecked and then sat underwater for months before salvage and repair, it might be, but generally I've just seen no structural problems with them.
BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:33 PM   #39

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
I've always been a fan of the 3888. I had to walk past 3 of them every day to get to my boat and I loved the lines. keep in mind that the lower station is pretty much worthless for close in maneuvering because the sight lines are bad. Also the ladder to the fly bridge is very steep when the boat is under way.
John
MS390
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #40

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
One more thing to consider, however; when you pull into a marina with the Bayliner or President its just one more boat pulling in. When you pull in with the Grand Banks you'll draw a crowd.
John

johnma is offline   Reply With Quote