Old 10-29-2013, 07:39 AM   #41
Guru

City: somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post

H

TY for price info on da biggies. Sounds like “Galaxy Girl” had better wait a couple years till she buys a biggie... if she ever will at all?? I stopped posting or even reading her threads months ago... Reminds me of a kid at ice cream counter that can't decide on what flavor ice cream to order and simply will not listen to reason by elders. Don, of “Moonstruck” backed away about same time as me. When she starts a thread there are others who still give her the redundant suggestions over and again. She should read your post quoted here and simply wait till prices at least approach the bottom.

Best luck with your present play toy and the eventual build-out of your Fleming!

Ciao, Art
I think it's funny that she is now MIA...

Old 10-30-2013, 06:14 AM   #42
FF
Guru

>I think it's funny that she is now MIA...<

In a few years she may finally be able to save that $5,000 for her boat reward.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:50 AM   #43

City: Jacksonville, FL
Vessel Name: Amar la Vida
Vessel Model: 1989 Carver Californian 48' MY
I do agree about the centerline fuel tanks. There are two between the mid-berth stateroom and Master and one under the Master underneath the water tank. When I purchased mine (which was a REPO) I had the tanks pressure tested and they were bad. There is an interconnect between the 2 that corrodes. The under-berth tank is 160 gallons and the fwd aft tank is 200 gallons. I made the condition that the bank replace the tanks. They countered with one tank replacement. I agreed as I felt an additional 200 gallons was not necessary for my needs. The boat many other items and new upgrades that made my decision to pursue the sale. As far as the small boat wakes affecting the boat and "that it is top heavy" is absolutely false.

I have had the boat for 2 years now and figured it would take me 40k to get her where I wanted her to be, she is mechanically sound and 99% percent of what I have done so far is cosmetic. The only mechanical items I have done are oil changes, impellors, new AGM 8d batteries and a few hoses and the compensator tank for the freshwater system. As far as my budget of 40k. I am only at 25% of my figure and I am down to new carpet and wood floors in the galley, some more varnishing, new faucets through out the boat as they are pitted and I want shiny new chrome and maybe granite countertops in the galley and heads.
knotheadcharters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 07:02 AM   #44

City: Green Cove Springs, Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
With water in the ER check the stringers VERY Carefully. If they are wood core and water got in the stringer(s) may be toast! I've seen that happen to several boats. Stringers can cost price of boat to repair once rotten. And, strong stringers are a MUST!

Just be careful and walk away if needed... another boat for you is around the corner!

The Carver built models I have surveyed have molded fiberglass stringers. I think the west coast builds are fiberglassed wood.
bglad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #45
Guru

City: Cleveland
Vessel Name: Irishland
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Corinthian 380
"As far as the small boat wakes affecting the boat and "that it is top heavy" is absolutely false. "

True to a point, but is comes down to the model of Carver and how the Fly Bridge is loaded on some models. To me this is Top Heavy!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carver 506 Motor Yacht.pdf (487.2 KB, 70 views)
hfoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:37 AM   #46

Hfoster, I agree that the 506 model as being top heavy but we are not talking about the 506. We are talking about the late 80's 48 foot Californians. Completely different boats.
Old 11-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #47
Guru

Knot.

Once again I will state it all comes down to the model of Carver when it comes to Top Heavy issue. Case in point!

1989 48' Carver Californian | Boat Sale Market

Some models are a little better the others my Friend!

Happy cruising.

H. Foster
Attached Thumbnails
1989-48-carver-californian--1.jpg  
Old 11-02-2013, 12:40 PM   #48

HA HA Wow I stand corrected. This is obviously a custom job but point taken.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:16 PM   #49
Guru

Knot.

No Worries my friend... And No it is not a custom job. This is just add ons from Carver. Hard top, encloser and aft hard top and so forth. The point is, Carver by adding these items makes the vessel more top heavy and at slower speeds they rock more due to the upper load.

Just look at it this way. The side walk arounds are about 7" per side in most cases. That in return only gives you a bottom with of 14" wider than top upper deck. The more weight that is packed on the upper deck the more top heavy it becomes.

My numbers are not 100% but it gives you some idea of what I am saying.

Happy cruising my friend.

H. Foster
Old 11-02-2013, 06:25 PM   #50
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
without a stability test...looks/pictures don't mean a thing.....

just a guess...maybe a good guess...but a guess none the less....
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
without a stability test...looks/pictures don't mean a thing.....

just a guess...maybe a good guess...but a guess none the less....

True, look at the new cruise ships.
Old 11-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #52
Guru

Great point on stability test, but common sense also comes into play here. You take a vessel that seems top heavy or is top heavy to a degree, than you look at the hull and see there are no stabilizers on it odds are she is going to rock and roll at lower speeds with waves and wakes.

I have seen and been on many Carvers, of many different sizes, and I have never seen stabilizer on any of them. Not to say someone somewhere has not placed stabilizers on a Carver.

Keep in mind, Carvers are a planning vessel. Their stability comes from planning up out of the water. The debate is. “Carvers rock greatly at lower speeds from wakes from smaller vessels and waves because they are top heavy.”

Cruise ships are top heavy, and a great deal of them have stabilizers and they are kicking out some knots while under way. If you have been on a cruise ship in rough seas, you would know just how badly they pitch and roll due to their upper load. In fact, I just seen a story about how top heavy cruise ships are becoming and their size are becoming that of Air craft carriers which is making them unsafe.

But that is a whole other debate. We are not talking about cruise ships we are talking about late 80s Carvers!

I do enjoy us kicking this issue around, because it adds insight to someone like Ebach looking at buying a Carver and that is what this forum is for.

Happy cruising.
H. Foster.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #53
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 10:44 AM   #54
Guru

City: somewhere
Nice clean bottom!
Old 11-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #55
Guru

Great video Art. Thanks for the post.

Now just think if that cruise ship was like some of these really top heavy stack ships that they have out there? My God I would not what to think what would happen to it and the people on it.

Happy cruising.

H. Foster
Old 11-03-2013, 11:05 AM   #56
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Those fifty-foot waves coming from the beam spilled my cereal and milk on my lap. A good-sized wake would do the same on the Coot.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #57
Guru

Beach Bum.

That is one heck of a way to see if the bottom is clean or not! LOL
Old 11-03-2013, 11:13 AM   #58
Guru

Markpierce.

Agree 100%. Those mid beam waves stirkes of any size are the worst for any vessel.

Sorry to here about the cereal and milk. What were you eating? Capt. Crunch?

Happy cruising

H. Foster
Old 11-03-2013, 11:35 AM   #59
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfoster View Post

Sorry to here about the cereal and milk. What were you eating? Capt. Crunch?

Happy cruising

H. Foster
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #60
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Five years ago I had our Tolly a bit outside GGB... in what's named the "Potato Patch" around here. Can get pretty darn rough in that area under some tide and swells/wind conditions.

Anyway - there were four of us aboard and up on the bridge as we passed through. Well... I was cruising on a slow plane (about 14 knots) and although our Tolly does have good stability and low COG due to deep in bilge twin engines and tanks she is a bit top heavy being tri cabin design. With conflicting beam seas she can list pretty well during a steep roll.

So... although I was having a fun time taking her through I suddenly realized one fellow had gone white as a sheet! Not green mind ya, like sea sick, but rather pale white, like scared shitless. After we were in calmer seas and not a word had come for some time from this usually chatty guy... there was a gentle tap on my shoulder. Wherein he asked, "How far can this boat lean before it tips over?" And I replied (meant as a joke), "It seems a lot further than you can go before you pass out." He was not amused. But he got over it!

As is often mentioned: Most boats can take more than passengers’ can handle!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote