Look Ma, no microwave!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greetings,
Mr. BrB. Nice looking meal. I'm sure just one of the thousands to follow.

Like most anything in one's galley, a microwave oven is simply another tool to be used or misused as one sees fit.

Any chef, cook or entertainer knows timing is everything. On board, that one extra heating/cooking device (microwave oven) allows me a better opportunity to "plate and present" a nicely turned out repast with all the ingredients at optimum temperature given limited counter, stovetop and oven space. Vegetable steaming comes immediately to mind.

Yes, we still have that Amana Radar Range sitting on the kitchen counter at home. Best I can figure, it's going on 37 years old now, made back when magnetron was spelt with a capital M!

After examining photo 3&4 I'm disappointed for you to tell us it is chicken breast. I thought that must be lapin.

Still, years later, we laugh about a family dinner at our house with my mother. "Best chicken I've had in years." she said. Then pushed her plate away and didn't eat another bite after we told her it was rabbit. She was raised on a farm during the depression so I'm surprised by her reaction.

I have a suggestion for heating water for tea, oatmeal, etc: an electric tea kettle.
Our electric kettle is 2000watts, it keeps the genset amused for a couple of minutes before we make tea. Useful onboard as well as at home.

Greetings,
Mr. BrB. Nice looking meal. I'm sure just one of the thousands to follow.

Like most anything in one's galley, a microwave oven is simply another tool to be used or misused as one sees fit.

Any chef, cook or entertainer knows timing is everything. On board, that one extra heating/cooking device (microwave oven) allows me a better opportunity to "plate and present" a nicely turned out repast with all the ingredients at optimum temperature given limited counter, stovetop and oven space. Vegetable steaming comes immediately to mind.

Yes, we still have that Amana Radar Range sitting on the kitchen counter at home. Best I can figure, it's going on 37 years old now, made back when magnetron was spelt with a capital M!

My family had one f those Amana Radar Ranges. It had to predate yours to somewhere in the mid 1970's.
It lasted for a lot of years and got a lot of use.
I actually have nothing against microwave ovens. It is just nothing we use when cooking. We all adapt to what we have...
Bruce

Correction to my post, Mr. RT - "Radar Range" is (was) the proper nomenclature. At the time, as a former radar tech, I was quite impressed that the box held a "maggie."

OK, I gotta ask....after looking at picture #3, is someone on the dock missing their boat kitty?

We have a convection microwave on board and my wife makes some GREAT meals using it.

RE: Microwave popcorn? You gotta try Costco's microwave popcorn. It's very good.

Back
Top Bottom