TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano37 View Post
Hi Hfoster, thanks for the reply!
The boat should be used. I and my wife and I will use the boat to live aboard.
I was considering a sailboat but the comfort aspect is poor.
I would like a boat to go to anywhere, hi latitude and low latitude.
Grateful
Luciano
Don't worry Luciano, you English would be way better than our Spanish.
Looking at what you want to do, maybe you should add one of these to the "must look at" list...?

Finding the Perfect Duck | mvmoken

And Don McIntyre's 'Ice' version was still for sale last I heard.....
http://zhousuijuan.s107.991idc.com/
ICE McIntyre 50 Motor Sailer Boat News, Review & Advice - boatpoint.com.au

Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:00 AM   #22
FF
Guru

I would guess Luciano37's Portugese is way better than his Spanish as he is from Brazil.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #23
Guru

City: Fort Myers - FL
Vessel Name: ORIGINAL
Vessel Model: Hi Star 55
Luciano, eu ja comprei o meu trawler que fica em Fort Lauderdale. Posso te dar algumas dicas ou ajudar. De onde vc ť? Mora no Brasil?

Sergio "Alemao" Sztancsa, Sent from my iPhone using Trawler
Alemao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:34 AM   #24
Guru

I'm sorry folks, I'll use a privet message next time. I'm from Brazil too and I'll help him.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #25
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Ok, so you guys spotted the deliberate mistake eh....?
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:24 AM   #26
Guru

Don't let size fool you either. I looked at a friend's 49' Defever (older hard chine version) and thought how great of a cruising boat it must be. I was so wrong, it amazed me. My background is with commercial fishing/oilfield boats and I was shocked to say the least when I experienced 1st hand how tender this "monster" personal boat was. I was at the helm and caught by surprise by a series of true 3' waves hitting broadside. It was much more violent than I expected and we were in the pilothouse, I looked at my wife and said think if we were on the flybridge?! We've since seen how differently even a 42' Kadey Krogen handles similar or larger waves, it is now our dreamboat and measure of "seaworthyness". Both had NO active or passive stabilizers. Dreamboat or not $$$$-wise indicates we'll likely end up with a nice sized shallow draft motorsailer to achieve that level of comfort.
twiisted71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #27
FF
Guru

we'll likely end up with a nice sized shallow draft motorsailer to achieve that level of comfort.

A simple ROT, rule of thumb, is IF a boats draft is 1/7 the LWL the boat will be able to make good windward progress in the ocean with no centerboard.

The old definition of a Motorsailor was with large enough sail area to actually beat off the proverbial windward shore.

ROT for sail size in the Archives.

FF
Old 12-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #28
Guru

FF while I find the silence of sailing mesmerizing, I'm a motorboater, and have spoken with enough folks with Morgan O/Is and Gulfstars to know to not even bother trying to make headway by sail to windward in these pigs. I have never been aboard either underway though. They just appear to have a hull design similar to the ocean going trawlers, and are generally cheaper by amounts that would make buying a similarly capable trawler financial suicidal. My money has to buy function before frilly, and slowly fit out to our preferences, while using our boat as opposed to saving for a lifetime for that "gold watch" when time no longer concerns. I always found that to be a truly dumb-assed retirement gift, the mother of all oxymorons in my eyes. Of course I've never been the 9-5 5 day a week guy. Everyone places different priority to different things based on their own experiences.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #29

City: Curitiba
Hi Peter....Brasil speak portugues....a bit more dificult to learn then spanish!!!
I will read the Moken s blogg.

Thank you!
Luciano37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #30
Guru

City: Salvador - BA
Vessel Name: Rainha Jannota
Vessel Model: Curruira 46
Send a message via MSN to Portuguese
Luciano

Voce ja viu o meu barco?
Flickr: Rainha Jannota's Photostream
Portuguese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #31
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
Bemvindo Luciano, your plans sound very good!
Do you know these people and their website? It is very interesting they may have some advice also.
www.projetojade.com

Best of luck to you
Steve W
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:39 AM   #32
Guru

Portuguese

Sei barco foi feito no Brasil? Que tamanho tem? Muito bom

Old 12-24-2012, 06:20 AM   #33
FF
Guru

with Morgan O/Is and Gulfstars to know to not even bother trying to make headway by sail to windward in these pigs.

These are examples of dock condos , created similar to many TT.Volume was the design goal.

Ocean was never part of the design concept , nor windward sailing.

Great for living aboard and going to a protected anchorage on a very nice day, or cruising protected waters like the ICW.

A real motor sailor is a far more capable vessel than either of these condos with masts..

Just as a Nordhaven is able to leave the dock while a TT will be looking to double the lines and add fenders.

While the silence of sail is an attraction for some , the unlimited range , as well as a higher assured passage speed is the attraction for others.

A motor boat has to be very special for 4000mn range , no big deal with sails.And no $12.00 an hour fuel bill.

The downside to a MS is that much of the vessels living space is below deck.

The big window ocean view is reserved usually for only the pilot house , not a couple of decks worth.

One interesting aspect of a MS is thaht low power gives good speed.

Just as a trawler would not be operated at WOT for a cruise , the use of poorer sail configurations gives good results.

While the "racers" will be lining the rail looking for the last .0001 a cruiser will unroll a mainsail , and a window shade jib and at 75% of the sail area do just fine on a passage. Some are electrically furled for the lazier folks.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #34
Guru

Just saw a boat company on the Discovery channel y-day, of interest. All Ocean Yachts. They are built like very well fitted out small, personal, battleships. They mentioned that their design qualification was handling a 75' rogue wave! Quite a bar to make a boat to, to say the least!!! They aren't gizmo crazy either, like some boats seem to be (if you can't dazzle with brilliance, baffle with bullshi* mentality). I really liked the owner/designers showing that they make their keel out of an I beam that weighs 110#/foot. and then they box that with 3/8" steel, as all underwater hull is! I'm not necessarily a fan of personal boats made of steel (too much time with a needle gun early on), but they also showed their finish techniques, wow is the only word, yet still inadequate to show how it impressed me. It takes a lot to make me sit up and take notice manufacturing, details as everything is built to a price point today. Being owner/designer/builders really shows in the huge satisfaction and pride with the boat quality they turn out. I found my "Lottery boat" y-day.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:53 AM   #35
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiisted71 View Post
Just saw a boat company on the Discovery channel y-day, of interest. All Ocean Yachts. They are built like very well fitted out small, personal, battleships.
Are you sure they have built one?
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 03:24 PM   #36
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickB View Post
Are you sure they have built one?
, made 2 mistakes.

It was the travel channel and the company is All Seas (not Ocean). For some reason the online videos of the show stop with the computer generated line matrix views. The tv program continued on showing laying the hull, house, the fact that the son writes all the codes for the proprietary electronic stuff that can be viewed on the boat's monitors, the way they combat rust, etc, etc.

Hell I'd like to get one of their old commercial boats and convert. Much more likely than ever affording one of their ready to go yachts

Here's a link, but like I said its cut short.
http://www.travelchannel.com/video/allseas-yachts