Old 01-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #21
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
RE: Logs

Maintenance log: all fuel, filter changes, oil changes, significant other items.
Computer tracking keeps a record of where we have been and when. This is sometimes interesting to look at. Photos kept on the computer record who we were with, significant events, great scenery. These get backed up on several computers.
We used to keep a more detailed trip log, but found no interest in reviewing it, so discontinued the practice.
My Dad (90), often reminds me of events, places, no of nights per yr, and other arcane things he finds in his old logs, which he kept in considerable detail in the days before computer logs.

koliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: -
Logs

Quote:
rwidman wrote:

The PO kept a log and I expected at least the maintenance part would come with the boat. It did not.
We did not get any logs or maintenance records other than the project description and final receipt for the new fuel tanks and plumbing the PO had had installed the year before we bought the boat. But one thing that has been very helpful is there is an owners or opertational manual on board for every single thing on the boat.* Elecronics, stove, even the shower discharge pump.* The boat also came with its original 1973 American Marine GB36 operators manual and the original engine operation, service, and parts manuals.* All have come in very handy over the years, and as we have upgraded systems and equipment we have continued the practice of keeping every manual---even if it's just a pamphlet--- on the boat in a set of 3-ring binders.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 26th of January 2012 01:06:33 PM

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC

I keep a wish list and gotta-do list on a MS Word document that itemizes upcoming mods, upgrades, repairs, inspections due, etc.* The items are prioritized in groups.* This becomes my worklist of tasks and tinkering to complete when I'm in the mood.* When I head to the boat to work on it, I review the list to plan my day and make sure I have the tools, parts*and supplies I need.

I also keep a spiral bound notebook*to record all completed servicing (fuel, oil, coolant, battery, tranny and filters), scheduled and unscheduled maintenance, modifications, upgrades and repairs.* I record the date and hour meter readings with all items.* Fuel prices and quantities, hours since last refueling, and average efficiency (GPH) are also documented.*

When we take long trips, we keep a running progress report with start/stop times and key checkpoints enroute.* We keep the sheet until we return home, then discard the notes.* Any mechanical issues encountered during the trip get recorded on the Word list.

FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 03:07 AM   #24
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B

Marin wrote...

But one thing that has been very helpful is there is an owners or opertational manual on board for every single thing on the boat.* Elecronics, stove, even the shower discharge pump.* The boat also came with its original 1973 American Marine GB36 operators manual and the original engine operation, service, and parts manuals.

Yes, we got those with the boat, and I have found them very useful, especially as the only one we didn't get was the cassette/radio manual, and guess who blew it up trying to guess how to wire it for channel memory during power off.* Even more annoying when I later found I could have got the manual off the internet - if I had thought to look.* ( I was only one wire wrong, dammit)* Have a DVD/radio now anyway and it's better - who uses cassettes these days anyway...?* Won't be fooled again.* As to the daily log - I guess I must just be slack...
Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:05 AM   #25
FF
Guru

Just like the Navy , we keep both a rough and smooth log.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #26
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC

Has anyone tried putting*your maintenance/ships log on an iPad or tablet?* KJ
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #27

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390

I keep a trip and maintenance log in different sections of the same book. all reciepts from trips, fuel, parts, etc get stapled in the book on the proper page. This habit all comes from my work life. Last year i got a nasty note from the IRS calling me in for an audit of my 2007 through 2009 returns. they wanted to nail me for business use of my car as well as meals, hotels, etc. i walked in with a notebook from each year showing start and stop milages each day, where I went, who I met with, etc. they looked at the first six months of 2007, flipped to December, looked at that and said I could leave without even looking at 2008 & 2009. They said they never saw record keeping so complete. I thought it was sloppy, but they liked that fact as they could see it was real and written in real time.
You never know when complete record keeping will get you out of a jam.
John
Dreamers Holiday
2003 MS 390
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:00 PM   #28
Guru

City: PNW
Vessel Model: 1976 Californian Tricabin LRC
Logs

I finally developed a seperate book from the*trip log book,* The second book is my Information Book*(three ring binder) it's two parts:
<ul>[*]Boat registration, insurance binder,*Microfor Sanitation System Coast Guard certificate, State Boater Education Certificate, etc. all in plastic sheet liners.*[*]Maintenance and inspection logs divided into sections, General Maintenance,*Safety equipment inspections;*(Fire extinguishers,*flares and flare gun,*first aid*kit, and life preservers.)[/list]When you need it, all documenation in one place.

Larry B

-- Edited by Edelweiss on Saturday 28th of January 2012 12:01:13 AM
Edelweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 04:33 AM   #29
Veteran Member

City: 3rd world
Vessel Model: still looking but in UK.

We will be new to Trawler cruising in the USA later*this year but have kept logs for the 40 years on sailboats beforehand.* These started as simple navigational logs, in the days before such things as GPS, Decca or Loran and were pretty limited on general information.*

Then later we discovered how useful a narrative log was to keep.* Our narrative logs contain all the stuff that has gone on, where we were, what we did, what we might do next time, what restaurant we used (even kept the business cards and stuck the bills in the log, mind these were not your McDs but fine dining places in Europe).* We would also stick in pictures and tourist postcards, keeping one page of each duo for written word and the other for pictures etc.*

There was a third 'deck' log too which was the rough one used to write up the navigational log and which didn't matter too much if it got wet or ketchup dripped on it.* The current one I made up on a spreadsheet and print off when required, I've already modified the saily one layout*for the donk donk one.

Then I discovered OpenCPN program*and the latest version 2.6*has provision for an automatic logbook as an add-on.* There are two logbooks available, I have both but the 'Konni' one really is excellent.* It automatically completes at pre-chosen intervals depending on what data is fed to the laptop in addition to the GPS, so apart from all the GPS info (like SOG, COG,*BTW, DTW. etc) it can also pick up engine hours, depths, boatspeed, windspeeds etc if these instruments are linked.* It has separate sections for maintenance logs and crew lists.* The whole thing can be customised with your boat name, pictures, and the layout adjusted for personal preferences.* All this is a FREE download to the FREE OpenCPN!*

So we will start again on our new boat with the written*deck log, the navigational one will be delegated to Konni and OpenCPN and this will also be kept up as a maintenance log.* The narrative log will still be a ruled book as before, with one page kept of every pair for pictures and special notes, receipts etc.

The big question is do we bring all our old sailboat logs with us across the pond, give them to friends cruising our old areas or what!
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 12:21 AM   #30
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Logs

They are priceless memories, but really important only to you, so store them in a safe place. Even I would keep that sort of log if I was sailing anywhere more exotic than round and round in the same, rather large bay, we at present frequent.

(Moreton Bay, Brisbane, Queensland Australia, seeing you are quite new - sorry. let me amend that to, 'an infrequent poster', as I see you joined in 2008).

-- Edited by Peter B on Sunday 29th of January 2012 01:23:39 AM
Peter B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:04 AM   #31

City: Poulsbo, WA
Vessel Name: M/V Knot Knormal
Vessel Model: President 41

I tried keeping separate deck and maintenance logs but I just don't think that way. So we keep on log with everything in it. I could not find a log that really fit so I made a form in MS Word using a table and then print blank paged for the binder. I had write information (engine hours at shutdown, fuel use computations, actual fuel fills and prices, maintenance, etc) and then periodically type it in the 'puter. I can later strip out the non-maintenance stuff if I need to.

Marty............................
MartySchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 05:47 AM   #32
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC

Quote:
Marin wrote:rwidman wrote:

The PO kept a log and I expected at least the maintenance part would come with the boat. It did not.
We did not get any logs or maintenance records other than the project description and final receipt for the new fuel tanks and plumbing the PO had had installed the year before we bought the boat. But one thing that has been very helpful is there is an owners or opertational manual on board for every single thing on the boat.* Elecronics, stove, even the shower discharge pump.* The boat also came with its original 1973 American Marine GB36 operators manual and the original engine operation, service, and parts manuals.* All have come in very handy over the years, and as we have upgraded systems and equipment we have continued the practice of keeping every manual---even if it's just a pamphlet--- on the boat in a set of 3-ring binders.

-- Edited by Marin on Thursday 26th of January 2012 01:06:33 PM

I did get the original manuals, installation instructions, etc. for all the equipment on the boat including the original owners manual.

rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 06:46 PM   #33
Scraping Paint

City: -

Quote:
KJ wrote:
Has anyone tried putting*your maintenance/ships log on an iPad or tablet?* KJ
*No.* But what we do have is a list on the computer of where everything is on the boat.* In other words, be it a can opener or a spare Lehman water pump, it is on a list my wife created spelling out exactly where it's stowed on the boat.* The list can be accessed either by item or by compartment and she updates it periodically.

Right now it's on our computer at home--- we keep a hard copy on the boat.* But we get our iPad3 in March or whenever it comes out, we'll put*her list*on that too as we will be taking that to the boat every time we go up where we rarely bother to take the laptop up there.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote