Log Book

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After using a variety of them, we too settled on the Evergreen Pacific. Not just a trip log but also maintenance log and other information.

A lot of the time, I supplemented it by pencilling in time, date, course and speed on the chart; in subsequent years I have found the combination to be really nice in reliving or re-planning our trips.

I agree with using the Evergreen Pacific log books. I am on my third one, and record everything from fuel purchases and maintenance, to engine and genny hours, distances traveled, sea conditions and fish caught. I add water temperature and watermaker hours on the top of the page. These books are very useful for checking where and when I have anchored in the past. When I sold my last two boats I photographed each page of those log books and now have them on my iPad to refer to.

Cheers, Bill

Buncha Luddites.

FYI, my phone went for a swim the first day of a week-long cruise. My hard-copy Evergreen Pacific log book, however, worked just fine the whole trip.

I suppose you could buy (or write) an app which saved to the cloud real-time. But then you'd have to cruise only where there's a good cell phone signal.

Maybe some day...

FYI, my phone went for a swim the first day of a week-long cruise. My hard-copy Evergreen Pacific log book, however, worked just fine the whole trip.

I suppose you could buy (or write) an app which saved to the cloud real-time. But then you'd have to cruise only where there's a good cell phone signal.

Maybe some day...

Ah yes, the technological miracle of pen and paper: direct sunlight visible, pages update/upload to screen instantly, fast searching, can be dropped on any hard surface from any height, needs no power, uses no bandwidth, network independent, universally intuitive user interface.

When cruising, we had a laptop, a desktop (both with charting and GPS) , three smart phones, a redundant CPU networked Furuno black box system and all kinds of other gizmos. I'm a techy type by breeding and career. So, hardly Luddites, just liked having the best tools for any particular job.

Thanks to this thread, I bought an Evergreen Log Book. Used it for the first time this weekend. It fits my uses and needs very well.

I also have a commercial electronic maintenance app, Ship Shape Pro. It works well other than being horrendously non-intuitive. It works well for maintenance tracking.

Pen and paper solutions are fine with me where appropriate. I also am very happy with electronic solutions where appropriate. Of course, I also have, and use, paper charts.

I am looking to get something a little better then what I am doing. Right now I am just using a note book to record our trips, looking for something to record day trips and future long distance trips. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Rich

Rich,

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you what I use on MS Word.

Rich,

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you what I use on MS Word.
PM sent, ignore the fact that I addressed you as Rich. I am on the beach right now baking in the sun. I need a drink.

Thanks to this thread, I bought an Evergreen Log Book. Used it for the first time this weekend. It fits my uses and needs very well...

Pen and paper solutions are fine with me where appropriate. I also am very happy with electronic solutions where appropriate. Of course, I also have, and use, paper charts.

To expand on that thought... I also scan in my log books. I did all the old ones over one winter, and update the current one after filling in a few new pages. I have a scanner app on the phone (well, I did until it went swimming) that works great, and I just append the new pages to the existing pdf file.

Sort of gives me the best of both worlds - paper and electronic.

That gives me a good idea for my next boat's name...should I make it "M/V Buncha Luddites"?

But only if you put the 'M/V' part on the transom.

We have a detailed Excel sheet for Trip Details, Fuel Management, Maintenance, Even defrosting the fridge and freezer.

We use Nebo for automated trip logging and its great. They provide exports with the complete details that we then save in a trip log folder.

https://nebo.global/

As noted in several posts, we formatted an Excel log to fit our needs but print it and fill in as a hard copy. At sea an entry seems easier with a pencil vs a keyboard. Several advantages:

> create custom formats to meet your needs compared to fixed format of commercial logs. Excel is very flexible and, if you have some experience, can lay out most any type of table.
> easily modified. If you find that some detail is not used, or you would like some other information, it can be changed in a few minutes.
> possible to include boat specific information on every page - registration no, call sign, telephone numbers, ....
> economical compared to commercial versions

We formatted two pages, have them printed in book format, so a single entry extends across two pages, and have them spiral bound at an office supply store. Once a year we scan them to electronic files.

We also maintain other Excel sheets:

> maintenance log including inventories of critical spares and follow up tasks triggered by date or engine hours.
> detailed “to do” list keyed by system, priority, cost estimate and benefit.

Excel data is easily sortable to determine where we should be spending time and money. We had a fairly extensive pre-purchase survey so we included a column which references survey recommendations. This helps to continue benefitting from expert opinions and to document completed tasks for insurance purposes.

https://www.greatloop.com/#logbook

You may want to take a look at this one. I used it for the Loop and have continued to use it for daily engine checks, weather, navigation, and other notes through out the day.

I use my iPhone, cloud backup. No problem, always right there in my pocket, on or off the boat.
The iPhone just survived its second swim, my hearing aid did not!

I use my iPhone, cloud backup. No problem, always right there in my pocket, on or off the boat.
The iPhone just survived its second swim, my hearing aid did not!

How, specifically, do you use your iPhone? Do you record data in "Notes" or somewhere else on the phone?

Thanks!

Maybe some day...

Yeah, my phone went into the bilge recently, but my response was to replace it with one that was good to 10 feet underwater.....LOL
I am not a Luddite, have a Masters Degree in Science Ed. But I still prefer paper when it is practical.

I haven't handwritten anything significant in at least 30 years. Signature and occasionally fill in forms, such as doctor's office, that I didn't know about before or I would have scanned them and typed. My wife isn't quite that bad but seldom writes.

Can anyone here who has made a custom form share it somehow please?

If anyone is looking for a cruising log (vs a maint log) I'd suggest checking out Blue Boat Log. It is a free app that also runs on a laptop. I used it extensively documenting our 60+ days, 1,000 mi 2019 cruise and really liked it. The developer was interested in feedback and was very willing to try / add new features based on suggestions & feedback.
There are several plusses I really liked...
Ability to turn on a track at the start of a days cruise, turn it off at the end of the day and it captures your track, miles traveled, time, avg speed, etc.
Ability to add photos linked with each day.
Ability to add as little or much text as you wish for each day.
Ability to combine several days to form a leg or complete cruise.
You can share a URL link with friends and they have the option of checking on your progress, including track and position, as often as THEY choose without me sending anything other than the link.
My Bacchus website, cruising notes, 2019 cruise has links to the pre- cruise planning, as well as the Blue Boat Log links.

We average a modest 1500 NM's each season. First Mate has made and printed loose sheets for a ring binder with the info we use prominent - tides especially - as you can double the trip time by leaving with 6 hours of foul tide.

Maintenance is on separate dedicated sheets, as is improvements and upgrades.

We have them going back 15 years.

Entry is made hourly giving position, COG, SOG, sail trim, engine on/off, wind strength and direction, sea state plus wildlife sightings of significance.

We have never seen so many dolphins as we have this year, plus the Tuna are coming back around the South Coast of the UK.

Not spotted those yet, but hope to!

Found the perfect for me hard copy pen and paper log book! SHIPS LOG by theboatgalley publishers is very comprensive. 166 pages in six sections covering refrenence, logs for cruising, radio, fuel, pump out, fluid changes, parts numbers, maintainence and inventory and more. Found it at the Annapolis show, 33.00. They also have cruising books and admiral found a great cookbook from several choices.

I've never kept a maintenance log or a travel log. Never needed either. I would never go back and look at either. I honestly don't see the point or the benefit.

I simply don't care what the start, end and run times were, sea conditions, fuel burn, etc for a trip from point A to point B 5 years ago. Do you do the same when you're driving the car on a road trip?? Flying to Europe?

I've never kept a maintenance log or a travel log. Never needed either. I would never go back and look at either. I honestly don't see the point or the benefit.

I simply don't care what the start, end and run times were, sea conditions, fuel burn, etc for a trip from point A to point B 5 years ago. Do you do the same when you're driving the car on a road trip?? Flying to Europe?

If well offshore and encountering a total electrical failure, forcing one to get the paper charts out when the plotter is US, knowing where you were an hour ago and what your COG was would be invaluable.

If, however, your boating is all within sight of land and consists of travelling between often visited harbours, not so neccessary. Eyeball pilotage is all that is required.

We look back into our logs frequently. Passages down or across the English Channel at Spring Tides compared to Neap Tides can mean a 3-4 hour difference in passage time. We like to arrive in daylight, so having this information might mean starting in the dark to achieve a daylight arrival.

No guesswork:)

I do not use a log book for flying to Europe or across the US. It is pretty standard stuff.

But when someone asks for information on a boat run - a log book - comprehensive or bare bones gives me something to discuss. I cant remember what I had for dinner the night before but a log helps me talk intelligently about a trip that could be helpful to someone else or for a return trip. I may not take the exact route but I have something to plan from... YMMV

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom