Old 10-28-2016, 10:04 AM   #1
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Locking up or down?

Wifey B: Lonely rivers flow to the sea to the sea? What about the rivers that aren't lonely?

The TN River goes north to the east and north to the west and never the twain shall meet. This all makes me dizzy.

One more lock today and two tomorrow and then no locks for the rest of the year. Well, unless we change our mind.

I think the problem is maps. We're use to looking at maps with north at the top and south at the bottom so think of North as up. I don't know.

And you sure can't go by current all the time as I've seen current going upstream like salmon.

Sorry, but just temporarily directionally disoriented as to up and down. Back in the days of Blood, Sweat and Tears it was believe that what goes up must come down and that sure isn't the case now. I feel like I'm on a spinning wheel but I am not riding a painted pony.

Back to enjoying the beauty around now that we've escaped from the lock. Been a while since I'd seen changing leaves. The TN River is so beautiful right now.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Ms. WB. Been listening to oldies rock stations have we?

Old 10-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #3
Guru

Wifey B: That was me, not him.

I've corrected now so people will think you're crazy, RTF. No, I failed to put Wifey so RTF was correct in saying Mr. BB.

We listen to and sing all types of music.
Old 10-28-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
Enigma

Greetings,
Ms. WB. I've corrected my post so now people will think YOU'RE crazy!!!

Old 10-28-2016, 11:17 AM   #5
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Ms. WB. I've corrected my post so now people will think YOU'RE crazy!!!
Wifey B: I think people know the truth, RTF. WE'RE BOTH CRAZY
Old 10-28-2016, 01:35 PM   #6
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I think people know the truth, RTF. WE'RE BOTH CRAZY
You don't HAVE to be crazy to own a boat, but it sure helps!!
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 03:54 PM   #7
Guru

City: UMR MM283
Vessel Name: Northern Lights II
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
You don't HAVE to be crazy to own a boat, but it sure helps!!

Not caring that other people think I'am crazy really helps;-)
Old 10-28-2016, 04:02 PM   #8

City: Memphis
Vessel Name: Ivory Lady
Vessel Model: 46 Jefferson
Where are you guys headed now? I spent several years on Kentucky Lake and have made the run from Nashville. Really a pretty area.
clynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 04:36 PM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by clynn View Post
Where are you guys headed now? I spent several years on Kentucky Lake and have made the run from Nashville. Really a pretty area.
Wifey B: We're about to park on Sunday on the TN River and fly home. We'll cruise there next probably March or April. Next summer, we intend to cruise some on the TN River and the Cumberland. I figure maybe 12 weeks or so total in two separate periods.

We fell in love with Chattanooga all over again this week. Prior to a shift of plans to FLL, it was our dream retirement. If we were ever going to have a second home, a second non-boat home that is, that's probably where it would be, although all the TN River is nice. Pickwick has temperature going for it, Chickamauga and Watts Bar and such have scenery and cities and Chickamauga has the best name. Then Kentucky and Barkley are humongous but a bit cold during winter. Can't wait to go to Nashville by water. Never been there.

Our cruising the rest of the year is still undetermined. Probably no trips over a couple of weeks in duration, so not too far from home. Maybe a two week trip between Thanksgiving and Christmas. We're planning on being home for Thanksgiving. Last year we were in Clearwater and the year before in Los Angeles (Marina del Rey). Seems like forever since we had one at home.

After the start of the year, we'll do our next long cruise.

We're sort of where we always are after a few weeks of being away from home. We've had a blast, even today's a blast, but we're also looking forward to home. A little while there and we'll be looking forward to cruising again.

The Illinois and Mississippi weren't as much fun as some places so glad we followed them with a few days on the TN River. Glad we have 80 degree weather. Today was bikini weather.

And, after tomorrow, no more locks for a while.
Old 10-29-2016, 09:13 AM   #10
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
I thought locking up referred to raising when the lock closes not upstream /downstream
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 11:35 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
I thought locking up referred to raising when the lock closes not upstream /downstream
Wifey B: It does and I guess they're not always the same, but mostly they are. In the ones I'm referring to they are. It's natural that to go upstream, you'll be locking up. At least seems so to me. But then all the up and down has me dizzy. Just did our final locking for a while.
Old 10-29-2016, 12:25 PM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
Seems to me they are the same...
Locking up...Raising in the lock implies upstream

Locking down...lowering in the lock...downstream

Or I'm missing something???
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 02:56 PM   #13
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
I am headed to Knoxville on Thursday to help on a boat coming down to Pensacola. I think I counted 32 sets of locks? Maybe not, but it's a lot. We are gonna take our time including probably about a week in Chattanooga. Hope to be back in the Gulf before Christmas.

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:21 PM   #14
Guru

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
We're planning to leave Seabrook next year about March 1 +/- to spend several months cruising the Tennessee and Cumberland. We'll probably stay on the rivers until the cold weather pushes us back south.

We've never been there, but from what we've heard it's beautiful river cruising.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 04:22 PM   #15
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post
I am headed to Knoxville on Thursday to help on a boat coming down to Pensacola. I think I counted 32 sets of locks? Maybe not, but it's a lot. We are gonna take our time including probably about a week in Chattanooga. Hope to be back in the Gulf before Christmas.

The good news is that most of those locks will be quick. The TN River goes smoothly unless there is a commercial hold up at Chickamauga. Most have two chambers. The TN Tom goes well most of the time but you can get held a bit.

I don't see 32 sets though. I'll have to double check myself. But I recall something like 6 on the TN River, 10 on the TN Tom, 2 on the Tombigbee.
Old 10-29-2016, 05:15 PM   #16
Enigma

Greetings,
Mr. B "Or I'm missing something???" Nope. Got it on the first try. If still in doubt please refer to post #2 or for a more graphic demonstration...

Old 10-29-2016, 05:52 PM   #17
Guru

We love Tennessee! Haven't done it by water yet but by Airstream it is a beautiful place to be...
I hear you on the up and down confusion, I have zero sense of direction and I'm always a bit confused about where we are and where we are going. I've learned to simply enjoy this trip!!!
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 08:50 PM   #18

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGillicuddy View Post

McGillcuddy, The river below Chickamauga Dam through Chattanooga will, in all probability, be closed to traffic from Friday November 4 through either Late Sunday evening or possibly Monday morning the 7th. Due to the “Head of the HOOCH” rowing event that takes place there each year. Have you planned around or through that? We will be there at the Ross Landing dock for the event on Friday through Monday morning. I have no idea if they enforce that closing after dark. The race course buoys are in place I am certain. If your travel plans were transiting this section during this time. You may want to call the Lockmaster at Chickamauga for information on the river closing. Safe travels.
Dave
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 09:00 PM   #19

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
WifeyB, Nashville downtown dock is the bomb, as we used to say. Be sure to set your alarms when you leave the boat if you chose to dock there. All the best night life entertainment is a very short walk up to 2nd avenue- Broadway. Be sure to check out our two favorite "joints" "Roberts" and of course can't go to Nashville and not say you have been to "Tootsies"
Favorite eatery is Merchants somewhere near or maybe on Broadway. can't recall exactly. No drinking was involved one can be assured.
If your travels bring you'all to Goosepond Colony Marina TN river mile 378 Give us a shout. Ask for David and the Sea Note. Thanksgiving at home sounds nice. Cheers.
Dave
Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 12:51 AM   #20
Guru

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Scot Free
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 53' Efficient
Toolbuddie, thanks for the heads up. 🤓

McGillicuddy is offline   Reply With Quote