Old 02-03-2011, 03:38 AM   #21
FF
Guru

RE: locking through with a single screw

One hassle is good fenders are BIG ,and hold the boat out,

so even when the slide pipe is fetched perfectly , the need to pass a line around it can be a problem.

Our solution is smaller fenders and a commercial grade rub rail , in case there is momentary contact.

FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 07:00 AM   #22
Guru

City: Atlanta
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse

Ok. Just to report- I have decided, at least thus far, locking through with a single screw trawler, even without a bow thruster, is very easy and not hard at all. We went through 2 locks the last 2 days each dropping about 50' or so. Total cakewalk! I feel like I am getting more and more comfortable handling this little old trawler and going through the locks really was very easy...total non event!

Woodsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:20 AM   #23
Guru

City: Port Townsend Washington
Vessel Name: " OTTER "
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander Europa 40

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:

Ok. Just to report- I have decided, at least thus far, locking through with a single screw trawler, even without a bow thruster, is very easy and not hard at all. We went through 2 locks the last 2 days each dropping about 50' or so. Total cakewalk! I feel like I am getting more and more comfortable handling this little old trawler and going through the locks really was very easy...total non event!
It is great to get your feet wet locking down... the boat tends to ride out away from the wall on a down lock... not so on a up lock.* Last summer we got really good at locking on our trip up and down the Columbia and Snake rivers.. We found that with a single bollard can the lines needed to be pretty tight of the boat ended up with either the square point of the transom or the bow wanting to drag up the wall. We used 6- 30" orange commercial round fenders on Volunteer and we ended up replacing four because of small pin hole leaks.

The walls of the locks there are about as smooth as macadam.* I wanted to make up a set of tire fenders for the trip but never got to it... with the new boat we are going to do the CC. fender boards... tires look tacky hanging off a Sea Ray. We also tried to use a combo of bow thruster and prop wash to lessen the up lock drag to no avail.. but some of the locks lift over 100' and I think the lockmasters enjoy watching us fight the current.* With the winds* ( we had 45 kts one day ) on the Columbia sometimes just getting into the 85' X 600' X 120' deep lock chamber is a chore in itself. Going down we cranked up the tunes, danced on the flybridge, drank beer, and never even looked at the lines... the boat would stay a couple feet off the wall.

The last thought is we always ran our lines from the boat to the bollard back to the boat as our safety in the event of a hanging bollard.
HOLLYWOOD

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf4611small.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	4837  
hollywood8118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:49 AM   #24
KJ
El Capitan

City: N Myrtle Beach, SC
Vessel Name: Avalon
Vessel Model: Chung Hwa 46 LRC
locking through with a single screw

Quote:
Woodsong wrote:*

I've done about 450 miles of the TN River 2 previous boats ago when we had our 33' express. *I found it easy to do but that boat had twin screws.***

So for those with a single screw without a thruster- how are you all handling locking through?

In theory I am just going down the river to get my topsides painted. *In reality I may be going down there to do that AND get a bow thruster installed. *

Sounds like you have one foot in each camp of the eternal Single*Screw vs. Twins debate.* If you get a bow thruster installed could you takes some pics before and after?*It might come in handy for future*reference for some of us.****** KJ**

-- Edited by KJ on Monday 14th of February 2011 09:50:39 AM
KJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 04:44 AM   #25
FF
Guru

"going through the locks really was very easy...total non event!"

EVERYTHING should be a non event , with a bit of practice ,, A walk in the Sun!
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 02:29 PM   #26
Guru

City: Saint Augustine, Fl.

We had faith in Ya, Woodsong!

Sailor of Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote