Old 09-28-2019, 03:36 PM   #1
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
Local boatyard closing

Mods feel free to move if a better place for it.

This may be old news for some, but I just was told that Latitude Marine, formerly Sovereign Marine and originally Skagit Bay Boatyard here in LaConner, WA is going up for auction next month.

I worked at this yard for 16 years under all 3 owners since it first opened, in fact I was there for the first haulout on the new, at that time largest sling lift in the area at 100 tons. Sort of a white elephant in its operation but they made improvements over the years, it was pretty pathetic at first!

So this will narrow down to one yard in LaConner now, LaConner Maritime at the north end of town. Latitude was just inside the Hole in the Wall.

I worked as their main shipwright and caulker for 16 years, and hate to see it closed. As to why its closing, I don't know and don't want to speculate.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #2
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Too many regs,too high taxes, not enough profit as a result?
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #3
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by localboy View Post
Too many regs,too high taxes, not enough profit as a result?

When you have no idea, why not fill in the blanks with your own world view? Then things will always appear as you want them too, rather than how they actually are.
Old 09-28-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
Technical Guru

City: Wilmington, NC
Vessel Name: Louisa
Vessel Model: Custom Built 38
I lived right next door to a boatyard in NC (Carolina Yacht Yard). It had been in business for about 40-50 years under two owners. I worked as an independent subcontractor taking care of generator and engine rebuilds. I would diagnose, their guys would pull the machine out, I'd take it to my shop and do my thing, they would install it. Towards the end, the owners were getting into their sixties, getting tired and developers were drooling over the land. I guess they got an offer that set them for life and that was that. Hard to turn down that kind of money. Now my neighbors are three McMansions.

Land under the yard is almost always worth more than the yard can justify. Does not explain an auction though.. Maybe the land already sold and the auction is just for the equipment.
Ski in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:47 PM   #5
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Ski this is on Indian land.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:22 PM   #6
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
https://www.tradeonlytoday.com/deale...ete-in-seattle
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:42 PM   #7
Guru

Interesting piece. I met Anchor a few times when I worked at another yard in Seattle, where I was born and raised, and my dad knew him pretty well.
I apprenticed at Fishing Vessel Owners Marine Ways at Fisherman's Terminal just alongside the Ballard Bridge, worked there for 12 years before moving to LaConner in 1989 when Skagit Bay Boatyard opened.

Wood boat work is a dying trade, though still enough of them around here in the PNW to keep a few guys working fairly steady. The last few years I did it, was spent mostly caulking or 'corking' as most know it. Mindless labor, hard on the joints and ears.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:53 PM   #8

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Name: Carousel
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4788 (1998)
I got notice of the auction a few weeks ago. The auction is for the equipment and buildings not the property or business. Here is a link to the upcoming auction LATITUDE MARINE SERVICES - LIVE AUCTION | James G. Murphy Co. . Interesting stuff is available if only I had room.
NWSeadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:21 PM   #9
Guru

Well the lift is up for auction and that is pretty much the business. I heard the place is done.
Old 09-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #10
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
puget-trawler, is that on Indian land? I thought the Indians were on the other side of the slough.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:36 PM   #11
Guru

They are on the other side, but if I recall yes, this was also tribal.
Old 09-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #12
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78puget-trawler View Post
Mods feel free to move if a better place for it.

This may be old news for some, but I just was told that Latitude Marine, formerly Sovereign Marine and originally Skagit Bay Boatyard here in LaConner, WA is going up for auction next month.

I worked at this yard for 16 years under all 3 owners since it first opened, in fact I was there for the first haulout on the new, at that time largest sling lift in the area at 100 tons. Sort of a white elephant in its operation but they made improvements over the years, it was pretty pathetic at first!

So this will narrow down to one yard in LaConner now, LaConner Maritime at the north end of town. Latitude was just inside the Hole in the Wall.

I worked as their main shipwright and caulker for 16 years, and hate to see it closed. As to why its closing, I don't know and don't want to speculate.
Well that sucks. I've used Latitude for awhile, and Patrick, the owner, is a good and honest person IMO. The boat business is a hard business....
Old 09-28-2019, 07:11 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

City: Lake Stevens, WA via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Vessel Model: C-Dory 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
When you have no idea, why not fill in the blanks with your own world view? Then things will always appear as you want them too, rather than how they actually are.
Denial. It ain’t just a river in Egypt.
localboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:39 PM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by localboy View Post
Denial. It ain’t just a river in Egypt.
And what is just making up information like you chose to do, when you know absolutely nothing about why they closed.

Boatyards close for many reasons. Lack of profits, age of owners, other uses for land are just a few and the most common. Lack of profits can be for many reasons including the most common which is poor management, lack of capital, market conditions, and competition. I have no idea why this marina closed. Perhaps someone who knows the owner will talk to him, but then they might not still get the real story.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 12:22 AM   #15

City: Gig Harbor WA
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Local boatyard closing

I’m truly sorry to learn about their closure. I first used Latitude almost 20 years ago to refasten the bottom on my old Monk cruiser. I believe Patrick had just acquired the yard. Then recently I took my Selene there to install hydraulic stabilizers and an articulating rudder. I appreciated their honesty and general good attitude toward work and customer service. It wasn’t just another “yacht yard”; but rather a real working boatyard where you’d see seiners, tugs and trawler yachts like mine sharing the same space...RIP Latitude Marine.
Willard 40
nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:47 PM   #16
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
And what is just making up information like you chose to do, when you know absolutely nothing about why they closed.

Boatyards close for many reasons. Lack of profits, age of owners, other uses for land are just a few and the most common. Lack of profits can be for many reasons including the most common which is poor management, lack of capital, market conditions, and competition. I have no idea why this marina closed. Perhaps someone who knows the owner will talk to him, but then they might not still get the real story.
Why are you guys jumping down this fella's throat when he posed a QUESTION, not an assertion? JHC!
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 08:15 PM   #17
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Why are you guys jumping down this fella's throat when he posed a QUESTION, not an assertion? JHC!
I jumped down his throat as you call it because he stated that TwistedTree was just in denial over his question/assertion. That second post clearly turned the question into an assertion or statement in spite of the question mark.

My post was not a response simply to his original post but to his follow up response.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:57 PM   #18
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Sounds like a case of two wrongs to me. OUT.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 12:42 AM   #19
Grand Vizier

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Because it's an Internet forum. If you stated that apple pie tastes good, there will be those who will call you a fool, or imply that you are one.
Old 10-08-2019, 01:03 AM   #20
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delfin View Post
Because it's an Internet forum. If you stated that apple pie tastes good, there will be those who will call you a fool, or imply that you are one.
Wifey B: If God had meant for apples to be cooked, she wouldn't have grown them on trees.