Old 08-07-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Scraping Paint

City: -
Lobsterboat weekend

Weekend cruise to Anacortes. First shot is Carey passing us on his way to the same place. Second shot is a beautiful lobsterboat based, I think, in Friday Harbor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carey.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	12222   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lobsterboat.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	12223  

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Guru

City: Miami Florida
Vessel Name: Possum
Vessel Model: Ellis 28
Those damn yankees sure know how to build pretty boats. Who built the lobster boat?

HopCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #3
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Those damn yankees sure know how to build pretty boats. Who built the lobster boat?
Carey's is a fiberglass commercial lobsterboat hull from Maine with a custom house and interior. He's told me many times who made the hull but I can never remember it, so maybe he'll see this and tell you.

The other boat is wood but I have no idea who built it. Carey had seen it before in Friday Harbor and has talked to the owner so perhaps he has more info. He told me this weekend he's pretty sure it has a gas engine and it did sound like that as it was coming and going from the dock we were all on.

We were intrigued by the way the dinghy is carried on the boat. It projects out over the transom a bit so we suspect it is simply deployed and retrieved by hand over a roller on the transom that supports the keel. Didn't get a chance to actually ask, though.
Old 08-07-2012, 10:18 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Carey's looks like a Jarvis Newman hull. The second boat pictured from the angle looks a little long and narrow for most Maine built lobster hulls. Wonder if it may be from Nova Scotia.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #5
Scraping Paint

I don't know that the second boat was even built to commercial lobsterboat plans. But it certainly has "the look." It's home port is a town in Maine but that doesn't necessarily mean anything in terms of where the boat was built or who built it.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
There are still quite a few builders in Maine, but most of them buy bare hulls to finish. Carey's boat is built in more of the current mode, They are wider in the stern to carry a large load of traps. The other boat could be an earlier one.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #7
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
There are still quite a few builders in Maine, but most of them buy bare hulls to finish. Carey's boat is built in more of the current mode, They are wider in the stern to carry a large load of traps. The other boat could be an earlier one.
Don
I think you are right about the earlier design of the wood boat pictured. I spoke with the owner a couple years ago, but my memory is lacking as to designer, builder or other particulars. She is very nicely maintained, with full canvas cover.

My "Happy Destiny" is a Spencer Lincoln design, using a mold built by Blue Hill Marine, and laid up by Fly Point Marine in Brooklin, ME prior to Atlantic Boat Company purchasing all their assets. She was finished by a fellow in LaConner, WA. It was his fifth lobster boat build.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #8
Guru

Marin, any chance you can find out more about that second boat? I really love the looks of it. My guess would be a Bunker and Ellis in really good shape if she's wood.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:37 AM   #9
Scraping Paint

If we see it out in the islands I'll try to. Carey might have the first crack at learning more about it if it's based in Friday Harbor as he goes there more often than we do.

I got a shot of it departing the fairway we were in so the name and hailing port should be visible. But I haven't download that shot from the camera yet.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:45 AM   #10
Guru

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Happy Destiny
Vessel Model: Custom Lobster Yacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
If we see it out in the islands I'll try to. Carey might have the first crack at learning more about it if it's based in Friday Harbor as he goes there more often than we do.

I got a shot of it departing the fairway we were in so the name and hailing port should be visible. But I haven't download that shot from the camera yet.
Marin
She is no longer in Friday Harbor, and the owner did not say where they are currently based.
Old 08-08-2012, 12:57 AM   #11
Scraping Paint

If I can come up with the name and hailing port from my photos perhaps someone can hunt it up using a USCG data base or something. It's got no WN number displayed so I'm assuming it's a documented boat.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Home Port: Buck's Harbor, Maine
Vessel Name: "Emily Anne"
Vessel Model: 2001 Island Gypsy 32 Europa (Hull #146)
The second boat doesn't look like a Bunker & Ellis to me, but they did build several different styles. Here is the most common style:

Bunker And Ellis - pendletonyachtyard

At least one guy is still building in wood and his boats are sought after by both lobstermen and yachtsmen.

http://www.johnsbayboat.com/Peter%20Kass.pdf

Here's a B&E that was owned for a while by Giffy Full, a renowned East coast boat surveyor:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Kittiwake.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	12232  
dwhatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 02:28 PM   #13
Scraping Paint

Here are two more shots of the wooden lobsterboat I pictured in my initial post. As you can see, the boat's name is Terrier and the home port is N. (North?) Haven, Maine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Terrier 2.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	12251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Terrier 1.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	12252  
Old 08-09-2012, 04:22 PM   #14
Veteran Member

City: Bridgewater, NJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
Here are two more shots of the wooden lobsterboat I pictured in my initial post. As you can see, the boat's name is Terrier and the home port is N. (North?) Haven, Maine.
I am sure you didn't mean to, but at first glance at these 2 photos, it appears that this boat has a dock piling for mast, sprouting through the tender...
scarletbison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 06:38 PM   #15
Guru

City: Georgia
I thought that was the smoke stack from the steam engine
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #16
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletbison View Post
I am sure you didn't mean to, but at first glance at these 2 photos, it appears that this boat has a dock piling for mast, sprouting through the tender...
Interesting how they lined up that way isn't it? I wasn't paying any attention at the time, just snapping the shots as I walked by and it went by. I have other shots of the boat leaving without the piling but this one showed the name and hailing port the best.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:49 PM   #17
Guru

Vessel Name:TERRIER, USCG Doc. No.:593492, Vessel Service:RECREATIONAL, IMO Number:*, Trade Indicator:Recreational, Call Sign:*, Hull Material:FRP (FIBERGLASS), Hull Number:21, Ship Builder:CONCORDIA CO INC, Year Built:1973
Length (ft.):36, Hailing Port:NORTH HAVEN ME, Hull Depth (ft.):5.5, Owner:VAUGHN OLSON
5537 S CLIFFSEDGE AVE
BOISE, ID 83716, Hull Breadth (ft.):11, Gross Tonnage:14Net Tonnage:11, Documentation Issuance Date:May 22, 2012, Documentation Expiration Date:June 30, 2013, Previous Vessel Names:OLD MAN
Previous Vessel Owners:VAUGHN OLSON
DEAN L FISHER
RICHARD E DEUTSCH

This looks like it to me. It's fiberglass. I'd bet the original owner bought a hull and had Concordia finish it. The hull looks a lot like a Jarvis Newman that a friend of mine owned. It was designed by Raymond Bunker and Newman built two of them but I don't know if he built the hulls or not.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:01 PM   #18
Guru

This is the Jarvis Newman my friend had built in 1973. What do you think? Same hull? Both 36 foot. Both built in 1973.

Old 08-09-2012, 09:06 PM   #19
Scraping Paint

Built the same year as our old GB. Wish our GB looked as good. Carey and I speculated it was wood based on the overall design but the fact it's a fiberglass hull explains the lack of any plank lines in the paint. We just figured it was a really good fairing and paint job.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:09 PM   #20
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
This is the Jarvis Newman my friend had built in 1973. What do you think? Same hull? Both 36 foot. Both built in 1973.
Looks very similar. Aside from details like portlights and such one difference seems to be the stem. The one in your photo appears to be a bit more vertical than Terrier's. But without identical photo angles it's hard to say for sure.