Old 07-14-2013, 01:00 PM   #1

City: Bellingham, WA
Vessel Name: Our Heaven
Vessel Model: Willard 30' Searcher
LOA including swim step to anchor?

My wife and I are looking seriously to purchase a trawler, (using that term losely) and have been told at the harbor max length is 35' from swim to anchor with no further over hang. I looked at the slips yesterday and saw a GB 32 which must fit. I am wondering other models that would also meet that length.
Californian 34 LRC?
IG 32 ( I assume would but would like clarification)
We are looking for a very traditional vessel, the go fast sleek Bayliner look doesn't appeal to us. Other thoughts? Our budget is going to max about 70ish.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Californian 34 should come off that list. Not certain loa but FlyWright's fills a 40 foot berth quite nicely.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 02:49 PM   #3
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Yup...strike the 34 Californian off your list. My LOA is 36'8" or something like that...maybe 36' 10". I have an anchor pulpit and a swim step.

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:31 PM   #4
Guru

City: Full Time Cruising East Coast
Vessel Name: Meridian
Vessel Model: Krogen-42
I wouldn't be buying a boat to fit a slip unless there are no other marinas within an hours drive.
KK-42097
meridian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #5

My choice is to be able to use the boat regularly and with Bellingham being just over ten minutes away it makes sense to me. Plenty of 35' or less boats would work for a family of three.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:40 PM   #6
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
George Buehler designed the Diesel Duck 34 because: "I had thought that the original 38 DUCK was as small as the concept could be but recently I had to reconsider. A guy down in Mississippi told me he loved the 38, but, since Katrina took out the coast, most of the rebuilt marinas have a firm 35' overall maximum length rule. That includes pulpits, davits, etc. Why I don't know. Possibly to make it easier to bulldoze up the ruble after the next hurricane? He wondered if the DUCK could be made smaller."

Diesel Duck 34
Old 07-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #7
THD
Guru

City: Seattle
Most marinas do charge by LOA including swim platform and bow pulpit. However, when a boat is described as an IG 32, or an MT 34, it most often refers to Length on Deck. So virtually all boats have an addition 2 to 5 feet to get from LOD to LOA. So if your slip is truly limited to 35', then you are limited to around a 32' boat or smaller. Surely in the B'ham area, there are marinas with slips bigger than 35'.

Where is Marin when you really need him?
THD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by THD View Post

Where is Marin when you really need him?
I don't think he is up to do anything more than a PM.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:30 AM   #9

City: La Conner, WA
Vessel Model: 1983 Tung Hwa Clipper
Bshillam,
Are you 10 minutes south, or north? Have you looked at Laconner? It's the best $ deal in NW washington (covered slips at the price of open in Bellingham) and a wonderful community, town. Good luck on your search. You may want to look at a GB 32 or a Taiwan (CHB) 30-32 sedan to hit that 35 LOA mark. Good luck.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:51 AM   #10

La Conner is about forty minutes+ away. I am on the Eastside of Bellingham close to Lake Whatcom.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:45 AM   #11
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Bshillam

I recommend you punch up Seattle CL and place Tollycraft on search feature.

34' Sedan and tri cabin Tolly can easily have their short pulpit modified (if one even exists on a particular Tolly boat) and, if marina still squawks about 0AL being just a couple inches over 35' cause of swim step... that too can be overcome relatively easily by hinging the swim step to transom and having pull-up lines affixed.

You should go aboard a few good condition Tolly - they grow on ya quickly and in general their build-out was exceptional. As with any production boat builder, no matter how well the builder constructed their models over decades, different year Tolly have different qualities/quirks.

Best to join Tolly Forum if you get serious on looking at Tollycraft... search feature has thousands of archived threads and posts with many answers. Also, place a question on a new thread and there usually will be more than one Tolly Guru ready to supply qualified answers to help you. We Tollycraft owners band together to assist each other as well as to help new Tolly owners... being that we are a pretty tight clique...

Best Luck, in whatever you do!

Happy Boating Daze!

Art
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 07:52 AM   #12

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
Length over all--LOA--is measured from the fore part of the stem to the after part of the stern along the centerline, EXCLUDING any projections that are not part of the hull such as the bowsprit or swim platform (unless it is a molded part of the hull).--Chapman
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #13
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
Length over all--LOA--is measured from the fore part of the stem to the after part of the stern along the centerline, EXCLUDING any projections that are not part of the hull such as the bowsprit or swim platform (unless it is a molded part of the hull).--Chapman
Captain K - That's correct... regarding registration and other “official” measurement purposes for a boat. However... for dockage slip needs and resulting fees marinas often calculate boat length by adding any appendage on bow or stern to the official LOA, i.e. pulpits, anchor extensions, swim steps... etc. This is sometimes called OAL - Over All Length; as marinas figure what slip your boat needs to be sure and not have appendages sticking out water end of slip in the way of passing boats or in the way of dock walkers on the other end of slip.
Old 07-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Vessel Name: Whimsy
Vessel Model: Camano 31
Give me a call (3607521741). We're in Bellingham also and just went through the same exercise for our 36 foot slip. For trawler style vessels you could look at the Nordic Tug 32 or the Camano 31. We chose a Camano but then there are only two of us and our really long trip summers are of the past.
Tom
CamanoFolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #15
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
However... for dockage slip needs and resulting fees marinas often calculate boat length by adding any appendage on bow or stern to the official LOA, i.e. pulpits, anchor extensions, swim steps... etc.
That's the way it is in my marina.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHorse II View Post
That's the way it is in my marina.
Walt

Tiz a bitch for us boat owners to have to pay even more of a slip-fee than our registered LOA! - - > i.e. the marina’s OAL - LOL

But truthfully, it really is the correct way for marinas to calc costs/expenses as well as to insure safety for berthed boats, water born boats, and dock walking pedestrians. Be a real bitch for all parties concerned to have a swim step or dink and davits ripped off by a passing craft... or God forbid... an eye punctured by an anchor’s or pulpit’s protrusion while dock walking. So far as end dock tie-ups; the money for marina is in every foot of dock used.

Around here slips usually come in the 30, 35, 40... multiples of “5”. That way we’re not paying for the marina's actual OAL of our craft... but usually just a bit more so our boat really fits fully in the slip. Our 34 LOA Tolly measures a marina’s OAL at 37’6”. We rent 40’ or longer berths.

Happy Boating Daze!

PS: BTW Walt, how's your boat's eng temp doing?? Ever get opp to try Syn-oil for comparison to Dino-oil for temp reasons?
Old 07-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #17
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: "Sandpiper"
Vessel Model: 2006 42' Ocean Alexander Sedan
Quote:
PS: BTW Walt, how's your boat's eng temp doing?? Ever get opp to try Syn-oil for comparison to Dino-oil for temp reasons?
My engine continues to run at 192 at all settings above 1800rpm. It cools slightly at idle but seems to be happy at those temps. Yes, I'm coming up on an oil change (most likely this fall) and fully intend to try the synthetic. I will keep the Forum posted.

My passion for improving my boat(s) exceeds my desire to constantly cruise them.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 12:57 PM   #18

City: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Vessel Name: Holly Day
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 44
Quote:
Captain K - That's correct... regarding registration and other “official” measurement purposes for a boat. However... for dockage slip needs and resulting fees marinas often calculate boat length by adding any appendage on bow or stern to the official LOA, i.e. pulpits, anchor extensions, swim steps... etc. This is sometimes called OAL - Over All Length; as marinas figure what slip your boat needs to be sure and not have appendages sticking out water end of slip in the way of passing boats or in the way of dock walkers on the other end of slip.
Sadly true. Funny story...some years ago I signed a contract with a marina for a slip. The contract used the term LOA, which it did not define. I challenged the marina later when they tried to slap me with back fees charging for my bowsprit which was 4 feet long. Our disagreement went to arbitration, as the contract stipulated. I was able to convince the arbitrator to consider Chapman's definition of LOA as coming from a reputable and unbiased source. I also presented identical USCG definitions from 46 CFR. She, the arbitrator, ruled in my favor. The marina owners later amended their contracts. It sometimes helps to know the facts rather than what everybody thinks are facts. The boating world is rife with such misconceptions. Marina owners are no exception.
Captain K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #19
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain K View Post
Sadly true. Funny story...some years ago I signed a contract with a marina for a slip. The contract used the term LOA, which it did not define. I challenged the marina later when they tried to slap me with back fees charging for my bowsprit which was 4 feet long. Our disagreement went to arbitration, as the contract stipulated. I was able to convince the arbitrator to consider Chapman's definition of LOA as coming from a reputable and unbiased source. I also presented identical USCG definitions from 46 CFR. She, the arbitrator, ruled in my favor. The marina owners later amended their contracts. It sometimes helps to know the facts rather than what everybody thinks are facts. The boating world is rife with such misconceptions. Marina owners are no exception.
Good Job!

Many a slip twixt the cup and the lip!
Old 07-15-2013, 07:07 PM   #20
Guru

City: Long Beach, CA
Vessel Name: Heads Up
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
I guess I'm lucky. I pay for a 42' boat. The GB is called a 42 and that is what I said when I moved in. I have a 45' slip and I hang out about 3 feet They don't say a word.

But this is Los Angeles. We be cool.

Capthead is offline   Reply With Quote