LOA including swim step to anchor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm proud to announce that our boat is exactly 30' long w no extensions whatever on either end and our slip is 30' long as well. That's one of the many reasons we don't have a swim step or bow pulpit.
Come on, Eric! You don't expect us to believe that do you? ($$$$$$) That's the real reason.:D

Hi Walt ... believe what you will but in Alaska the 37 foot slip cost $570 a YEAR. I don't recall what the 50' costs but it was cheap.

Here my moorage is $300 a mo ... SIX times as much as the 37 foot slip in Alaska.

Do you guys think $300 a mo for 30' covered is representative of the service? Should the cost of moorage at a public place be about the same as the cost of operation? Should a public entity make a profit from renting moorage to pleasureboat owners? Should the government provide such service for boat owners?

Hi Walt ... believe what you will but in Alaska the 37 foot slip cost $570 a YEAR. I don't recall what the 50' costs but it was cheap.

Here my moorage is $300 a mo ... SIX times as much as the 37 foot slip in Alaska.

Do you guys think $300 a mo for 30' covered is representative of the service? Should the cost of moorage at a public place be about the same as the cost of operation? Should a public entity make a profit from renting moorage to pleasureboat owners? Should the government provide such service for boat owners?

IMHO - Govt should freely supply covered berths for all pleasure cruisers. Lets get Bama into boating and my wish may come true... where's ancora when he's needed? LOL :rofl:

My choice is to be able to use the boat regularly and with Bellingham being just over ten minutes away it makes sense to me. Plenty of 35' or less boats would work for a family of three.

Somehow the OP's question got lost in the fray of this discussion.

You're absolutely correct bshillam, there are tons of boats available that your family can have a great time on. Bayliner is a brand nobody has brought up yet and there are plenty of fine examples in your area. The 32' flybridge model had a nice layout IIRC. Chris Craft is another often overlooked brand worth investigating. Tolly Craft has been mentioned and they are plentiful in your area.

A lot of the boats I've mentioned come either gas or diesel powered. Don't overlook gas as it can be quite economical both to buy and own. Obvious safety steps must be learned and followed but are easy to deal with.

Seahorse- I think it's time to move the boat!! My slip fees are only $214 per month for a 40ft. COVERED !!!!

Captain K- You at the Pirates Place (Ed Orton) on the Tombigbee? I'm just upriver from you!

Jolly Time

I'm at Pirates Cove, Roberts Bayou, AL...near Orange Beach.

I wonder what our moorage rates would be if they were proportional to the cost of operating the marina plus 5 or 10%.

What role do taxes play in this issue?

Hinged pulpit also a possibility

One of the boats in our club moorage hinged the teak bow pulpit to get short enough to fit the slip. It's basically a butt hinge, that allows the front of the pulpit to swing up and back toward the foredeck. When coming into the marina, the anchor is stowed in chocks on deck, and the pulpit is bent upward on the hinge. The result is a LOA that is about 30-36 inches shorter than with the pulpit unhinged. The guy has had his pulpit this way for several years, with no reports of trouble.

Chuck that's a good trick. I just carry my rode on deck in the first place. But that's an option I hadn't seen or heard of. And saves the man considerable moorage down the road channel or whatever.

Same with markpierce's fold up swim step. Makes perfect sense...wish I thought of it.

img_169145_0_fb0156f362261d871a2a589119a7819f.jpg

It's a rare sight to see my Coot's swim step and boarding ladder down.

img_169149_0_f3f23c7d964139ec552f12039bacbaa4.jpg

(The swim step was a $1250 option at no cost to me since it wasn't ordered.)

Last edited:
I think very bad things of you guys sticking out into the fairway OR the walkway. HOW RUDE.

And the idea that it's cool to "get away w stuff" like cheating and not getting caught is little kid stuff. Not quite disgusting but very disrespectful. Taking others peoples space and causing them inconvenience or worse is not cute ... it's rude.

And I disrespect the marinas that look the other way and don't protect courteous and respectful clients ... their space and their safety.

There's more but I've probably been critical enough.

From the guy without a bow platform or a swim step. :lol:

I'm not sure I would entirely agree that in every case it's rude or disrespectful.

Take the guys with the fold-up swim steps or pulpits for example. When they are folded up, they aren't physically taking up any space. Why should anybody have to pay for space they are not actually using? It's not really cheating, unless the appendages were folded up only for purposes of initial slip assignment and are allowed to protrude thereafter.

If a boat that is 45' LOA can reduce it's physical dimension to 39' by folding up a swim step and a bow pulpit, I personally wouldn't see the harm in putting that boat in a 40' slip, (providing there was adequate beam, of course).

We pay by the size of the slip.

Our boat is called a 3580, the insurance company says 37' and we seemed to have filled this 40' slip completely.

Adelaide wrote;

"From the guy without a bow platform or a swim step."

Yup .. ya got me there. 30' boat in 30' slip.

Lots of good reasons to have them but I just don't like either. With a big following sea a swim step could make the difference between pooped, swamped or not and a bow pulpit sticking out could catch a piling and damage the bow of the boat unless it had a designed in weak link but then it would be dangerous at anchor in a blow. I just don't need either enough to justify adding them and they aren't 100% a plus.

Here in Aus, things appear fairly logical. One generally pays for the berth based on size of the berth. Some marinas have them down to 9/10metres, but 11 in the general minimum, and good for boats up to 36'. I own one of them for my 34'er, but it's 36' if one is pedantic re anchor pulpit and swim-step, (or duckboard as we tend to call them). However, it would be stupid waste for my boat to take up a 12m berth.
From 11m they tend to go to 12m, which suits boats to ~38-42', then they usually jump to about 14-15m, for 50-55'ers, etc, as people here don't froth at the mouth over a wee bit of overhang, after all it's only occupying air space, so as long as it does not constitute a danger to folk walking the dock, no worries mate. Some folk lower their anchor a tad to minimise this risk if the moor bow in and the anchor protrudes a bit.
Any bigger than ~ 55' usually means paying for two, end to end berths at the end of the finger, although some marinas do have up to 20m berths.
Personally, I feel making a fuss and charging extra for literal length also taking in projections that are so variable, and as several have mentioned, can be added or subtracted merely by folding up, changing only air space occupied but not the amount of usable berth they take up, is fairly dubious as a way of valuing space taken. What really dictates how much marina real estate they occupy, which in my view is what it is fair to charge for, is what 'minimum berth length' they realistically need to effectively and securely moor, and with practical access to the vessel. and without interfering with other boat traffic. After all, the marina developers paid for the land adjoining and the installed structures, not the water surrounding it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom