Old 08-25-2015, 06:30 PM   #81
Guru

City: Sidney
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool beans View Post
For those of you suggesting lessons, can that be done before I buy a boat or do I wait till I get whatever and then chance it?
Certainly can be done and in fact I would recommend you do s if you're really serious about buying. Sign up for Power Squadron or similar courses and look into taking some lessons on a similar boat to what you are thinking of.

Going that route will better help you with your search and especially sea trials. Watch out though, lessons might even convince you to go a different direction.

After you buy a boat you can always do some specific lessons on it, if desired.

Have we gone too far off course for you here?
Hawgwash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:42 PM   #82
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Our old boat seen in this picture protruding quite a bit.(White Sportfish) Never was a problem.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 10:11 PM   #83
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by N4712 View Post
Our old boat seen in this picture protruding quite a bit.(White Sportfish) Never was a problem.
]
Last time we were by your marina, it was far worse. There was a boat just inside the wall on the right but the biggest one was about 4 slips inside on the left. I suspect it was transient. It was bigger than anything in your photo. Weren't there also boats side tied in the very back at one time too?

The thing is that they make it all work. Everyone is use to it and just knows how to avoid problems. I've seen boats against the back wall in your neighbor marina that required other boats to be moved to get out.

Marinas are not the only packed places. Look at some of the canals, especially the ones on both sides of Isle of Venice.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:08 PM   #84
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Living on a 44ft Motor Yacht too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Last time we were by your marina, it was far worse. There was a boat just inside the wall on the right but the biggest one was about 4 slips inside on the left. I suspect it was transient. It was bigger than anything in your photo. Weren't there also boats side tied in the very back at one time too?

The thing is that they make it all work. Everyone is use to it and just knows how to avoid problems. I've seen boats against the back wall in your neighbor marina that required other boats to be moved to get out.

Marinas are not the only packed places. Look at some of the canals, especially the ones on both sides of Isle of Venice.

Yes there were sea rays on either wall in the entrance, now just one on the left. The one on the right was abandoned at Harbor town by an old marina maintenance guy that hauled arse. There's now a big ocean yacht up on the left inside that sticks out about the same as our Hatteras did. Maybe more, but not by much. Yes we just had a 70ft transient Hatteras MY that docked on the back wall on the right and the left side of the back wall has a Bertram that has been at the marina for a pretty good while.

Packed? How about Playboy and adjacent yards during busy season. They pack them in and tent them up!
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:07 AM   #85
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
Interesting the variety of marina configurations and habits. We have a "10% rule" at our marina, we can extend past the end of the slip finger no more than 10% of the boat's length.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #86
Guru

City: gulf coast
In west FL short piers on one side only are common but almost always have poles far from the short pier end. The poles are used for bow lines and are a great assist in docking. Just get a stern cheek against a pole and you have it made.
bayview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:26 AM   #87
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Our marina is typical of this area, all powerboats (in our case), about 200 slips, TWO boats bow-to, all the rest stern-to. Most of the fingers are too short to be able to get off unless stern-to, although there are some full-length fingers on the outer dock where the Fleming fleet lives. Even there, all but those two boats are docked stern-to.

Many of the local mixed-use (power and sail) marinas seem to have about 50% of their sailboats docked bow-to; folks willing to climb over their lifelines...

-Chris