Old 04-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #1
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Live Your Life - In Fact Grab It By The Gizzards!

About a week ago we were anchored south of Black Point in the Exumas. A nice older model DeFever 49RPH anchored nearby. Being a DeFever design ourselves we contacted them. And over the next couple of days we went over there for drinks and they visited us.

He had some issues going on that the doctors couldn't pin down, including a level of spasticity. While he walked with a cane and had a special set up on his dinghy to help him get on and off, he was quite capable of getting into my ER and lower levels to see the whole boat.

When discussing his medical issues we actually had the conversation around "you have to live life to the fullest." He clearly getting everything in now, not knowing what the near future would bring.

This morning i heard that, while anchored at the Exuma Park he had a stroke, was fast-boated to Nassau and airlifted to Miami.

Guys and gals, if you have things you want to do. Don't put them off.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:18 PM   #2
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
TOHO...Today Only Happens Once.

I was 'semi-retired' after high school to the age of 32. Got lots done when the body was in prime condition and made great memories. Everything from here on out is gravy
Old 04-24-2017, 08:26 PM   #3

City: New Rochelle, NY
Vessel Name: Jerry Land
Vessel Model: Grand Banks/Alaskan
Menzies thanks for sharing this great reminder.
jjorgenson3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:02 PM   #4
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
About a week ago we were anchored south of Black Point in the Exumas. A nice older model DeFever 49RPH anchored nearby. Being a DeFever design ourselves we contacted them. And over the next couple of days we went over there for drinks and they visited us.

He had some issues going on that the doctors couldn't pin down, including a level of spasticity. While he walked with a cane and had a special set up on his dinghy to help him get on and off, he was quite capable of getting into my ER and lower levels to see the whole boat.

When discussing his medical issues we actually had the conversation around "you have to live life to the fullest." He clearly getting everything in now, not knowing what the near future would bring.

This morning i heard that, while anchored at the Exuma Park he had a stroke, was fast-boated to Nassau and airlifted to Miami.

Guys and gals, if you have things you want to do. Don't put them off.
Totally agree with you. I know so many people who were thinking about future, like later when I will retired I will do..., or later I will... who sadly never had the chance to live this later day... my beloved wife and I love to enjoy the now, as much simple it can be, as the later you never know if you will have the chance to live it. We often live like we were immortal but we also often forget that every second is just a gift.

L.
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:01 PM   #5
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Yup. Tomorrow is promised to no one.

Lost my dearly departed to cancer several years ago, tough lesson. Seems like too many of my friends are dropping like flies around me, I'm nothing special, except to my mom, who is legally blind.

But that didn't stop her from flying down to baja to visit. We went out into the boonies, 4WD to ranchos, hung out with local mexicans, was a hoot. She is pushing 90.

I type this from my boat in La Conner, feel really lucky to do so. Beautiful day here today. Never could have imagined a script that would have put me here, but here I am!

Tomorrow I visit Korean war vet, give him some local garlic braid from my place in baja. He is macular-blind too.

Tomorrow is promised to no one. And it costs nothing to be kind.

Boat on.....
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:08 PM   #6
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Mr. GF. Sorry for your loss. I think you've hit upon the meaning of life (at least to me anyway) with your comment of "...it costs nothing to be kind."
Old 04-25-2017, 12:11 AM   #7
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Mind you, there needs to be a balance.
Plenty in the world crying YOLO now that'll be eating dogfood in their later years.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 03:00 AM   #8
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Mr. GF. Sorry for your loss. I think you've hit upon the meaning of life (at least to me anyway) with your comment of "...it costs nothing to be kind."
Amen...
Old 04-25-2017, 03:10 AM   #9
Guru

City: Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Plenty in the world crying YOLO now that'll be eating dogfood in their later years.
True, there must be a balance for that very reason unless you're very fortunate to have already made it and don't have that concern. Just the same, find a way to save and/or invest while still doing some of the things you want to do. It doesn't necessarily have to be extravagant to have some quality times.

The other day, we went to the local boat show in a nice area just south of us. We met some great people and got excited about the fact that we are now actually moving forward working a toward our goal.

Afterward we went to dinner, had a few drinks and watched the boats, large and small depart, and the sun set over the Gulf.

Food, drinks, fuel, admission we spent less than +/- $150.00 for a great day!

Like I said, it doesn't have to be flashy to be fun.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:37 AM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Bunnell
I was 41 years old, in the car business, successful. Long hard slog, since early twenty s. Owned 5 stores.
I standing at the urinal, with 6 others, at a car auction in PA, it's real cold, icy, rainy day. We're all talking about women, the guy next to me, successful, early forty's, in mid sentence, drops dead. About a year or so later, same auction, similar weather, all standing there peeing, third guy down, drops dead.
That day , I called Angie, my girl who ran the show for me, to have all my employees, on a conference call , for the next day. 6 months later, I sold all my stores, all the inventory, everything. Bought a trawler, and never looked back.The trawler is gong now gone, [16years] lived aboard. 66 years, old now, still do not miss that life.Most of my car dealer friends are dead now. Unbelievable, highs with money, and the same with lows, and stress. Was it a fun ride, YES, do the fancy house, not really. My wife and live in an 1200 Sq ft, condo in fla, and are happy and grateful, that I woke up.Its funny, I walk around with walmart shorts on, and tee shirts with grease stains, now, just another old guy, whos just grateful to be here.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:57 AM   #11

City: Lottsburg, Va
Vessel Name: Amazing Grace
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 52 Sedan
Hotrod,
I understand your story, seen it. But I hope I never bump into you in a men's room.
bnoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:21 AM   #12
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
I get that.

Even if one can't actually give up work, it is worth asking yourself - am I throwing everything into that side of my life to the detriment of actually living life today? Since moving to the US I have been amazed at how many people (pretty much 100%) who simply will never take more than a one week vacation at one time - even though they may have seven or eight weeks vacation allowance. Then at the end of the year they lose it. When I ask them they say something about being indispensable, or they think their manager will think less of them. I have never understood that.

A better example would be in my own case. I reached a level at my company where I received large bonuses and stock options, and a company where the stock was healthy and probably always will be. I obviously worked with a lot of colleagues at that same level. Every year the bonus and options. At 57 we bought my retirement home, at 58 my retirement boat, and I packed it in at 59. People were shocked that I could walk away from aggressive wealth building - even though we got the full pension at 62 I have known people keep going until mid=sixties, just building wealth.

As soon as I believed I had "enough," I got out of there.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:15 AM   #13
Guru

City: Southern Maine
Vessel Model: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Almost 11 months into early retirement, after a 36-year career, this thread struck a chord.

My eureka moment was when I started pondering what it would take to climb the corporate ladder to my boss's boss's job. I knew him well, he had been my supervisor when I'd first started there. He had a nicer house than me. He had a nicer boat than me. But he never seemed to have the time to enjoy either one.

My choice was to enjoy the modest house, and modest boat, that I had. I still live in that house, although there have been a number of boats since then.

We had a nice dinner for him when he retired. He'd hoped to do more sailing. He never got the chance.

I'm still glad I didn't go for the bigger house, or the bigger boat.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:06 AM   #14
Guru

City: Tampa, FL
Quote:
This is true, too. The good news is that I see no reason why one must sacrifice the now for the future. You can enjoy every day as if it is your last, without burning the candle down to the point that you are going to be miserable in the event that today is NOT your last.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:09 AM   #15
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
I read a book called "Your Money or Your Life." Basic premise is that you only get so much life energy, money equates to life energy in the sense that we trade our life energy for $$. It illustrates what we spend in life energy and what we get back for that in a way that helped me make better choices of what to do, what not to do.

There was one day in the mid 90's when I read a business story online that basically stated that managers live 5 to 7 years less than "normal" working people. I was managing 7 figure project at the time. Given what I had learned from the paragraph above, I was thinking, "well, what's the point of working my butt off if I'm gonna die sooner?" Wasn't as graphically illustrated to me at the urinal as it was to "hotrod" above, but I got the message.

So I backed off from a lot of O/T, did other things with my time.

Lastly, regarding catfood: in America, we are all about how much it takes to be happy.
In baja, I learned from the mexicans how little it takes to be happy. A lot of the mexicans I know down there have next to nothing in the material sense, yet they are wealthy and happy in the familial sense. It is a striking difference that I can see every time I cross back to the states. Sad.
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:17 AM   #16
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I refuse to work too hard and save too much, so that my widow gets to spend the rewards of my life with her next boyfriend/husband. I fund my retirement, pay my bills and spend the rest NOW!
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

City: Bunnell
My wife and i found , that, as we get older we spend less. The funny thing is it did not happen intentionally. No, I do not drive a 911, any more, but who wants to fret about a door ding, every time we go out to dinner. I wanted to give my wife , as our last home, a beautiful 3,000ft direct ocean front condo, in ponce inlet , fl. Over drinks, after looking all day,at condos, she said, it's just more to clean, and air condition, and taxes, and on and on. She said she would be thrilled with half that, (or course direct ocean front, she's not stupid). And that's what we did, less than 1500 Sq ft., but you probably already guessed, ripped apart, and done her way. We even eat less, it just happened. We really enjoy wine, but not 35 dollars a bottle, much less, just as happy. Pretty much every where you go here in fla, you can wear shorts, dinner, etc.What I am trying to say is , you would be surprised, how things change as you get older, especially without that nonsense ego, pulling you around, by the nose, all the time.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:48 AM   #18
Guru

City: Mississippi
Vessel Name: ADAGIO
Vessel Model: CHB Present 42 Sundeck
'Guys and gals, if you have things you want to do. Don't put them off.'

Good reminder! I've had the John Muir Trail on my bucket/hiking list for decades (worth a google). My backpacking buddy and I hit the trail in Yosemite on Sep 11. I'm almost 62 and he's 64. 220 miles ending on Mt. Whitney at 14,506'.
FoxtrotCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 10:54 AM   #19
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotCharlie View Post
'Guys and gals, if you have things you want to do. Don't put them off.'

Good reminder! I've had the John Muir Trail on my bucket/hiking list for decades (worth a google). My backpacking buddy and I hit the trail in Yosemite on Sep 11. I almost 62 and he's 64. 220 miles ending on Mt. Whitney at 14,506'.
You're blessed. I was an avid hiker and backpacker. I'm only 46 and already have a bad knee. My hiking days are over. We're in the process of buying a boat we said we were going to wait for retirement to get. The hell with that. Seatrial is Thursday. Hopefully this won't be our last boat, however I'm not waiting until it's to late.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:20 AM   #20
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFarrell View Post
Lastly, regarding catfood: in America, we are all about how much it takes to be happy.
In baja, I learned from the mexicans how little it takes to be happy. A lot of the mexicans I know down there have next to nothing in the material sense, yet they are wealthy and happy in the familial sense. It is a striking difference that I can see every time I cross back to the states. Sad.
We learned the same lesson living in a largely Hispanic community right here in California. When your outflow exceeds your income your upkeep will be your downfall.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote