Live aboard vs Transient boater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Brockerts

Vessel Name
Moonstruck
Vessel Make
1990 Californian/Carver 48 MY
I'm looking at marinas that say "No Liveaboard", I plan on living aboard but moving from marina to marina, up and down the East coast, chasing 70 degrees. Will "No live aboard" marinas allow me to stay for a week or two? Do I consider myself a live aboard or a Transient?

Joe & Susan Borckert

Always think of yourself as a transient. Most marinas will tolerate a week, a month or even the whole summer if you are transient, ie temporary. But call yourself a live aboard and they will say no.

Same with law enforcement. Live aboards to them are scum who sit in a derelict boat and dump in the middle of the night. Transients are marginally better. Many jurisdictions have laws limiting or prohibiting live aboards, but transients are protected by US navigable waters laws allowing free passage of, yes transients.

David

I agree with the above reply from djmarchand.

Don't think a marina cares about how long you were on the boat before you go there or after you leave.

In my opinion, the term liveaboard comes in when you are doing a permanent slip arrangement.

Some marinas will discount at a weekly rate or monthly rate. It is still higher than if you signed a year contract.

Yes, what they said is true as far as I can see. I guess if we were to go full time live aboard then we would call ourselves full time cruisers.

Im a full time liveaboard in Boston. My marina allows liveaboards and actually, dare I say it, likes us. Lol

But I also agree with the above posters. Just call yourself a transient when booking for extended stays. But I would also actively search out liveaboard friendly marinas. They are out there (although they may not advertise online as such).

When calling about slip availability, be honest.

Tell them you are an active cruiser and plan on staying X quantity of time.

Make a deal that includes you paying in advance for your time in their facility.

One of the silly determining factors is what your address is. In other words, your address for mail and boat registration isn't the same city. One of the municipal marinas I stayed in couldn't have liveaboards, 6 month "Snowbirds " isn't a problem.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom