Old 08-03-2011, 12:02 PM   #41
Scraping Paint

City: -
RE: A little help for a boat purchase please….

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Marin wrote:

"How can it be linear when the economy isn't?"

Simple. Use only the DIFFERENCES in values between high and low end products. When the economy's in the tank the high and low end products depreciate about the same percentage.
I'm enough at sea when it comes to economy issues to not be able to*make a case any different than what you've stated so I'll say*your comment seems to make sense to me and leave it at that.

As to when*is the most advantageous time to buy a boat, that's a*tough one.* The*closer to it being new the better condition*it will be in.* On the other hand the closer it is to being really old, the cheaper it will be.* So I guess it would have to depend on*one's financial position.* If your objective is to buy a fairly new boat with minimal problems (in theory), I would guess that buying a boat just a few years old would get you near the "new" stage but well*past*the initial big value drop stage.

If you have a limited budget but still want a fairly high-end boat then I guess the trick is to find one that is several decades old but is still in good shape.* Boats generally can't be sold for much more than the "going" price for that make, model, and age.* So even if someone has poured $80k into an early 70s fiberglass GB, for example, the boat won't sell for much more (or any more) than the "average" early 70s fiberglass GB.**You certainly won't pay the*average price for this model and year PLUS the*$80,000 the previous owner put into it..*

So the best timing is probably toward the end of Eric's third quarter but find a boat that has been well kept up or had improvements that carry its condition quite aways above comparable boats.* You'll be getting more for your money that way.

Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:05 PM   #42
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

A broker once told me the best boat to buy is one that has been bought and sold several times and owned by people that sink money into it each time. One owner likes glitter and gives the boat a Awlgrip paint job, new cleats, canvas and SS ports. The next guy is a gear head who repowers w new upper end engines, Aqua Drives and power steering. The next guy's wife spends money well and gets new upholstery, floors/carpet, hydroconic heating system ect ect ect....... To find a long time owner selling is usually to find a boat neglected and w very few features well above the spartan stock boat. And these "loaded" boats aren't rare as we all tend to dump a bunch of money into a new boat purchase*** ....I did.

Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:28 AM   #43
FF
Guru

Value loss is governed as much by the market, which is governed by the economy, as it is some sort of mathmatical depreciation formula.

Boats are WEALTH .

The ruler the value of wealth is measured with may change , but the value remains.

There are a few sail boats that are 2x their new l sales price.

EG the Westsail was a $29,000 boat brand new , many are asking $50-K to $60K today.

The boat has depreciated , but the ruler (in this case the US dollar) has depreciated even more.

A desperate seller can be a great find, on a boat of value.

My next door bought a 60+ Nordy for $600K , which was to him a great find, as the Nordy BS site shows them for 1.2M and up.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 04:55 AM   #44
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy

The GBs and the IGs are simular and both good boats.

A lot of the details and hardware, at least in the early models are almost the same.

Right down to the manual propane*shutoff in the galley headliner.* I bet Marin's GB has a simular shutoff.

JohnP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc03415.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	6885  
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:07 AM   #45
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Thanks John,

I just installed my propane tank on the cabin top and need to go out in the rain ect and shut it off. Never seen such a valve as you seem to have. I thought they were all electric solenoid operated. Where do you get your replacement valves?
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #46
Per
Guru

a friend of mine has a very well kept and upgraded Island Gipsy for sale in Long Beach, CA which I am sure is the wrong coast.
the upgrade he has done to this trawler is unimaginable (well over 100K in upgrades alone), yet the selling price is only around 80K.
anyone who buys this boat gets a very very well maintained and equipped IG.

now if i had 250K which i had to spend on a boat I would be looking at the GB Eastbay, every time i walk by one of these in the marina i just love it..
http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000.../United-States.
Per is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #47
Scraping Paint

Quote:
JohnP wrote:
Right down to the manual propane*shutoff in the galley headliner.* I bet Marin's GB has a simular shutoff.
*Yes, it does. It's a great feature in our opinion.* I have never trusted the electric solenoid shutoff valves so many boats have now.* Just what I want in the propane locker--- something electric.* The overhead manual valve is great and GB (and perhaps IG, too) was smart enough to offset it so if there is some sort of flare-up on the stove you don't have to reach over the flames to get to the valve.

We leave the overhead manual valve shut off all the time except when we are actually going to use the stove or oven.* And when we are done, the valve is closed again.* It's become second nature to us now.* And whenever we leave the boat--- in its home slip or going ashore for an extended period, we shut off the propane tank that is feeding the system as well.

The other weekend wne we were in Friday Harbor*we experienced a failure of the then-13-year old regulator in the propane locker when its edge seal began to leak.* My wife heard a 'funny sound" from somewhere and we finally traced it* to the propane locker and found the problem.* This is a situation the manual valve in the galley overhead would not have helped-- the ony cure was to turn off the tank valve.* So we're glad we long ago*made that step an item on our "before leaving the boat" checklist.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:03 PM   #48
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: D U E T T E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy
A little help for a boat purchase please….

Quote:
nomadwilly wrote:
Thanks John,

*Where do you get your replacement valves?

Eric, Thats a good question, hope it never wears out. (knock on wood).

JohnP
********* P.S.* Also have the electric valve at the regulator, and a propane sniffer under the stove.** This was at the request of a surveyor and the insurance company backed him up.* At least they did not make me change the manual valve it is nicely fitted in the overhead with the valve body under the flybridge, must have a long stem.

-- Edited by JohnP on Thursday 4th of August 2011 04:09:22 PM
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 04:32 AM   #49
FF
Guru

We leave the overhead manual valve shut off all the time except when we are actually going to use the stove or oven. And when we are done, the valve is closed again.

In England these seem to be a "gland" (stuffing box) for the shaft of the interior control wheel , and a small 90deg angle drive , the output engages a std tank valve.

The Brits LOVE "calor gas" and use it for cooking , heat ,Hot water , interior lights .
Old 08-05-2011, 02:14 PM   #50
Scraping Paint

A little help for a boat purchase please….

Quote:
FF wrote:
The Brits LOVE "calor gas" and use it for cooking , heat ,Hot water , interior lights .
*"Calor" gas is simply regular propane.* One of the largest distributors of propane in the UK is Calor.* So in the same way that "Hoover" long ago became the common noun for vacuum cleaner in the UK, "Calor gas" has become the common noun for propane.

I have never seen it used for lights anywhere, inside or outside, in all our many trips to the UK.* Today most household appliances in the UK are electric.* An exception is the famous*Aga, a combination oven, stove and (sometimes) hot water heater, which uses coal or wood and is staggeringly expensive to buy but does a terrific job of everything that it does.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 5th of August 2011 02:17:54 PM
Old 08-06-2011, 04:16 AM   #51
FF
Guru

I have never seen it used for lights anywhere, inside or outside, in all our many trips to the UK.

I'm refering to inside BOATS .Not dirt houses.