Listen to your Wife

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HSA are only available in conjunction with a Qualified High Deductible Health Plan. When folks are Medicare eligible HSAs are no longer available. Unfortunately. So I have another 4 years to contribute as much as possible. Since there are two of us, that is is $8,000 a year.

Not on Medicare yet. On company plan which does not offer an HSA to retirees.

Must do s bit of Googling on HSAs to see if I can get one separate from the health plan.

Not on Medicare yet. On company plan which does not offer an HSA to retirees.

Must do s bit of Googling on HSAs to see if I can get one separate from the health plan.

Companies and health plans don't offer HSA's. You can set one up yourself if you quality. To qualify you must have a high deductible insurance plan.

The IRS defines a qualifying high-deductible health plan as having:

2019:

A minimum annual deductible of $1,350 individual/$2,700 family
An out-of-pocket maximum of $6,750 individual/$13,500 family

I will say I only read the first page of this five page thread. I want to add that you need to consider the urgency as well. I hear a lot of people on this first page that took themselves or a taxi to the ER. I know of 2 different cases where they did that and died on the way to the ER. So do consider an ambulance as well. I know it is another step up on the "pride scale" or the surrendering of your pride to get hauled away in an ambulance when you are not even sure if there is anything wrong. But it might be the wisest choice.

I will relate this to a boat topic. We were on about a week long boat trip and on day 6, I did not feel right. Let's just say dehydration compounded by miserable windless high humidity Texas heat. I was fixing the dinghy that morning about 9 oclock. Boardshorts, and nothing else on. Once dinghy was fixed of course I had to take a test ride. I rode around the anchorage for a bit and saw a friend and stopped by to talk for a bit...again in the direct sun. When I got back to the boat I breakfast was ready. I didn't feel right....faint and light headed. I pondered going to the ER for awhile. AMongst our boating flotilla we had a nurse and a nurse's assistant. Of course they were saying GO. I finally did when my vision started blackening around the edges. And I went in an ambulance. Was in the ER for about 4 hours and got a couple of bags of IV fluid and off I went. You never know....I was ultimately fine. But you never know until you end up like me or end up dead.

PS...working for a YUGE company and unionized, my health insurance is excellent. The entire bill on this day was under $300...ambulance included.

I will say I only read the first page of this five page thread. I want to add that you need to consider the urgency as well. I hear a lot of people on this first page that took themselves or a taxi to the ER. I know of 2 different cases where they did that and died on the way to the ER. So do consider an ambulance as well. I know it is another step up on the "pride scale" or the surrendering of your pride to get hauled away in an ambulance when you are not even sure if there is anything wrong. But it might be the wisest choice.

I will relate this to a boat topic. We were on about a week long boat trip and on day 6, I did not feel right. Let's just say dehydration compounded by miserable windless high humidity Texas heat. I was fixing the dinghy that morning about 9 oclock. Boardshorts, and nothing else on. Once dinghy was fixed of course I had to take a test ride. I rode around the anchorage for a bit and saw a friend and stopped by to talk for a bit...again in the direct sun. When I got back to the boat I breakfast was ready. I didn't feel right....faint and light headed. I pondered going to the ER for awhile. AMongst our boating flotilla we had a nurse and a nurse's assistant. Of course they were saying GO. I finally did when my vision started blackening around the edges. And I went in an ambulance. Was in the ER for about 4 hours and got a couple of bags of IV fluid and off I went. You never know....I was ultimately fine. But you never know until you end up like me or end up dead.

PS...working for a YUGE company and unionized, my health insurance is excellent. The entire bill on this day was under $300...ambulance included.

And your ambulance charge may be denied by your insurer as not an emergency. Probably not.

Your point of your post is so important. We need to scream and yell "Call an Ambulance" or "Call 911". A friend of mine had elderly parents who lived about 50 miles away. Something would happen and they'd call their daughter instead of an ambulance. Father has fallen in yard, previous broken hip, likely same again, he's writhing in pain and mother calls daughter who is 50 miles away.

People don't die from TIA's but they sure dies from the stroke that may come minutes or hours or days after. My cousin had no idea he had a TIA. He was in a group meeting and he only paused in his speaking for a few seconds. He said he was fine and "let's continue." The man standing beside him called 911. My cousin swore "nothing wrong with me." The doctors said had he stayed in the meeting he would have had a major stroke that afternoon.

I once had a neighbor ask me to take her to the ER as she was in terrible pain. So, I obliged. As I drove I got to see her pain first hand and it seemed to be worsening. I was only 10 minutes more from the hospital when I decided to pull into a fire station and turn her over to professionals. They took her the rest of the way. Turned out to be kidney stone and they immediately prepped her for surgery. As they were there to take her to the operating room, she stepped into the restroom. Passed the stone then and surgery called off. They were shocked she passed a stone that large. They ended up sonar blasting other stones.

One question I always know the answer to. Question: "Should I call an ambulance." Answer: "Yes." When we even ask that question, we already know the answer. If in doubt, make the call.

Free healthcare and in some states in Australia, free ambulance.
Some GPs bulk bill so zero cost, others charge a fee but we get most back from the govt.

I personally have had to use the hospital system twice, both times I was seen in a matter of hours.
One of those times I was in for an operation next day and a seven day stay for zero cost.
Was even lucky enough to get a private room with city views for the last 4 of those days.

Have also had medical treatment and dentistry done in Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia, all first class facilities and at minimal costs.
For example, our last trip to Vietnam my partner and I had our teeth cleaned and scraped and a tooth drilled and filled each. Modern surgery, professional staff, best dentist experience we have ever had. Total cost for the two of us was 200,000 vnd which is about $8usd so $4 each.
Funny thing is, I am sure we were overcharged.

Yes, there are individual locations within the VA system that do pretty well. However, the system as a whole is totally bogged down by govt incompetence and bureaucracy. I have a friend who waited a year for an appointment for eye surgery. The news has been rife with horror stories over the years about the overall level of care within the system. I don’t know how to fix that. My observation is that this is the reason the govt shouldn’t run our healthcare.
As to the costs of healthcare in general, the first thing that has to happen is that we have to remove the 20,000,000 people who are here illegally who are receiving free care that the rest of us are paying for. Medicare and Medicaid fraud costs billions per year and needs to be dealt with. Single payer healthcare would be a disaster and the only way to combat that is to elect a govt that doesn’t use free giveaways to buy votes. Programs such as Health savings accounts and tax incentives to people who purchase their own health care might help as well. Honestly, requiring a little personal responsibility for people who can afford healthcare but choose to buy TVs, trucks or other things instead might help as well. If you use the healthcare system, you should have to pay for services received. If hospitals didn’t have to eat the costs of providing care to so many people who don’t pay then maybe the cost to the rest of us wouldn’t be so high.
I’m no expert but I can see many problems with the cost. But the cost has nothing to do with the quality and my original point was that people from all over the world come to one place for serious health care and it ain’t Timbuktu.
You are correct about one thing - you are no expert.

I’m simply replying to the thread as it progressed. If that upsets you and Wifey B, then buh bye.
And yes, what I’ve said is factual and true. Sorry if it hurts your feelings.
Not factual, well somwhat but, hey you got yours and you earned it all by yourself and no one ever helped you get there.

You are correct about one thing - you are no expert.

Nevertheless, my perception is that I've paid, and continue to, much more than my share. And perception is reality.

I am just going to say that picking a country which had sub optimal national healthcare to prop up your argument is disingenuous. I can pick countries such as Germany, or Denmark, which don't have the problems mentioned. If we c house public healthcare, we dont have to pick the worst system.

I am retired from the military and had public healthcare for more than 20 years. I thought it was great. If we choose three public option, let's not be stupid.

Dont let him pull your chain

Bryant, The VA has had issues certainly. I have to tell you though, that I’ve been practicing near a large VA facility as well as a large DOD medical facility. The care they provide is generally excellent. Issues they have had with timeliness of service to vets have been a major focus and they are improving. I’ve also been involved with accrediting VA specialty residency programs and every one that I reviewed, was simply outstanding.

So your claim that the VA “is the worst healthcare available anywhere” is so blatantly off base that it calls into question your other blanket statements. FWIW, I have never practiced within the VA system.

However, I would be interested in hearing, from your perspective, what changes if any should be made? You have stated that US healthcare is excellent, and for very good reasons. You have also said that it is too expensive due to government interference. So what specifically, if anything, would you like changed?

Dave,

Bryant does not have to use the VA. As a retiree he has Tricare for life. This means that he pays 20% until he reaches the max deductible -- i think about $1500/year. He is able to choose any doctor that will accept Tricare. The government pays significantly less than the doctors charge, and doctors who accept Tricare must agree to not charge the patient for anything Tricare does not pay.

When i reach 65 i will be required to pay Medicare part B, about $130/month and all my expenses will be paid.

Most of my military retiree friends are against public health-care, even though they have it and it works well. They will give me some example of a country with a poor functioning health Care system (allegedly). I ask them why they would copy such a bad system. We are at liberty to design the system how we want. Why not pick the best of breed.

The only people benefiting from the current system are health insurance company stock holders and corporate officers.

Visiting Canada a couple of years ago, I needed oral antibiotics for an infected finger. A GP visit was $300! A pharmacy consult was free except of course the prescribed medication cost. I didn`t have the benefit of the Canadian subsidised medical system, but was amazed the subsidised value of a GP visit is $300, here it`s around $80. How does that compare to USA?

Bruce
I think you found a more expensive Dr.
Here, in Canada, my daughter and family, not Canadian residents, were visiting this August. The 8 yr old grand daughter needed a Rx, so visited my GP. Cost was $100. Rx was paid at the drugstore, so separate. The advantage of being able to go to my GP was in scheduling, as the office knew me, so would fit her in.

Nevertheless, my perception is that I've paid, and continue to, much more than my share. And perception is reality.

Unless you had perceived that line wrapped around your prop was safely coiled on deck.

There`s perception, and there`s reality. If they are the same, it`s just reality.

Dave,

Bryant does not have to use the VA. As a retiree he has Tricare for life. This means that he pays 20% until he reaches the max deductible -- i think about $1500/year. He is able to choose any doctor that will accept Tricare. The government pays significantly less than the doctors charge, and doctors who accept Tricare must agree to not charge the patient for anything Tricare does not pay.

When i reach 65 i will be required to pay Medicare part B, about $130/month and all my expenses will be paid.

Most of my military retiree friends are against public health-care, even though they have it and it works well. They will give me some example of a country with a poor functioning health Care system (allegedly). I ask them why they would copy such a bad system. We are at liberty to design the system how we want. Why not pick the best of breed.

The only people benefiting from the current system are health insurance company stock holders and corporate officers.

I’m actually a Tricare provider so I know what you are talking about. Being in an area with both lots of active duty and retired/disabled military we see a lot of them. Over the past few years we have also been seeing more VA patients as the VA is sending more patients out to the private sector for routine care to reduce their backlog.

I also see a lot of current and former military that are adamantly against “socialized medicine”. Sure, they can’t describe what it is. They don’t understand how it would work. However, they know it is “bad”.

I’m independent and like it that way. I am free to go broke any way I choose. I don’t want to work for a hospital or healthcare system. I work for myself. However, I would love to see a single payor system. It would lower the administrative costs significantly. Just in my small practice, I could get by with at least three less employees if we only had to deal with one payor. It would lessen the confusion for patients as well, many of whom are faced with having to change insurance carriers every few years as their employers try to find affordable options. That confusion often results in an interruption and lack of continuity of care for those with chronic disease.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom