Old 11-29-2019, 10:23 PM   #41
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
You move his boat, he can claim you caused damage to his boat even though the damage was preexisting.
Dont touch his boat. Enjoy the comforting sound of your very own diesel generator.

Old 11-29-2019, 10:35 PM   #42
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurc View Post
Quick question, is it acceptable/common to move someone’s boat on a city marine visitor dock to make room. Situation is that a sailboat is taking up about 125 feet of space with 50 on each side of them, they aren’t connected to power. I need 60 but nobody is onboard and the port is closed.
Not sure what best practice is, guessing just leave it. Trade off is I run my gen all night in a marina...
My previous post was with the assumption that "a sailboat is taking up about 125 feet of space with 50 on each side of them" meant a 125 ft sailboat. On re-reading, I now see that it must be a small sailboat in a 125' space.
My actions in this situation would likely be quite different. This boat likely squeezed between 2 others, who have since departed. The sailor would not expect to remain in control of 125' of space. He would more likely expect to be moved once new arrivals that needed more than the 50' one side of him (I assume, again, not SHE). Moving a small boat in such circumstances is really not a big deal. Yes, if there is damage it is a big deal, but how likely is that?

Old 11-29-2019, 10:36 PM   #43
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
You move his boat, he can claim you caused damage to his boat even though the damage was preexisting.
Dont touch his boat. Enjoy the comforting sound of your very own diesel generator.
A person with an attitude like that will claim damage whether you moved his boat or not and pretty much whine about everything else: slip too small, slip to far from shore, shore power pedestal too far away, boats moored too close, dock on wrong side etc.

And, he will be the first person to complain about the noisy generator.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:42 PM   #44
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post

And, he will be the first person to complain about the noisy generator.
Not really, he wasn't there!
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 10:59 PM   #45
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Move a 125-foot boat?? No way. Contact the person responsible for policing the dock. But first check with the boat. A boat that size would likely have professional crew. Hail them.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:40 AM   #46

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
I've moved boats more than once and would not hesitate again. Just not that big of a deal as far as I'm concerned.
"Meannder"
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:32 AM   #47
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
Move a 125-foot boat?? No way. Contact the person responsible for policing the dock. But first check with the boat. A boat that size would likely have professional crew. Hail them.
Read it again It is the dock that is 125' - and a single boat is in the middle so others can't get on the dock or near the pedestal.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:33 AM   #48
FF
Guru

"The typical free dock and the boats that tiie up there are not 125' or even 60'.

It's just not that complex of an issue 90% of the time."

My big gripe is the clowns that go to a free dink dock, and lock their boat alongside .

Even tho I have no problem climbing into and over their boat it sucks.

A dink with a painter 20-25 ft long can be pushed aside enough so 25 boats can be tied at a 10 ft float.

Moving a boat at a face dock ,(covered outside with wood) where the fenders will work all the time is no danger , but the folks that drop a fender (no fender boards) and hope it might stay in place are a problem.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #49

City: Kentucky
Move the boat! Although I really like the idea of positioning your boat generator exhaust closest to the sail boat for the night!
slowgoesit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #50
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowgoesit View Post
Move the boat! Although I really like the idea of positioning your boat generator exhaust closest to the sail boat for the night!
You might not feel that way in the morning if the folks are inside sleeping and get exposed to CO.

Another good reason to put contact info on your boat for others to see when you're not there. If someone called me asking if they could move my boat 20-50 ft to make room for another vessel, I'd probably say sure, go ahead if you have 2 people. If not, I'll come back to help.

Also to protect yourself against false claims if you move the boat, try to get someone to video the move so that at a later date, you can show no damage occurred.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #51
Guru

City: Gooding ID/Wrangell AK
Vessel Name: Silver Bay
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-002
If anyone has been to Auke Bay in Juneau in the summer, none of logic discussed in other posts applies in many cases. Auke Bay is as close to anarchy as any marina I have been too with the harbor office open. Moving boats is almost always required in the summer if you want to moor where you can get power. Sometimes you have to tie up on the outer breakwater send some over to move one or more boats and stay there to protect the open space you created from other boaters looking for space. All this happens with harbor personnel in the office or occasionally walking the docks. This is our least favorite marina to visit in SE Alaska. The only reason to stop is to make a Costco run.

Tom
tpbrady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:14 PM   #52
Arc

City: Long island
Vessel Model: Eastern
Here is the solution. Don’t move it just a few feet. Move it as far as possible but only move yours a few feet. Then they will think someone else pulled in between and left. Say nothing and enjoy the quietness.
Arc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #53
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Saw similar a couple times on the Erie Canal this summer. One was not a sailboat but a nice Eastbay. Tied up right smack in the middle of a hundred foot floating dock, climbed off and walked into town for dinner. I just have to let that kind of stuff go.

1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently moored in Englewood, Florida.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote