Old 09-24-2015, 02:33 PM   #21
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
On a sort of related topic... My harbor uses Helix moorings with 1.5:1 scope chain. And appropriate pennants. Talk about short scope! Anyway their policy is chain removal every 5 years and chain replacing every other cycle.

I amend that to simply putting on new 5/8" chain every 5 years. My pennant I take care of, replacing it every two years. Nylon gets hard and less stretchy after sun exposure. Being cheap with ground tackle leads to indigestion.

cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 02:53 PM   #22
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
Being cheap with ground tackle leads to indigestion.
Wifey B: And not the kind to be cured by Pepto Bismol.

BandB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:23 PM   #23
Guru

City: Gloucester, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
A mooring is just a fancy anchor. So you take the same steps and precautions with it you would with an anchor.

Two differences, one positive and one negative. It should be very well anchored and less likely to move than an anchor. It may be poorly anchored and you don't know as much about it as you do about your anchor.
And a mooring is and anchor that doesn't get hauled and inspected after every use.....
Old 09-24-2015, 11:46 PM   #24
Guru

Maritime here require you service your Maritime licensed mooring annually. Service involves a mooring contractor lifting the whole apparatus, block and all, checking it, replacing anything necessary, and dropping it back where it was. While it is up, your boat is attached to the contractors boat. Process takes maybe half an hour.
I think insurance requires the same procedure. Contractor told me some owners insist on watching, I saw it done by coincidence.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 12:21 AM   #25
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceK View Post
Maritime here require you service your Maritime licensed mooring annually. Service involves a mooring contractor lifting the whole apparatus, block and all, checking it, replacing anything necessary, and dropping it back where it was. While it is up, your boat is attached to the contractors boat. Process takes maybe half an hour.
I think insurance requires the same procedure. Contractor told me some owners insist on watching, I saw it done by coincidence.
I think mooring is much more common there. In some parts of the US it is quite minimal. There's also a good bit of opposition by some boaters to replacing free anchorages with paid mooring.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:17 AM   #26
TF Site Team

City: Brisbane
Vessel Name: Lotus
Vessel Model: Clipper (CHB) 34 Sedan/Europa style
Send a message via Skype™ to Peter B
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmason View Post
Craig,

You may be right, however he's been boating for many years. I think it's just his turn in the barrel. I guess he's on a steep learning curve.
Speaking for myself...I'd rather trust my own anchor than an unknown mooring any day, especially at night..!

What is it with people who are so nervous about anchoring, they would rather pay for a marina berth or pick up a mooring, which is infinitely more fiddly, even if it doesn't let go on you.
'course I do have a Sarca...
Old 09-25-2015, 06:27 AM   #27
Guru

City: North Carolina for now
Vessel Name: Small Incentive
Vessel Model: Boston Whaler 130 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I think mooring is much more common there. In some parts of the US it is quite minimal. There's also a good bit of opposition by some boaters to replacing free anchorages with paid mooring.
If you get to New England, beginning with Long Island Sound, you'll find moorings out number marina slips.

"There's the Right Way, the Wrong Way, and what some guy says he's gotten away with"
caltexflanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 10:19 AM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by caltexflanc View Post
If you get to New England, beginning with Long Island Sound, you'll find moorings out number marina slips.
We were just there and did see that. That's why I was careful to say some parts of the US. Long Island Sound would be interesting to know the numbers. While the mooring is quite visible, there are a lot of large marinas. Last time we moored was Catalina, but we just did so for the day. About a month later was when the storm hit there.
Old 09-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #29
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
The only time I've ever picked up a private mooring was off of an uninhabited cay in the Bahamas where some lobstermen leave their boats, unattended, during the offseason. There is a lot of current there and a hard scoured bottom. Tough holding.

I dove down and inspected the mooring...chain the size of my thigh shackled through an engine block that looked like it came out of an aircraft carrier. No pendent, so I tied directly to the chain.

Slept like a baby.

Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote