Old 08-04-2016, 10:49 AM   #1

City: Palm Harbor, Florida
Lightning strike

My wife and I were inside the boat at the marina last week when a lightning strike hit, possibly the water very close. Here are the two major problems that we encountered:
1. Yanmar 6LY3-UTP: 20 secs after starting engine, the "Oil Pressure" warning comes on and the tachometer does not work. Digital display.

2. Kohler 9E0ZD: 10 secs after starting, she shuts off, the "AF" code appears (Auxiliary fault input shutdown).

Any input, suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you,

panhead56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:04 AM   #2
Guru

City: East Greenwich Yacht Club, RI
Vessel Name: Bella
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
As was reported on another similar thread, lightning strike damage is insidious and it may take you quite a while to figure out everything that was affected.

Make an insurance claim, but don't settle until after the total costs are known. Your electronic Yanmar will be one of the bigger items, and even the best Yanmar mechanic won't know what it will cost until it is finished.

David

djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:12 AM   #3
Guru

It also may have done damage to things like:
Thru hulls
Swim platform brackets
Zincs
TVs
Etc.

The above have all happened at my marina when strikes were nearby.
Mystic,Ct
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

City: St. Marks, Florida
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead56 View Post
My wife and I were inside the boat at the marina last week when a lightning strike hit, possibly the water very close.
No way to know just exactly what your damage is, of course, but I can tell you what mine was when I took a lightning strike while heading across the Chesapeake Bay. All electronics zapped. Blew a 300-amp fuse which was protecting the battery boxes. Through-hulls were crystalized (discovered when they hauled it out at Zimmerman Boat Yard in Virginia). Insurance adjuster demonstrated that striking a through-hull with a hammer just made it crumble. Most severe damage, though, was my wife announcing in no uncertain terms that the five-year cruise was over, and that we were heading home. Scary!
Old 08-04-2016, 11:42 AM   #5

City: Dunedin, Fl
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead56 View Post
My wife and I were inside the boat at the marina last week when a lightning strike hit, possibly the water very close. Here are the two major problems that we encountered:
1. Yanmar 6LY3-UTP: 20 secs after starting engine, the "Oil Pressure" warning comes on and the tachometer does not work. Digital display.

2. Kohler 9E0ZD: 10 secs after starting, she shuts off, the "AF" code appears (Auxiliary fault input shutdown).

Thank you,

Panhead,
I live across the street from Homeport Marina. We've had some major storms come through our area in the past 2wks, no question.
Had a similar thing happen to our motorhome.
It took out 2 televisions, sat system, microwave, and every single charger/ac adapter that was plugged in, along with our big charger for the house batts.
So yeah, check EVERYTHING.

J&L
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:57 PM   #6
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Survive lightning strike two years ago....all 12 volt stuff shot except for one bilge pump. Genset windings looked fine except for a black hole the size of my thumb, all sensors shot or intermittent in operation, wire terminals crusted over with a caramel-like substance, still finding stuff.

"I'd rather be happy than dignified".
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote