Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-28-2019, 07:09 PM   #1
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,143
Lightest weight dinghy with steering

Shopping for a dinghy with steering. Small is ok, like 9 or 10 feet, but want a steering wheel and a bimini top. Perhaps a 15 hp motor.

What's out there thats super light?
__________________
Advertisement

__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 07:16 PM   #2
Guru
 
City: Z
Country: USA
Vessel Model: Beneteau Swift Trawler 44
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 734
I was trying to find one that could fit on my flybridge. In have a weight limit of 275 pounds. Once you factor in fuel, battery, etc, I was over 300.

Would be awesome if there were a light weight aluminum dinghy with console. I think the problem is the lightweight aluminum dinghys do not have flat floors.

You really need to be in the 10-11'+ range for a console to make sense otherwise the console takes up most of the space and there is nowhere for people to sit.

I dont see the value of a bimini on a small dinghy. Its going to act as a sale/friction slowing you down and you are not going to want tom hang on a small dinghy.
__________________

mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 08:19 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
JohnS's Avatar
 
City: Indianapolis
Country: USA
Vessel Name: MV La Vita Dolce
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 40 LRC
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 106
We are looking at Inmar aluminium series and North Atlantic Inflatables as possibilities, though without the console steering, as we are looking at boats in the 12 ft range, and need to keep weight down.
Inmar R380AL at 4700 in hypalon, NAI 12 ft, a bit wider, at 4000, also hypalon.
JohnS
JohnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 05:53 AM   #4
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
I was trying to find one that could fit on my flybridge. In have a weight limit of 275 pounds. Once you factor in fuel, battery, etc, I was over 300.

Would be awesome if there were a light weight aluminum dinghy with console. I think the problem is the lightweight aluminum dinghys do not have flat floors.

You really need to be in the 10-11'+ range for a console to make sense otherwise the console takes up most of the space and there is nowhere for people to sit.

I dont see the value of a bimini on a small dinghy. Its going to act as a sale/friction slowing you down and you are not going to want tom hang on a small dinghy.
My limit is 350 pounds and I could live with 10' to 11' (14' beam). Only need seating for two.

Bimini is a must in FL heat. Heck, I have a bimini on my kayak and love it!
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:34 AM   #5
Guru
 
jleonard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 3,423
I have a double hull fiberglass RIB that has a flat floor. It's an Achilles 10.4" no console.
A 15 hp 2 stroke is awesome power for it.
The hull is 160 lb, the engine is 80 lbs, 6 gallon tank and anchor, etc totals about 280 lb.
A 15 hp 4 stroke will add about 40 lbs which will be close to your limit.
But then you need a console.

Go to the Defender web site they have all the specs of what thy carry, can give you an idea what you're looking at.
__________________
Jay Leonard
Attitude Adjustment
40 Albin
Mystic,Ct. /New Port Richey,Fl
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:44 AM   #6
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,143
Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
I have a double hull fiberglass RIB that has a flat floor. It's an Achilles 10.4" no console.
A 15 hp 2 stroke is awesome power for it.
The hull is 160 lb, the engine is 80 lbs, 6 gallon tank and anchor, etc totals about 280 lb.
A 15 hp 4 stroke will add about 40 lbs which will be close to your limit.
But then you need a console.

Go to the Defender web site they have all the specs of what thy carry, can give you an idea what you're looking at.
Ah... Defender, great idea! Thx
__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 06:56 AM   #7
Guru
 
JohnP's Avatar
 
City: Toms River
Country: USA
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Ah... Defender, great idea! Thx

Second Defender---March sale right now--Check it out--lots of dinghy options
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:02 AM   #8
Guru
 
ranger42c's Avatar
 
City: Maryland
Country: USA
Vessel Model: 42' Sportfish
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 4,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
My limit is 350 pounds and I could live with 10' to 11' (14' beam). Only need seating for two.

Bimini is a must in FL heat. Heck, I have a bimini on my kayak and love it!

We have a Walker Bay Genesis 310FTD (folding transom, "deluxe") RIB... some kind of plastic, not fiberglass, internal floor, weighs I think 135-lbs bare. Rated for 15-hp.

Our outboard (Suzuki DF-15A, fuel injected, battery start) adds another 107-lbs. At the time, it was about the lightest 15/20-HP available, although I then chose the battery-start model which brought ours up to 107. (And then there's the additional weight of the battery, not huge.)

Walker Bay makes a console version of that dinghy, but I don't remember the weight; info probably on their website. Rated for 20-hp, so the DF-20A could be a choice. I think all that would still be within your weight limit.

(I still consider adding the console to be an option for our RIB; I'd keep the DF-15A and just re-rig for console control.)

Not a recommendation, just factoids for your consideration.

When I was shopping for all that, another options was a bare stainless helm station made by St. Croix at the time. According to WB at the time, that couldn't be fitted to the 310FTD... although that may have really meant they didn't want to undercut sales of their own console. I don't know if St. Croix still makes that helm assembly, but it could be something to look at for other RIBs.

-Chris
__________________
South River, Chesapeake Bay
ranger42c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 07:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member
 
Miss Rachel's Avatar
 
City: Stuart
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Rachel
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48AE
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 51
AB "Lammina" 10 AL - 10' 6" aluminum hull - 117 LBS
Add optional steering console - 33 Lbs
Add optional bench seat w/ storage - 48 lbs
Yamaha 15hp 4 stroke - 111 lbs.

Total weight 309

This is essentially a lighter weight "Alumina" model without the step pads, running lights, fold down cleats, etc.

I have the above described dinghy except I wanted a fuel injected engine - so 25 hp Yamaha. Yamaha now makes a 20hp injected engine. It is a detuned 25, weighs the same as the 25.
Miss Rachel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 08:33 AM   #10
Guru
 
Seevee's Avatar
 
City: st pete
Country: usa
Vessel Model: 400 Mainship
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 2,143
Miss Rachel and ranger42c,

Both excellent options, thanks!
__________________

__________________
Seevee
Seevee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012