Old 10-16-2016, 04:59 AM   #1

City: Bucksport, Maine
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
Lighter subject...coffee! :)

What with all the storms and political uproars and kerfuffles, I thought I'd share my recent experience with something near and dear to many of our hearts...COFFEE.

For a bit of context, we are big coffee drinkers in our house. We own a Jurra Cappressa, which for those not familiar with, is an insanely expensive European coffee machine that produces everything from a regular cup of coffee down to espresso shots. And before you ask, NO, I did NOT pay any where near retail for the machine, although for those considering a high-end machine, ours has currently brewed slightly more than 37,000 cups of trouble free coffee.

The issue is that while my Admiral LOVES the coffee this machine makes, I can't stand it. She's always been a Starbucks gal, I've always been a Dunkin's guy. I've used several "alternatives" such as a french press (pain to clean), K-cups (pretty expensive), etc.

On a recent trip to Publix, I noticed in the refrigerator case, a collection of "cold-brew" coffees. I recalled having cold-brewed coffee in New Orleans years ago, so I bought a bottle to try. For those unfamiliar, cold-brewed coffee produces a coffee concentrate that you mix with hot water, much like a cup of tea, with the theory being that because the coffee grounds never come in contact with boiling water, many of the harsh/bitter acids are not released, producing a much smoother cup of coffee.

The product I purchased came in a plastic bottle that was VERY reminiscent of smaller, 2 cycle oil bottles that have the little separate compartment on the top that you "squeeze" full of oil as a means of measurement.

I tried the coffee, and it really was great. You can easily vary the strength, and it's just EASY. Boil some water, and you get an excellent cup of coffee, and about the only thing that requires cleanup is your favorite coffee mug.

The spurred a bit of research to see how hard it would be to make this nectar of the coffee gods at home. For about $40, the good folks at Amazon delivered a Filtron coffee brewer to my doorstep.
You add a pound of ground coffee, let it sit for 24hrs, and drain the concentrate into the included carafe. I actually kept two of the store-bought bottles with the squeeze tops that I use to store my concentrate in.

We have an electric tea kettle that sits on the counter...so when I get up, I hit the button, and take my little plastic bottle out, grab a mug, and a few seconds later, a perfectly brewed, smooooooooth cup of coffee.

When we were enjoying summers on Whistful, our MT 34 which was berthed up in a river in Maine, we went through a few different coffee pots/methods, and now, with our motorhome, the last thing that gets moved is the Jura, she simply won't leave home without it, but for me, I think I've found the perfect solution to my addiction
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:28 AM   #2
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Cruising in the trawler as I type. Cup of Nespresso by my side. Had to upgrade the Magnum Energy inverter to the pure sine wave model so that the Nespresso machine would be happy. The things we do for our cup of coffee in the morning.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:44 AM   #3
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
I too, love my coffee. I've tried all types of machines -- percolators and drippers and steamers and pods, but my favourite coffee making machine is still a good quality double walled stainless steel french press. With a nice dark roasted freshly ground coffee, you can't go wrong. They use no power, they are virtually unbreakable, and the coffee stays hot for over an hour. It is a travel companion wherever I go.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
Cruising in the trawler as I type. Cup of Nespresso by my side. Had to upgrade the Magnum Energy inverter to the pure sine wave model so that the Nespresso machine would be happy. The things we do for our cup of coffee in the morning.

Ted
We sampled the Nespresso a few times. Wife gave it thumbs up due to the crema factor, which is what she loves about the Jura.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
OK guys, sacrilege to most here, but this is my offer to a simple solution to the coffee problem while cruising. Lou is a light sleeper. I have tried most things to be quiet in the early mornings including a 1 burner butane stove on the helm deck. Too much trouble. I will just come right out, and say it. Instant coffee. That's right instant coffee. Starbucks Via makes a nice cup, but it's pricey. While browsing the market shelves I ran across Nestles Tasters Choice 100% Columbian in 1 cup tube packs. About 20 cents per cup. It was worth a try, and made an amazingly good cup. Don't knock it until you try it. What could be simpler; boil water, pour over, and enjoy. I'm going to my hidey hole now to be ready for the onslaught. This is the price for doing a public service.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:25 AM   #6

City: Oakland
Vessel Name: Arcangel
Vessel Model: Buewater 40
Big coffee drinkers here... After years using a percolator, we got a Keurig Riva.. we love cappuccinos and lattes and this machine work flawless!!
Only problem like all keurig need special cups (different than others and kind of expensive)
But let me tell you something.. lack of coffee cup on board conduct to a immediate mutin few weeks ago... I fact, we abort a cruise due lack of coffee
garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #7

City: Oakland
Vessel Name: Arcangel
Vessel Model: Buewater 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
We sampled the Nespresso a few times. Wife gave it thumbs up due to the crema factor, which is what she loves about the Jura.
We want to tried the Nespresso... more compact machine than our Riva.... I was afraid about support on 2 or 3 years with the cups... we choose keurig
garrobito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
OK guys, sacrilege to most here, but this is my offer to a simple solution to the coffee problem while cruising. Lou is a light sleeper. I have tried most things to be quiet in the early mornings including a 1 burner butane stove on the helm deck. Too much trouble. I will just come right out, and say it. Instant coffee. That's right instant coffee. Starbucks Via makes a nice cup, but it's pricey. While browsing the market shelves I ran across Nestles Tasters Choice 100% Columbian in 1 cup tube packs. About 20 cents per cup. It was worth a try, and made an amazingly good cup. Don't knock it until you try it. What could be simpler; boil water, pour over, and enjoy. I'm going to my hidey hole now to be ready for the onslaught. This is the price for doing a public service.
My cold-brew system is pretty much the same as your instant, but you can do it with ANY ground coffee, so a bit more of a selection. Once I brew a pound, it lasts me for a week or two , but I think that generally, they'd lump us both in the same boat, so to speak
Old 10-16-2016, 10:20 AM   #9
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I like to actually GO to Starbucks. And then once I'm there I get coffee that's better than any other that I've experienced. So after breakfast that's where I'm going.
Oh and I do a lot of posting on TF at Starbucks. Do I need to get wired to make an interesting post? ..... No.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:36 AM   #10
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
French Press. One at home. One at work. One on the boat. All Bodums. The one on the boat is celebrating its 25th birthday soon. Also have a hand driven Hario ceramic burr grinder for the boat.

Simple, and good enough for me.

I have a drip coffee maker as well at home, only in use if there is a quorum of coffee consumers present.

I have also purchased the micro ground freeze dried stuff from Starbucks if I have to be quiet on the boat or if in a hurry at work. It's OK.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #11
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Love the onboard coffee, too. We use a small Keurig with San Francisco Bay French Roast 'pouch cups' from Rogers Coffee Company. The 'cups' are 95% biodegradable and the coffee is strong but smooth. My coffee costs $0.30-0.35 per cup, delivered to my door.

I like the idea of the cold brewed alternative. I'll have to get some to try onboard. Thanks for the suggestion.

Instant coffee? Taster's Choice? Don, I'm really surprised at you... (insert head shake here)

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:34 PM   #12
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
This is the only espresso maker we carry aboard. All you need is a source of hot water (and coffee) with the operation being much like a bicycle pump. They even have a 12V system made for cars which is fully automatic.
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:36 PM   #13
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Some of you guys sound a bit like the wine snobs that about in the eastern Washington wine country. In a 25 mile radius from where we live there must be 50-75 wineries, so the wine snobs abound.

Me? I like my cup of coffee in the morning, especially on the boat. To get the perfect cup I use the onboard coffee maker. When I roll out of bed the first thing I do is set up and turn on the built-in coffee maker. When I done with my morning activities the coffee is hot and ready to drink. I pour it into a carafe so it stays hot, pour a cup and settle back to ponder the wonders of having coffee on a boat.
Old 10-16-2016, 03:08 PM   #14
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Wifey B: Coffee isn't a lighter subject, it's a dark subject.

As a non-coffee drinker, instant was always our solution for guests.

Now, we have some fancy machine and I don't know anything about it although hubby and I did share a cup of coffee after locking the other morning with it 38 degrees out. We've been married 15 years and maybe had 7 cups of coffee.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #15
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We have a Ninja Coffee Bar that is the daily go-to.Brews anything from a cup to a full pot and does it perfectly every time.

On the hook, the French press is the tool of choice.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:10 PM   #16
Guru

City: Columbia City, OR & Mulege, BCS
Vessel Name: Imagine
Vessel Model: Farrell 34
Bialetti Moka Express here, poured down the middle of half-mug of hot milk with a bit of sugar. Great way to start the day or the diesel!
GoneFarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:40 PM   #17
Guru

City: Sydney
Starbucks isn't coffee.
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:43 PM   #18
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Instant coffee? Taster's Choice? Don, I'm really surprised at you... (insert head shake here)
Give me a break, Al. I'm from Tennessee, don't get out much, and haven't been exposed to the finer things. Try it you may like it. I get it at our gourmet food store---Walmart.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:11 PM   #19

City: Fayetteville, NC
Vessel Name: Dirty Deeds
Vessel Model: Maritimo 48
I've been thinking about trying cold brew for some time; thanks for the prod.

We use a Keurig on the boat, because I like coffee and she likes tea. And if someone on board wants hot chocolate, you can brew that as well. The Keurig is pricey/cup but convenient.
ABfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 05:34 PM   #20
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Espresso machine on the boat, smaller than the one at home but makes good coffee, Freshly ground, we have a simple grinder on board, but a burr grinder at home. I`m considering a pod machine, quicker cleaner faster. Cruising we get asked for take aways by buddy boats. We also get "coffee boats" with espresso machines, pastries, newspapers, cruising popular anchorages at breakfast time on weekends & holidays.
I don`t mind Starbucks, good for breakfast/coffee in US/Canada. Lots of small non chain coffee shops here, usually find one at larger marinas.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote