Lighter subject...coffee! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BandB, I have been impressed with the two of you as boat hosts. You seem very generous, considerate, and responsible. Your approach to coffee is simply another example of that. A good host who does not drink coffee themselves would provide basic coffee, sugar, and creamer for their guests. A Keurig is a very considerate and convenient way to do that. To offer a variety of different flavors etc really goes above and beyond. I love coffee but am not a coffee snob. Like beer, I can be happy with most any decent coffee (Bud lite is no more a decent brew than instant coffee).

Given the consideration you show your guests, it is no wonder that you often have a boat full of them.

Thank you, but we really don't feel like we're doing anything special. We get pleasure with others enjoying. The Keurig is actually the easy way out and then once you do that variety is easy. We're lazy hosts. In fact, we don't even make their cups of coffee, all is do it yourself.

Maybe if you drank coffee you'd know of the delicious taste of "iced-coffee". Several added items can enhance the flavor and some things can be added to enhance life, in general... for a short time anyway... like rum or Kahlua!! :thumb: :D

:popcorn: :whistling:

PS: Yeah... what Dave says - I completely agree on your hospitality quotient.

Wifey B: We're fixated on water. :) We really drink no other non-alcoholic drink (well, editing to occasional juice) and on the occasions we drink alcohol it's most likely to be champagne unless wine at a fancy restaurant and occasional mixed drinks. No coffee, no soft drinks, no beer (I know that sounds horrifying to some).

It's easy to do the coffee bit and doesn't impact us at all. And before going overboard on gracious host, we don't allow things or support things that impact us. For instance, no smoking in our home, in our business, on our boats, or in our cars. No alcohol while underway either. So we try to be nice but we have self serving limits too. I'd like to claim to be an :angel: but not. Not a :devil: either. Just a somewhat but not too normal, a bit strange, maybe a lot strange is more like it, non-conformist who does things her way. :whistling:

It's easy to do the coffee bit and doesn't impact us at all. And before going overboard on gracious host, we don't allow things or support things that impact us. For instance, no smoking in our home, in our business, on our boats, or in our cars. No alcohol while underway either. So we try to be nice but we have self serving limits too.

Hence the point I made that being generous, gracious, and responsible.

The best coffee is Mexican Coffee...a cup of coffee, black, Kahlua to taste, topped off with whipped cream and a sprinklin' if nutmeg. My Sicilian makes these for our on-board guests.

I've gone full circle with coffee. Hated it in college but drank it to stay awake. That is, until I discovered Jolt cola, which I don't think exists anymore. The tag line for Jolt was "all the sugar and twice the caffeine". Bad timing as this was around the time when people started to think about healthier diets.

Anyways, back to coffee. I grew up in New England and there was a Dunkin Donuts on just about every major street. In fact, often on both sides of the street! People thought Starbucks was for coffee snobs out west. Got totally hooked on Dunkin. And their coffee rolls were yummy. This was before I hit 40 so could eat whatever I wanted.

Then I moved west, and had high anxiety over not having any D&D in my area. Got hooked on Starbucks...for a while anyway. Slowly started to introduce Peets into the mix, especially their French Roast. Got hooked on that. Couldn't drink Starbucks anymore. Found it to be bitter, acidic and just plain bad once I got used to Peets.

Then came Philz coffee in the SF Bay Area. Started drinking Philz and really liked it. Got hooked on that, and couldn't drink Peets anymore. Philz was smooth, low acidity, and very rich as well.

Then my acid reflux started to act up and decided coffee was probably not the best thing for me. I tried cold brew for as bit, and it was great. But ultimately I decided to get serious about controlling my reflux and quit cold turkey.

AND IT'S BEEN AWFUL!!! I SO MISS SIPPING MY MORNING COFFEE!!!

:cry::cry::banghead::banghead::censored::censored:

P.S. After getting hooked on darker, richer coffee I went back to Boston and had a Dunkin Donuts coffee. I was so excited to go back to my coffee roots! Anyway, I almost spit it out. It literally tasted like water with a few spoonfuls of coffee mixed in. Incredibly weak compared to what my taste buds brew accustomed to.

Last edited:
Here in Louisiana you can buy fresh Community beans at most grocery stores. Grind them there or do it at home. Best done a french press.

Back
Top Bottom