Lighter subject...coffee! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stop it. Now. I just got transported back to Tim Hortons. A real danger zone.

Bruce - Please do not mention Timmy's again. It makes me ashamed of my Canadian heritage.

really - I almost vomit from the smell of a Tim Hortons French Vanilla coffee.

Bruce - Please do not mention Timmy's again. It makes me ashamed of my Canadian heritage.

really - I almost vomit from the smell of a Tim Hortons French Vanilla coffee.
It may have improved, years ago there was no option of unadulterated coffee flavor. Last May their coffee was more like, well, coffee. The donuts were addictive, it still shows. In Vancouver a Starbucks and a Tim Hortons were operating side by side, in a city office building foyer. Maybe someone owned both franchises.

Our current favorite is Finca Vista Hermosa from our friend Edwin Martinez in Guatemala. 2nd on the list is Morning Roast from Blue Star Roasters in Twisp, Washington.

We usually enjoy as a pour over or in a vacuum pot both at home or on Ebbtide.

OK - Think this is the thread I posted on... saying I'd try internet offered "Community Coffee"; and, then provide my report.

Well, I did try it and will continue to use it for a long time. Makes damn good mud at really good prices... especially when ordered in bulk.

I recommend Community Coffee! :thumb:

Art

OK - Think this is the thread I posted on... saying I'd try internet offered "Community Coffee"; and, then provide my report.

Well, I did try it and will continue to use it for a long time. Makes damn good mud at really good prices... especially when ordered in bulk.

I recommend Community Coffee! :thumb:

Art

How are their prices? I'm curious as all I know is pods like Keurig and Community is actually more expensive than they are, which surprised me a bit. Don't know if worth it or not. Ordered a few just to let our coffee drinkers test.

I have been known to pour a healthy dose of Rum in coffee, for medicinal reasons. Currently using a percolator for our coffee.

How are their prices? I'm curious as all I know is pods like Keurig and Community is actually more expensive than they are, which surprised me a bit. Don't know if worth it or not. Ordered a few just to let our coffee drinkers test.

How are their prices?

Very affordable for what I feel is good coffee. Go to their website. Once a customer they offer great discounts. Like... on their $14.99 for 32 oz. if a few sacks are ordered at same time another 15 to 20 % discount with free shipping is sometimes applied. We like their bold French coffee. Found that by calling on phone there can be "deals" made... under the restrictions of what the company will allow at the time.

I've found that phone calls may work wonders to net based dealers. Like... I recently needed new battery for a Dell lap top. No discounts offered on the net. I called and by request was provided 20% discount with free shipping included. :thumb:

Fresh coffee and pastries delivered right to your boat ...Avalon Harbor.

Attachments

• P1010047.jpg
    P1010047.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 58
How are their prices?

I've found that phone calls may work wonders to net based dealers. Like... I recently needed new battery for a Dell lap top. No discounts offered on the net. I called and by request was provided 20% discount with free shipping included. :thumb:

I long ago found that with hotels and I've found it with marinas too. Person to person people are just more likely to make the extra effort.

Fresh coffee and pastries delivered right to your boat ...Avalon Harbor.

Just about any other drug... they'd be arrested by the CG or local authorities. Gotta Luv Coffee!! :thumb:

Although, in recent days... too much in one's system can get cha a DUI! :facepalm:

Towards the end of my 3 month cruise my Nespresso Pixie crapped out. I tried repairing it but it died again after leaving a port that I could possibly have got a replacement. So it was down to emergency rations - a jar of instant that one of my daughter's keep on board. I barely survived the week it took to get back home!

A new Pixie was installed as first item on To Do list. Having seen a few posts about the cold options I'll need to investigate shelf life etc and maybe add some to the spares inventory. Or maybe some single serve sachets for the French Press. I don't want to end up with Instant again!

Having seen a few posts about the cold options I'll need to investigate shelf life etc and maybe add some to the spares inventory. Or maybe some single serve sachets for the French Press. I don't want to end up with Instant again!

Several members of my family make the cold concentrate. I have done it in the past also. My sister the officinado, discover that you can freeze the concentrate for over a month without any change. My nephew when he's in a rush, will do a shot of the concentrate before heading off to work. May have to give it another try.

Ted

Fun read. I'm ordering a trial batch from Community Coffee.

We decided to try a 12 pack of each K-Cup pod. So 16 dozen should give enough to get some feedback from the coffee drinkers. The biggest thing that jumps out at one when talking pods is that there are so few options. Keurig has around 200 options including teas, cocoa, and other.

Coffee is a challenge for non coffee drinkers to figure out. We basically make a lot of choices available and then judge based on usage by our guests. What I'm talking about here is for both home and boat.

I know to some traditionalists this may be heresy but we only use pods. Our family and friends have a wide variety of preferences and having choices outweighs any preferred coffee. We have some who don't want anything fancy, just basic coffees, then the Starbucks only fans, then some who like to try everything different, and then the tea drinkers. Less than half of our typical groups of people drink coffee.

Those under 50 are very much traditionalists when it comes to coffee and all seem to drink coffee. Only about a quarter of those under 35 drink coffee and of those who do, none of them drink traditional coffee, all going for different flavors. Among the traditionalists, I've been surprised how Dunkin Donuts is the overwhelming favorite. Among the younger coffee drinkers, it's Starbucks.

We decided to try a 12 pack of each K-Cup pod. So 16 dozen should give enough to get some feedback from the coffee drinkers. The biggest thing that jumps out at one when talking pods is that there are so few options. Keurig has around 200 options including teas, cocoa, and other.

Coffee is a challenge for non coffee drinkers to figure out. We basically make a lot of choices available and then judge based on usage by our guests. What I'm talking about here is for both home and boat.

I know to some traditionalists this may be heresy but we only use pods. Our family and friends have a wide variety of preferences and having choices outweighs any preferred coffee. We have some who don't want anything fancy, just basic coffees, then the Starbucks only fans, then some who like to try everything different, and then the tea drinkers. Less than half of our typical groups of people drink coffee.

Those under 50 are very much traditionalists when it comes to coffee and all seem to drink coffee. Only about a quarter of those under 35 drink coffee and of those who do, none of them drink traditional coffee, all going for different flavors. Among the traditionalists, I've been surprised how Dunkin Donuts is the overwhelming favorite. Among the younger coffee drinkers, it's Starbucks.

Face it - no matter what way coffee's colored nor which way it's use is stated or how it's brewed... addiction is addiction! LOL

I'm hooked on Starbucks dark roast.

I'd drink around but how much crappy and weak coffee would I have to drink to find something comparable. And if I did what would that accomplish?

Could be closser to home .. I guess. Or even in the home Hmmmm

I'd drink around but how much crappy and weak coffee would I have to drink to find something comparable. And if I did what would that accomplish?

I've been told the Starbucks Dark Roast sold by Keurig is very comparable to the store, although lacking the price and experience.

We've tried several options at sea and have now settled on an old-fashioned melita, Pyrex carafe and plastic funnel. We use less water washing up than the French press or percolator that we have also tried. The percolator was too inconsistent.

I got a Melita cone off Amazon that is designed to fit in thermos or carafe. Best solution for us.

Eric,
We used to drink mostly Starbucks and then went through the drinking around phase after we got to Anacortes. I tried quite a few from Mocha Joe's near Anacortes. They have a variety of roasts and you can get smaller quantities to test from their bulk bin dispensers. But, we settled on a new preference of the Brown Bear roast from Wood's Coffee in Burlington or Mt Vernon, whole bean, of course, which is ground just before brewing.

We use a percolator, but that's only for heating the water. The brewing is done in an AeroPress. I have had a couple of them in use since about 2005-6, not long after they came on the market. The brew is customizable per cup if desired. It makes a great cup of coffee. Clean up is super easy. If not in primary use, it would be a great backup on a boat also. Before I started working from home, I used to carry one to work in my backpack and brew from the hot water dispenser at the office. The improved quality of coffee over the office stuff was worth the extra effort to me.

Tim

I'm still doing the Filtron cold-brew method that I tried back when I started this thread.
I've used several different coffees now, including Community.
I find that without the bitterness introduced by the oils in some of the darker roasts, they're quite enjoyable when cold-brewed.
Now I keep my eyes open at Publix for their BoGo coffee sales and load up.

Community Coffee is usually available at Publix in FL. I asked about the coffee that Paul Prudhomme serves in K Pauls Louisiana Kitchen. You guessed it. Community Coffee.

Last edited:

"Well, I did try it and will continue to use it for a long time. Makes damn good mud at really good prices... especially when ordered in bulk.

I recommend Community Coffee!

Art"

Art, when I was a banker Community Coffee was a customer of mine. Loved to go the the receiving warehouse on the MS River in Baton Rouge and watch the old hands around the tasting table checking out the coffee beans as they arrived by ship.

Since we are not coffee drinkers, our Community order just arrived, and we're actually in our office today, we decided to do a little taste test here. Note that this is also through Keurig. Very small initial sample group of coffee drinkers.

Overall good reaction. The real coffee drinkers liked trying different flavors. The regular roasts, they said were fine but no better or worse than what we had already. The Columbia Altur and Columbia Dark and Mardi Gras and Pecan Praline got strong thumbs up. A serious coffee drinker liked the Coffee and Chicory. The regular dark and medium roasts were fine but they didn't rate better than what they were already drinking. Overall, there are some flavors they definitely want us to add to what is normally there and then others that they'd probably stick to the Keurig Starbucks. It was interesting and I know those who travel with us on the boat and those at our home are just the type who like variety.

We enjoyed watching people trying. We're definitely going to buy more product. Hopefully then we'll drop some of our others. Wish we drank coffee so we could actually judge ourselves.

At home, on the boat, in the office, we just reorder based on what's been used. Will be interesting over time to compare the Community to the Keurig coffee we purchase.

B - Coffee drinkers live longer and have more fun... besides getting 2 to 4 points added to IQ ratio! Jus sayen!! :thumb: :rofl:

B - Coffee drinkers live longer and have more fun... besides getting 2 to 4 points added to IQ ratio! Jus sayen!! :thumb: :rofl:

Wifey B: No, blondes have more fun! And guys married to blondes have even more. :angel:

I've read things on coffee benefits. Just neither of us likes hot drinks, not coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. Guess I'll just stay dumb and die a day sooner. :rolleyes:

In the early 1950s, when I was a young and callow fellow, in the summers I would travel with my Dad. One of his lines was institutional and restaurant coffee. He told me then that Colombian was the best coffee available at the time. When I asked why, he said that it was smoother and had a longer pot life. That is why restaurants would use it. As for Community Coffee I prefer the Colombian or with chicory. I am drinking a cup of Costco 100% Colombian Supremo Bean - fine grind. At $9.95 for 3 full pounds it is an absolute bargain, and makes a great cup of coffee.

Last edited:
Since we are not coffee drinkers, our Community order just arrived, and we're actually in our office today, we decided to do a little taste test here. Note that this is also through Keurig. Very small initial sample group of coffee drinkers.

Overall good reaction. The real coffee drinkers liked trying different flavors. The regular roasts, they said were fine but no better or worse than what we had already. The Columbia Altur and Columbia Dark and Mardi Gras and Pecan Praline got strong thumbs up. A serious coffee drinker liked the Coffee and Chicory. The regular dark and medium roasts were fine but they didn't rate better than what they were already drinking. Overall, there are some flavors they definitely want us to add to what is normally there and then others that they'd probably stick to the Keurig Starbucks. It was interesting and I know those who travel with us on the boat and those at our home are just the type who like variety.

We enjoyed watching people trying. We're definitely going to buy more product. Hopefully then we'll drop some of our others. Wish we drank coffee so we could actually judge ourselves.

At home, on the boat, in the office, we just reorder based on what's been used. Will be interesting over time to compare the Community to the Keurig coffee we purchase.

BandB, I have been impressed with the two of you as boat hosts. You seem very generous, considerate, and responsible. Your approach to coffee is simply another example of that. A good host who does not drink coffee themselves would provide basic coffee, sugar, and creamer for their guests. A Keurig is a very considerate and convenient way to do that. To offer a variety of different flavors etc really goes above and beyond. I love coffee but am not a coffee snob. Like beer, I can be happy with most any decent coffee (Bud lite is no more a decent brew than instant coffee).

Given the consideration you show your guests, it is no wonder that you often have a boat full of them.

Wifey B: No, blondes have more fun! And guys married to blondes have even more. :angel:

I've read things on coffee benefits. Just neither of us likes hot drinks, not coffee, tea, or hot chocolate. Guess I'll just stay dumb and die a day sooner. :rolleyes:

Maybe if you drank coffee you'd know of the delicious taste of "iced-coffee". Several added items can enhance the flavor and some things can be added to enhance life, in general... for a short time anyway... like rum or Kahlua!! :thumb: :D

:popcorn: :whistling:

PS: Yeah... what Dave says - I completely agree on your hospitality quotient.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom