Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #21

City: Huntsville, AL
Vessel Name: Sea Note
Vessel Model: Mainship 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
OK guys, sacrilege to most here, but this is my offer to a simple solution to the coffee problem while cruising. Lou is a light sleeper. I have tried most things to be quiet in the early mornings including a 1 burner butane stove on the helm deck. Too much trouble. I will just come right out, and say it. Instant coffee. That's right instant coffee. Starbucks Via makes a nice cup, but it's pricey. While browsing the market shelves I ran across Nestles Tasters Choice 100% Columbian in 1 cup tube packs. About 20 cents per cup. It was worth a try, and made an amazingly good cup. Don't knock it until you try it. What could be simpler; boil water, pour over, and enjoy. I'm going to my hidey hole now to be ready for the onslaught. This is the price for doing a public service.

And Don, You can also take the little packet of instant use in lieu of espresso for your early morning Espresso Martini. One shot Vodka, shot of Godiva's, packet of Nestles Tasters Choice Shake like crazy add ice shake some more and Viola!
Life is too short to stop for "just coffee"!

Toolbuddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:13 PM   #22

City: miami
Cuban coffee for us. We use a basic range top espresso maker. Delivers about half a cup of strong cuban brew. Cuban coffee is consumed in smaller espresso cups. Dark, bold and incredibly strong. It doesn't take much to get anyone going. Can't live without it. Pilon or Bustello brand coffee.

mariog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #23
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck View Post
Give me a break, Al. I'm from Tennessee, don't get out much, and haven't been exposed to the finer things. Try it you may like it. I get it at our gourmet food store---Walmart.
ROFLMAO!! I suspect it has more to do with being a Friend of Jack than the Walmart connection!

Custom Google Trawler Forum Search
FlyWright is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 09:50 PM   #24
Guru

City: LaConner
Vessel Model: 34' CHB
At home we use two different drip makers, my two cupper and the wifes 8 cupper. Her coffee smells and tastes like paint thinner. Mine is much better, taste like coffee. On the boat I like to perc it old style in a metal percolator over flame. Very pedestrian I know... I remember the best boat coffee I ever had was on a local tug called the CRANE. We were towing logs in the Sound and the cook used to break an egg in the grounds and perk it on the old oil stove. Best coffee ever.
78puget-trawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:21 PM   #25
Guru

City: Lions Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
Lighter subject...coffee! :)

We've tried several options at sea and have now settled on an old-fashioned melita, Pyrex carafe and plastic funnel. We use less water washing up than the French press or percolator that we have also tried. The percolator was too inconsistent.
JDCAVE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:25 PM   #26

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Safe Harbour
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Nespresso and French press on my boat.

Nespresso is good (not as good as well made manual espresso) and the machine is compact, super easy to use, and perfectly consistent. The real problem for long voyages is stocking enough capsules for the whole trip, since they aren't easy to find in retail stores!

Oh, they need pure sine wave power...
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:32 PM   #27
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
You'd like the coffee we made on the gold dredges in Western Alaska. Big pot on the wood stove (hot), get water out of the creek, boil water, put in Hill's Brothers Reg grind coffee and stir till it boils. Immediately cease stiring (gladly cause you're very hot from the stove) take the pot off the stove and slop a short cup of cold water on the hot coffee. Wait 2minutes to settle. Pour off into cups. Pour slowly (w/o tilting the pot back) to not include grounds. Pour off (slowly) the remaining coffee into another container and huck out the dreggs.
It's very hard to do it right. Took me a week of practice.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:34 PM   #28
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
ROFLMAO!! I suspect it has more to do with being a Friend of Jack than the Walmart connection!
Well, Al, now that you mentioned it a little Jack in the Joe is mighty fine.

Right, Toolbuddie. Sometimes is seems that life is too short for just coffee.
http://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:37 PM   #29
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: 2011 Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Never made coffee for myself. Rarely accept coffee brewed by others. Occasionally order coffee at a restaurant if in a weak mood. Drink it black, thank you.
Old 10-16-2016, 11:54 PM   #30

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Panache
Vessel Model: Viking 43 Double Cabin '76
Cool Brew, Lobstah. Started by a NewOrleans pharmacist looking for good low acid coffee (supposedly). Kind of a local brand, but on Amazon at too high price. That's all we use at home & on boat.
sbu22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 12:15 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

For sure the thread shows that coffee is not a lighter subject on TF
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:26 AM   #32

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: C:\[ESC]
Vessel Model: 1983 Fu Hwa Seahorse
Send a message via Skype™ to mattkab
Real men drink their coffee black...

... so of course I drink mine with milk, sugar, and/or cream.

When at home or aboard and not doing a drive-through, I use the instant vanilla latte packets that Starbucks sells, a kurig with Cappuccino kups, or instant Folgers with powdered creamer.

But, funny thing about coffee and me: the first time I ever had coffee, I was fishing in the ocean with my dad on a 10' inflatable. I was cold and hungry, so he gave me a piece of dark chocolate and a cup of coffee from his plastic thermos lid. The thermos had been sitting in the bottom of the boat so he reached overboard and rinsed it out with seawater before filing it.

To this day I will sometimes put a tiny bit of salt in my coffee as that's how I first tasted it, and that's how it is "right".
mattkab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 01:34 AM   #33

City: Portland, OR
Vessel Name: Airship
Vessel Model: 2013 Nordic Tug 34
We use Nespresso on our boat, and in our Airstream trailer. We've spent about 500 nights aboard the boat and probably have 2-3 cups per person per day. We've spent over 750 nights in the Airstream with the same consumption. Both machines have been rock solid (Nespresso Pixie)

The quality of the espresso is very good. The Nespresso milk foamer also works really well. It takes around a minute from a cold start to be drinking a cappuccino. The total power consumption is actually very low because of the short duty cycle.

As stated above, they do need pure sine wave power.
tfmkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 05:51 AM   #34

City: Dunedin, Fl
Vessel Name: T/T Whistful
Vessel Model: Boat US 12' Inflatable
Just as a side note:
One thing many people aren't aware of because it's kind of counter-intuitive, the darker the roast, the LESS caffeine in the coffee. Roasting actually destroys caffeine, so those seeking that "shot" or "boost" should lean towards light-medium roasts. Very dark roasts, typically served at a Starbucks, has less go-getum juice than regular coffee, even tho the flavor is stronger.
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:02 AM   #35
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
I have a french press at home but on the boat it's two spoonfuls of hot chocolate and one spoonful of instant coffee, making me a budget minded, easy clean, up no messy coffee grounds to deal with Mocha-Man.

Also, if it's really cold out, I'll make a concoction called Jump-Up-Go-Go! which I first created while camping in the mountains at -20 Celsius. First you make spearmint tea, then you add the hot chocolate & coffee, then melt in 1/3 of a Mars Bar.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:08 AM   #36
Guru

City: Rodney Bay Lagoon
Vessel Name: "Dragon Lady"
Vessel Model: DeFever 41
I have a Keurig machine and use Dunkin Donuts coffee in it. Don't forget that Keurig make a refillable/washable cartridge called My K-Cup for the economy-minded.
Shoalwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #37
Veteran Member

City: brisbane
I use a stovetop espresso maker, or specifically a Bialetti stainless steel 6 cup version (that is 6 espresso shots, equivalent to a couple of normal cups!) Love it and make good coffee each and every time!

I have also been experimenting with pour over coffee making, as one of my coffeesnob friends claims that once you get the technique right, it makes the smoothest coffee possible. I am not so sure, but maybe my technique needs more work so I'll keep in experimenting some more, but it does seem to give a very good caffeine hit!

marcoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #38

City: Seabrook, Texas
Vessel Name: Small World
Vessel Model: Defever 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
Just as a side note:
One thing many people aren't aware of because it's kind of counter-intuitive, the darker the roast, the LESS caffeine in the coffee. Roasting actually destroys caffeine, so those seeking that "shot" or "boost" should lean towards light-medium roasts. Very dark roasts, typically served at a Starbucks, has less go-getum juice than regular coffee, even tho the flavor is stronger.
Mmmm, I didn't know that. Learn something every day.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:26 AM   #39
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobstah View Post
Just as a side note:
I'll stick with me dark roast!

The myth that lighter roasts have more caffeine is created by associating caffeine with bean size
https://driftaway.coffee/caffeine/

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:44 AM   #40
Guru

City: Montgomery, TX
Vessel Name: Compromise
Vessel Model: Present 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaston View Post
Starbucks isn't coffee.
Agree 100%. Great advertising campaign though to get so many people to drink that stuff.

BobH is offline   Reply With Quote